Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

Money. I was on a "pilgrimage" to Concentration camps with my great-Uncle ( who is a survivor) and Great Aunt in the mid 80s before the Berlin Wall fell. When they found out we were going to East Germany, different West German people we met asked us if we could deliver money to their Eastern German relatives trapped behind the wall , so armed with quite a lot of cash and various names and addresses we spent our first day in East Berlin going from one appartment to another delivering money .

Well worth the risk and of course for us a lot less risky than for German people. We spread the money between the three of us . I found it very rewarding. There was a parallel underground economy in US Dollars and Deutschmarks at the time so it was those we took with us as well as some extra Marks der DDR.

Being part of a group of Death Camp survivors I think made us less prone to being searched and interrogated . I was only about 14 at the time.

Pepper Spray into Britain. I had not realised it was illegal to defend yourself in the UK , in France it is normal for women to carry them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
I´ve never smuggled anything other than the odd piece of fruit, but my friend´s brother tried to smuggle in his Mexican girlfriend and got caught. This was in the early 90´s and I think he was let off with a warning. They ended up getting married so she doesn't have to hide in the trunk anymore when they cross the border.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Sausages and black pudding. On the flights from Ireland to NY. Many times in the 80's and 90's/

Not so much now. Now we bring chocolate and taytos

Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i have smuggled food from outside the cinema, shock horror i know
haha thats the worst thing I ever smuggled too was some cheez-its and a bottle of diet pepsi into the movie theater.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM

312 posts, read 909,683 times
I've smuggled various drugs on airplanes, I usually put it in my underwear.
Cocaine, hasch, Ecstasy etc. But I don't take those kind of risks anymore, even though it's very simple and hard to get caught.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
haha thats the worst thing I ever smuggled too was some cheez-its and a bottle of diet pepsi into the movie theater.
You got Cheez-its in Canada?!? Where? Or did you smuggle them in from the US?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
No, but even if I had I'm not going to put my business out there lol.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
I just smuggled packets of Lard in from the UK cos I couldn't get it here ....... I was really nervous incse there were sniffer dogs but thankfully not..... my husband can have pork pies now !!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Technically, almost every single Canadian has smuggled something into the country from the U.S.

The reason being is that there are controls and duties/taxes on what you can bring back into Canada when you go shopping in the States. So Canadians all (well, almost all) will for example wear new clothes and shoes they bought in the States when crossing the border coming back home. They think nothing of it, but it is technically still smuggling.

Canadians also generally will lie to their country's border guards about how much they spent in the U.S., in the hopes of not getting caught (the odds of getting away with this are pretty good, which is why most people do it).

Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Back in the late 80's / early 90's I used to make runs from Buffalo NY to Ft Erie Canada to deliver golf clubs. 1 set at a time...
My job (I worked in golf pro shop) had me go to the driving range and hit the clubs, put them in an old bag and then drive to a restaurant in Ft Erie to meet someone who gave me $100 cash.
It was really easy and I never got questioned since my family had a cottage in Ft Erie and I crossed the bridge several times a week anyway. Pre-9/11 they never batted an eye.
I didn't really think I was doing something that bad, though I did get a bit nervous talking to customs. I was 17 yrs old and liked the extra money. Knowing what I know now I would never have done that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World