Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:47 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Well, before the move USCIS has put the visa. It really does not matter where or why you want to move to in the US. First you need to figure out how. That may determine the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Well, before the move USCIS has put the visa. It really does not matter where or why you want to move to in the US. First you need to figure out how. That may determine the rest.
And that will take a very long time.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,809 times
Thank you for all your comments, though some where encouraging a few where negative.
However, one that suck out was from you "Threestep" about the USCIS in respect of a possible visa requirement.Thanks once again i am aware of that.
Here is the deal i am actually a Qualified Registered Nurse, working in an American Healthcare informatics company hence the additional interest. As it stands unfortunately my company does not sponsor foreign Nationals and that suck for people like me.
Anyway, thats my 5 pence worth of Bitching. I just want to live in the States.Is it too much to dream for?

Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
My first bit of advice is to stay in the UK. I'm an American, who is actually trying to move to England at the moment, because I am no longer happy in this country. I think the US is a disasterous nation, it might not appear so at the moment, but I see everything completely going to hell in about 25 years. America's social and economic problems are probably not being reported in Britain, and most tourists do not even realise the state of things when here. If your relatives are happy in Texas, and you want to be with them, maybe it would be a good move for your family, but if you intend to relocate here to escape the problems in Britain, it would be like going from the frying pan into the fire, as they say.
I could not disagree more with everything you said.

I am an American who has recently returned from living in the UK for several years. The standard of living in the UK is lower than it is in the US and you'll make a hell of a lot less money while paying out the nose for...well...everything.

As for crime...you are kidding yourself if you think the UK is somehow better than the US for it. I saw levels of nuisance crime FAR higher than I've ever seen in Dallas...one of America's most crime-ridden cities. In fact, I had to move to the UK to become a crime victim. My house was broken into, people tried dipping their hands into my purse several times, my car was vandalized, someone pushed a firecracker through my mail slot, etc. It was HORRIBLE.

I would strongly urge YOU to reconsider your move to the UK. You'll regret it...most Americans who move to the UK come back within a few years because they just can't stand it.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewaxyyy1 View Post
I am currently thinking seriously about relocating to the USA (Houston area), as i have relatives in the area. However,since i have vacationed in the states before the reality is actually LIVING there. My worries include buying property in a reasonable affluent area though not too expensive but with good schools for my kids. I am seriously thinking of the Katy,Cypress,Houston and possibly the Kinswood area. Please can someone give me some tangible advice as to prospects of where to buy property in that part of Texas,USA.
I'd ask this question in the Houston sub-forum...you'll probably get much better and more specific answers. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM

119 posts, read 456,925 times
Nope...not too much to dream for at all. I'm not familiar with the visa requirements or if the process is difficult, but if this is what you want, then it will be worth going after. Kingwood, Atascocita, and Humble are nice areas outside of Houston. Healthcare is huge around Houston, so you would have no problem finding a job there as a registered nurse. Good luck with this and welcome to Texas!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all your comments, though some where encouraging a few where negative.
However, one that suck out was from you "Threestep" about the USCIS in respect of a possible visa requirement.Thanks once again i am aware of that.
Here is the deal i am actually a Qualified Registered Nurse, working in an American Healthcare informatics company hence the additional interest. As it stands unfortunately my company does not sponsor foreign Nationals and that suck for people like me.
Anyway, thats my 5 pence worth of Bitching. I just want to live in the States.Is it too much to dream for?
No, it's not too much to dream for at all. If you have an immediate relative like a parent, sibling, or child who is a US citizen they can sponsor you for a green card but it will take a long time, often many years.

If I were you I'd see about working as a nurse in the USA; there are lots of British nurses working in the USA on work visas and if you stay on long enough, you can get your green card that way. I've been through the process of getting a Brit a green card to the USA so I know a bit more about it than most. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times
Quote:
I am currently thinking seriously about relocating to the USA (Houston area), as i have relatives in the area. However,since i have vacationed in the states before the reality is actually LIVING there. My worries include buying property in a reasonable affluent area though not too expensive but with good schools for my kids. I am seriously thinking of the Katy,Cypress,Houston and possibly the Kinswood area. Please can someone give me some tangible advice as to prospects of where to buy property in that part of Texas,USA.
Do it I am from the UK and live in San Antonio and love it. It is ok for people who don't live in the UK to say stay there the US is awful but I understand what it is like to live there, make that move now !!! you won't regret it.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,741 times
I think you'd be better off going to Canada oppose to coming to the USA or even staying in England. Yes the U.S. economy is on a rapid decline, whether or not we will recover is up to God; however, from my understanding living in England is a very rough life at this point. I have relatives who have relocated from USA to England and now regrets it...BIG TIME.
Canada's economy is booming and surpassing that of the USA, our dollar is now dollar for dollar and there are many Americans now looking to relocated to Canada, only because it offers pretty much the same lifestyle as that here in the U.S.A with a more sense of serenity.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
So, you still need a visa and update your credential to be able to work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World