Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

In what country do you feel more free, have a better quality of life in? What would you trade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
In what country do you feel more free, have a better quality of life in? What would you trade?
Tough. Well, the concept of 'freedom' is a tough one. I struggle with the lack of freedom in the States. Can't drink a beer to watch a sunset. If you can make a killer burrito or other street food, you are not free to start a small little business with low overhead on the corner. I see a gazillion restrictions everywhere in the U.S.

However, what still always attracts me back to the States...is that I'm a citizen of that country. So, simple things like buying property, etc. I feel more assured about, than if doing it abroad. I don't know if those things are imaginary concerns or real concerns though. But, generally, I personally just like the idea of owning property in my country, just for my own sense of security. (I don't own anything now, but that thought often occurs in my mind).

QUALITY OF LIFE - It depends on what a person values. If a person values a large house and nice car and shopping and consuming goods. Than the U.S. is the best country in the world for that. If a person wants more community-involvement, more family-oriented, more spend-time-with-others, and living in safe urban communities, than the U.S. is horrible for that - especially safe urban environments. That simply does not exist in the U.S. You can find safe urban environments almost everywhere else in the world though, especially Asia, and I think Europe, or at least compared to the U.S. anyways.

Being an American though, I do miss the U.S. in some ways. I like the diversity of people and foods a lot. I like the immensity of the U.S. There are a tremendous amount of different choices.

Basically, I look at each country, including staying abroad or going back to the U.S., as a TRADE-OFF. With every country, including the U.S., you can make a list of LOSSES and GAINS, and you just have to weigh them out to see which you'd prefer for yourself at that time in your life.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Americans living overseas - do you miss America, or prefer your new country?

I emigrated from the U.S. in January 2000, and I can honestly say that I have never for one second missed it, nor have I ever missed a product, restaurant, food, etc.

I was born and raised in the U.S., lived there sixty years, so clearly I was shaped by that experience, and my passport says that I am a U.S. citizen, but I feel no connection with the country.

This may be due to the fact that while life is more bureaucratic here and in many respects things are less efficient, my own personal quality of life is far, far, far better in every respect and, thus, there is nothing whatsoever to miss.

"Things" are more expensive where I live, but I have every "thing" that I need and I am not inclined to feel the necessity of having more of them simply because they are the latest must-have or because they are the latest improved version of some "thing" that was purchased two years ago. Perhaps because of the expensiveness of material goods, most people's lives are turned in other directions. And the resident foreign population in this town seems in large measure to be here because the town environment encourages a leisurely, easy-going life where music, reading, discussion are valued as a part of casual, everday life.

As I have mentioned before in response to similar questions, I decided at one point, being in my seventies now, that I should in all common sense investigate whether or not retiring to a continuous care development in the U.S. might not be a wise course of action of a person in declining health. I returned to the U.S. for five weeks. It became totally, crystal clear that I would be making a huge step down in every area that is meaningful and positive and life-enhancing to me. I cannot imagine ever returning, even for a visit.

The America that made me value and appreciate the things I do, has been in its grave for decades.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
What would you trade?
I have lived in many countries across three continents, about 1/4 of the world and two broad cultural areas (could be broken down into any number of subdivisions).

The "American" dream used to be to be able to start and successfully develop your own business or reach a high level in your chosen profession, the only concrete preventive restriction being the limits of your own talent. In only very recent years, the "American" dream has degraded into the petty illusion of home "ownership" (but in reality "debtorship") and material consumption through cheap credit. Due to the social and economic policies behind this visible transformation, the US is now a seriously unstable, even scary, society.

The US has been the source of the best life-changing industry and technology, and the organizational and management models for applying them to society, most recently telecommunications and information systems and the fusion of the two.

But with the global spread of industrialization and technologies, on the one hand, and the degradation of the "American" dream, on the other, with all its implications for economic and social policy, the period of US exceptionalism in world history has come to an end, there is no longer any trade off, broadly speaking.

So now, in my view, the choice of place to live can be mainly determined by cultural considerations for those who perceive a difference.

To be sure, family considerations, economic resources to start out with, and education go a long way in shaping these perceptions, the ability to do anything about it, and the choices that one pursues.

I prefer to live in a culture where family is still the organizing social principle, and I can walk just a few feet to buy bread - or even better, flour and make bread at home -, instead of being forced, against my will, to energize a two-ton vehicle and pay insurance for it.

Do I miss the US?

Bread is the staff of life.

So, regrettably, despite the amber waves of grain, because of dehumanizing distribution and zoning, and the destructive fallout on the fabric of social life, not at all.

I believe it is possible to spread and enjoy the benefits of industrialization while at the same time preserving the best of culture and family life. In my experience, US soil is not the most fertile for achieving that - it may even be sour - and there are better opportunities elsewhere.

With all respect for those who still enjoy the best of both in the US and there still feel at home.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 01-08-2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Yes, I miss it. I feel more comfortable and at home in America. That is not to say I dislike living in England, there are a lot of things I love about it and will miss when I move back home. But as you can see, I still consider the US my home and intend to move back someday.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
quote: If a person wants more community-involvement, more family-oriented, more spend-time-with-others, and living in safe urban communities, than the U.S. is horrible for that - especially safe urban environments. That simply does not exist in the U.S. You can find safe urban environments almost everywhere else in the world though, especially Asia, and I think Europe, or at least compared to the U.S. anyways.

I must disagree with this. I think there are plenty of communities and towns like this in the US- family oriented, spend time with others, etc.- as well as in neighborhoods in even the biggest cities.

There is, of course, no 100% safety on the planet- but certainly there is plenty of safety to be found in the US urban environment. One has to imagine microcosms within larger communities.

Also, many people are bothered by the opposite problem- too much neighborly attention and the desire to fend off too avid invitations of community involvement.

I find Americans, in general, to be a welcoming people. If you display the proper attitude of respect toward them and their culture (you don't have to agree with it or like it!), they will embrace you. If you complain, criticize, and have an attitude of superiority towards your own country- then they will not befriend you.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: If a person wants more community-involvement, more family-oriented, more spend-time-with-others, and living in safe urban communities, than the U.S. is horrible for that - especially safe urban environments. That simply does not exist in the U.S. You can find safe urban environments almost everywhere else in the world though, especially Asia, and I think Europe, or at least compared to the U.S. anyways.

I must disagree with this. I think there are plenty of communities and towns like this in the US- family oriented, spend time with others, etc.- as well as in neighborhoods in even the biggest cities.
I guess I should have prefaced that. True they exist, but meant without needing to be very high income to get in those neighborhoods.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Exactly.

All communities are different no matter where you go.

Where I live in the USA there is tons of community involvement and family oriented activities. It's a very close community and while not perfect, has everything you could ever need.

In a town of 2800 we've got a newspaper, monthly magazine, a vibrant main street, two popular Christmas and summer festivals that draw tens of thousands, a theater that is very active with concerts and plays, a motorsport event that is part of a national championship, a local lake, parks and so on. It's a very busy active area with lots of community involvement.

And you can buy a house for $80K on the low end and a mansion sized new house runs about $400K-$500K. Most homes are around $100K-$200k.

So those places are out there. There are good and bad towns, one just has to do their research. I remember the first time I came here I got out of the car was like "this is it".

Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I decided at one point, being in my seventies now, that I should in all common sense investigate whether or not retiring to a continuous care development in the U.S. might not be a wise course of action of a person in declining health. I returned to the U.S. for five weeks. It became totally, crystal clear that I would be making a huge step down in every area that is meaningful and positive and life-enhancing to me. I cannot imagine ever returning, even for a visit.
That's the other difficult part of going back to the States - a seriously broken healthcare system.

By son was born overseas, in Japan, and for 5 days of 24-7 care for both my wife and son, PLUS the delivery itself, and all the food and nurses and everything else WITH a private room for my wife and newborn. The total cost was US$2,000 (without insurance).

In the States, I can't even imagine what the equivalent would cost.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 33,611 times
Having been to 12 countries, I can honestly say that I've experienced better social connection, dating and mental health overseas. The quality of people you meet seem much better and more authentic/genuine as well.

It's a refreshing difference for me, coming from the dysfunctional capital of the world - California (where almost everyone who grew up there has issues and baggage).

America is good for consumer choices and making money and "living to work" but not for social connection. People there are too paranoid, isolated and segregated (psychologically). But you don't notice the difference until you go overseas and experience the opposite.

I'm sure many expats here can relate.

One interesting tidbit that is not often discussed: In other countries, people DO NOT go to therapists or counselors. They have close friends and family members to talk to. Having to go to a therapist is unheard of, and mostly a US phenomenon. This is obvious to any expat, but for some reason no one dares to point this out, for we are only allowed in America to 1) pretend that everything is great, or 2) blame/improve yourself, but not to blame society or the environment. Thus the culture is in denial. And this simple comparison reveals that.

Also, if you hit rock bottom in the US and lose everything, no one will care about you, as it's every man for himself. But in most countries, people have close networks that help them in times of crises.

Americans often do not know about this difference, and assume that everywhere else is the same or worse. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World