Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,489 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever gone to live or study in a place where you didn't you know the language at all? What was it like?

Earlier this year, I went on vacation to a country that I fell completely in love with. I left knowing I would return one day to spend at least a few years there. The problem is that I didn't know the language at all. I'm not a very outgoing, brave person and so it was a struggle trying to communicate at times because I would hold myself back. I went by myself and knew noone. Luckily, most people know at least a little English. The only thing that would hold me back from going back and living there would be the language barrier. How can I manage? Sign language? Lol. I've met people who've gone to live in countries where they didn't know the language and I think that's really brave, it's not something I would do. I'd feel completely incompetent and dumb, like a little kid learning to speak. It must be really frustrating.

I want to hear from your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,642,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Has anyone ever gone to live or study in a place where you didn't you know the language at all? What was it like?

Earlier this year, I went on vacation to a country that I fell completely in love with. I left knowing I would return one day to spend at least a few years there. The problem is that I didn't know the language at all. I'm not a very outgoing, brave person and so it was a struggle trying to communicate at times because I would hold myself back. I went by myself and knew noone. Luckily, most people know at least a little English. The only thing that would hold me back from going back and living there would be the language barrier. How can I manage? Sign language? Lol. I've met people who've gone to live in countries where they didn't know the language and I think that's really brave, it's not something I would do. I'd feel completely incompetent and dumb, like a little kid learning to speak. It must be really frustrating.

If you really like the country, but the only thing is the language barrier, then by all means take the time to learn the language. It's not as frustrating as you might think. Sure, at the beginning stage, nothing sounds very familiar and some things may even make you laugh because it reminds you of something else. But once you've memorized a few simple words and phrases and you know what they mean, you'll feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. As you continue learning, you find yourself able to comminicate in a way that makes makes sense and that others can understand. There are a number of ways to get started, but when you feel serious enough about the language, I'd strongly recommend you learn from a native speaker who also knows your language.

Once you get some good basics, you can begin practicing your new found skills with people who speak that language. At first, you might not be all that great, make mistakes, be unable to carry on an extensive conversation, but that's okay. The more you practice, the better your skills become because you begin to internalize what you've learned. Depending on your motivation interest and desire, it might not take all that long to begin feeling more confident and comfortable. Certainly some people around you will probably be more than glad to help you out with corrections because you've shown an interest in trying to learn to communicate with them in their language. Don't let yourself become discouraged at trying. It really makes a difference in understanding people around you, in being able to carry on a reasonable conversation, or at least be able to communicate some basic and necesssary phrases. I think more people appreciate your effort, no matter how badly you might mangle things. It can make life much easier and may even open a few doors of opportunities that you might not ever have otherwise had available. You don't have to become an expert to appreciate what it can do for you.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,752,103 times
I moved to Holland for a job at age 21 not knowing any Dutch. In the beginning my colleagues helped me with a lot of stuff like filling out forms and reading bills etc, and over time I learned enough to become pretty fluent. I'm lucky that I have a natural ability for languages, but it was easy to pick it up once I had a few basics from my friends. I actually find it easier to learn a language when you are hearing it every day all around you, than from a tape you can't really relate to.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,489 times
Thank you nightbazaar, that's very encouraging, and you're right. There were times when even when I knew certain words and phrases, I was afraid of using them for fear of sounding funny and having people laugh at me. I have to get over that fear.

I think it would actually be extremely easy for me to learn that language because it's a Latin language, the same as my native tongue. I'm sure it would take me only a few months to learn it, and I'm still quite young so that helps. It's just those few months in the beginning where I'm going to be struggling that scare me. Chicagojlo, are you still in Holland? If not, are you still fluent in dutch or have you forgotten it?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 PM

I was in Amsterdam for 8 years and came to Chicago 4 years ago. I do still consider myself fluent in Dutch although I no longer have anyone to practice speaking with (I was working for a Dutch bank until last year). I read the Dutch news online and try to catch a tv show or two online occasionally. My oldest child was born there but she doesn't remember any of the language sadly.

Sadly Dutch isn't a valuable language to learn, if I'd gone to Spain or France it probably would have been more beneficial!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM

You know most countries have some kind of need for native English speaking professionals so it might be better to try and find a job with an international company and move that way - you will get a lot of help in the beginning with documentation and will likely have very understanding colleagues who are used to assisting non-locals to get situated.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,327,650 times
I too would learn the language first, at least the basics. It takes some effort but if you are really motivated to go there, then you will manage to learn quite a few things! Once you're there, it will improve since you'll be hearing it all the time.
As for sign language, though I guess you said it as a joke... Don't forget that it's not an international language and changes from language to language!
Good luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post

What language/country is it?

I've went to to live in a number of countries without knowing the language. Japan, Korea, Brazil, and Spain.

I didn't know the language when I first went to any of those countries. But, I tried to study on the side.

I've also traveled to another 40+ countries...so have a lot of experience and years and years of being in various countries and using various forms of communication.

Also, each country is completely different in regards to their ability in English, and how English-friendly the place is. Even if there isn't much English, there are a ton of ways to communicate with very little shared language.

First though, which country are you highly interested in? Maybe it's a place I know well, and could be very specific about it?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
I went to Ecuador to work for one year and I didn't know any Spanish. But people were very friendly and I managed using a dictionary and the few English speakers were more than willing to help if I had a major translation problem.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 AM

727 posts, read 540,757 times
No. I would not even move to countries where english is main language because I am beginner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World