Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 19,353 times
I would think Indianapolis would rank pretty high on the list, maybe Louisville with Europeans. Indycar racing and horse racing are pretty popular sports and Indianapolis has hosted the European Formula 1 many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
New York
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Detroit
Boston
Las Vegas
Dallas

Really, it's kind of impossible to put together a top 10 list though because different countries will have different recognition based on trade and cultural ties. Mexicans may be more familiar with southern cities such as San Antonio, San Diego, and El Paso. Chinese may be more familiar with San Francisco and Seattle due to the shipping trade and a large Chinese population. Russians may be more familiar with Anchorage rather than Atlanta.

Last edited by mustang84; 10-14-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I would say:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Boston
Philadelphia
Washington, DC
Las Vegas

And finally.....I guess New Orleans.
This is the list right here. A few people mentioned San Diego, Houston and Atlanta but I wouldn't think they were on the list.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:32 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
NY, Hollywood, Vegas, Los Angeles, Wash. DC, SF

Peoples' eyes get pretty big when the first 3 come up in a conversation.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I will agree that NYC, LA (Hollywood), Las Vegas, DC, San Fransisco, New Orleans and Orlando (for Disney World), and Chicago (commerce, and history of gangsters) are world famous.

Some interesting quirks are (for the Japanese perspective):
Seattle / Tacoma / Olympia, WA(many Japanese live in both places)
Silicon Valley (many will erroneously say that Bill Gates lives there, when any Mac person will tell you that Steve Jobs does and it's an insult to say Gates lives there)
Detroit (because yeah ... Japanese cars ftw unseating the Big Three, to them anyway, and also an example of what NOT to become)

Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I use to teach English in Brazil, and since I was an American, people use to project me to probably be from New York. So someone drew a picture, and had me the American with the NY shirt. I thought it was really cool, and when I left Brazil, I moved to New York City for a few years. I think if I hadn't moved to Brazil, I might not have gained the interest in that city to the same degree.

On the opposite side, whenever I talk to Europeans, they seem to project most Americans as being hicks from Arkansas or somewhere.

Seems like a lot of this has to do with how a person or other nation projects Americans to be.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthevoid View Post
I would think Indianapolis would rank pretty high on the list, maybe Louisville with Europeans. Indycar racing and horse racing are pretty popular sports and Indianapolis has hosted the European Formula 1 many times.
Sorry, Indy wouldn't make the list

NYC
DC
Chicago
LA
Las Vegas
Dallas
Boston
San Franscisco
Miami
Atlanta (only because of Olympics)

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Asides from the obvious ones, (NY, LA, Vegas, Chicago, Sanfransico, Miami) the only ones I really recognise at all are the ones I see in the news.

New Orleans (Because of the Hurricane)
Atlanta (Because of the Olypmpics)
Dallas (The famous TV show of the same name)
Detroit (Unemployment etc)
and my new farvoite, Cleveland, the hasilty made tourist video on you tube gives me a laugh every time.

I must admit i had no idea Disney world was in Orlando, or where orlando is for that matter.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-14-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,731 times
Not so much anymore, but in the early 90's Santa Fe, NM was named the #1 travel destination in the world by Conde Nast travel magazine. It exploded in popularity with many Hollywood actors and other famous people buying homes there. "Santa Fe Style" was a big influence at the time. I bet if this survey had been taken then Santa Fe would be on the list. Also much of the world's view of the U.S. is through our movies. From that perspective New York City and Washington D.C. are probably the top 2. And Hollywood, CA because everyone knows Hollywood is the capital of the movie industry in the U.S..

Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 AM

11 posts, read 18,024 times
Hello! I'm from Latvia and for me the most recognizable cities of U.S. are

1. Washington DC
2. Holliwood
3. Los Angeles
4. New York
5. San Fracisko
6. Miami
7. Houston
8. Orlando
9. Dallas
10. Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World