Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:37 PM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times

Advertisements

Not the cheapest.
Some South Koreans learn English in the Phillippines because it is cheaper than developed countries.
Filipino accent is different from other English accents.
Foreigners can communicate easily with the locals in the Phillippines using only English.

English is used as a second language in the Phillippines, local people speak Tagalog and other local languages when they are not talking to foreigners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_williams View Post
The best place to learn English is Australia, its cheaper than any other country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
In Antigua, Guatemala, I asked a Japanese boy if he was there to study Spanish. "No, Engrish!". After their Spanish classes, hundreds of students sitting around the parque or cafes socializing in English with any friendly stranger, free.

Philippines would not be a good place. Everyone reads and writes English very well, but they speak English very fast with an accent that only they themselves understand.

Last edited by arr430; 12-06-2020 at 09:38 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 10:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Besides the obvious like the Netherlands, Sweden, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Germany, Norway, Belgium, etc, an honourable mention should go to Lebanon. I was surprised to see how many natives there spoke decent, basic & rather intelligible English. Furthermore, those born and raised in the cities of Iraqi Kurdistan in Northern Iraq also had basic knowledge of English, to my surprise.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Major countries where educated people or people in service industry speak the worst English (my own experience only):

China, Japan
Mexico
Italy
... ...

Old 12-07-2020, 03:06 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Major countries where educated people or people in service industry speak the worst English (my own experience only):

China, Japan
Mexico
Italy
... ...
I've found the English in Japanese hotels (I'm talking about 4 and 5 star hotels in Fukuoka that I stayed at to include the Grand Hyatt and the Hilton Fukuoka Seahawk) to be good for getting by but not as good as I thought it would be. Curious to know how it is throughout other parts of Japan, to include Tokyo.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've found the English in Japanese hotels (I'm talking about 4 and 5 star hotels in Fukuoka that I stayed at to include the Grand Hyatt and the Hilton Fukuoka Seahawk) to be good for getting by but not as good as I thought it would be. Curious to know how it is throughout other parts of Japan, to include Tokyo.
I visited Mayazaki several years ago.
Ordinary bank clerks, waitresses and so on cannot communicate in English.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:24 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I would not learn English from any country that learns English as a second language, which includes all of Africa, where English is learned (to the extent that it is learned . . . many people in those countries do not have a firm grasp of the English language at all) only after people have learned their tribal languages. The African continent has been funny in this regard, as quite a few countries have English as an official language, but this doesn't not mean that English is actually the lingua franca in the countries in question on the continent. For instance, in Ghana, the lingua franca is Twi/Fante, not English. If you want to get by in Ghana on a day to day basis, you'll want to understand/be able to speak Twi/Fante. Yes, knowing English helps, especially if you have a business that caters to foreigners who speak English, but it's not the same.

The list was compiled by the University of New South Wales... although it’s strange how Ghana and other African countries made it but not Malaysia / Philippines, probably the university does not want people from nearby countries to flood their university
https://www.international.unsw.edu.a...guage_tid=4024

Old 12-08-2020, 05:32 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,280 times
25 countries / territories considered as English speaking countries / territories by the University of Sydney
https://www.sydney.edu.au/study/how-...uirements.html

AFRICA (9)
Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Botswana, Lesotho

OCEANIA (8)
Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Tonga, American Samoa

NORTH AMERICA (4)
United States, Canada, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago

EUROPE (2)
United Kingdom, Ireland

ASIA (1)
Singapore

SOUTH AMERICA (1)
Guyana

Old 12-08-2020, 06:51 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
The list was compiled by the University of New South Wales... although it’s strange how Ghana and other African countries made it but not Malaysia / Philippines, probably the university does not want people from nearby countries to flood their university
https://www.international.unsw.edu.a...guage_tid=4024
I spent a semester abroad at UNSW, so it was good to get back on its website to read that piece.

But, yeah, to your point that is odd. I've been to both Malaysia and the Philippines, and the locals in both countries seemed to have a solid grasp of English. Granted, I primarily dealt with service employees (at hotels and restaurants) and not the public generally, but I was much more impressed by the command of the English language I experienced in these countries than I was in Japan (regarding my experience with Japanese service workers' English). Of course, Japan isn't on the list of English speaking countries, but I only reference it in relation to an earlier post in this thread.

Note, I wouldn't exactly go by the UNSM list as an authoritative list of English speaking nations, especially since it only mentions a couple of English-speaking Caribbean nations. English is the first language of a very solid number of Caribbean nations, to include Antigua & Barbuda, the Bahamas (not really Caribbean, but it's in the Caribbean Community), Barbados, Dominica, Guyana, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. Perhaps they listed those English speaking countries that they get the highest number of students from?

Old 12-11-2020, 03:41 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times
Most schools in countries not ruled by the US and UK teach American English. Including Philippines, Brazil, Mexico, Vietnam, China, Korea and Japan.

The Phillippines is surely a cheaper place to learn American pronunciations and spelling.
There are fluent English speakers in many developing countries ruled by the British Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World