Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:44 AM

14,818 posts, read 11,930,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Most schools in countries not ruled by the US and UK teach American English. Including Philippines, Brazil, Mexico, Vietnam, China, Korea and Japan.

The Phillippines is surely a cheaper place to learn American pronunciations and spelling.
There are fluent English speakers in many developing countries ruled by the British Empire.
There is no such thing as 'American English', just like there is no such thing as Canadian English or Australian English, the UK and the US speak the same language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 09:08 AM

14,220 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as 'American English', just like there is no such thing as Canadian English or Australian English, the UK and the US speak the same language.
You are correct that people in all those countries speak mutually intelligible dialects of the same language. We know that we all speak English because we easily communicate with each other. However, "American English" is shorthand for "the dialect of English that is the standard spoken and written language in the United States." That's understood. Some people specifically want to learn that dialect.

What we don't need is one group claiming that their dialect is by default the one correct "English language" because "they invented it" (actually, that would have been their ancestors, who were common ancestors of the world's other English-speakers as well), and another group assuming that their greater numbers make their dialect superior. You didn't do this, but many people do.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,705,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Most schools in countries not ruled by the US and UK teach American English. Including Philippines, Brazil, Mexico, Vietnam, China, Korea and Japan.

The Phillippines is surely a cheaper place to learn American pronunciations and spelling.
There are fluent English speakers in many developing countries ruled by the British Empire.
When I was a student in China we learned British English.
So we learned colour not color, civilsation not civilization.

However, many people switch to American English in college by themselves.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I was a student in China we learned British English.
So we learned colour not color, civilsation not civilization.

However, many people switch to American English in college by themselves.
There will be no discernible difference, how you spell colour will be irrelevant in your ability to communicate in English.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:38 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,702,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think the US midwest. Most people speak no other language so it's total immersion. The accent is universaly understandable. It is probably "standard" English today.
Midwest accent is the clearest on the planet.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Midwest accent is the clearest on the planet.
No it isn't, not to my ears! It might well be 'the clearest on the planet' to people living there but to me the clearest on the planet is the SE UK accent............................I wonder why , I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that Australian English is the 'clearest on the planet'............ to Australian ears? . Its all subjective. I find an Australian easier to understand than an American (though I don't actually have much trouble understanding either), I don't have any issues with the Scots or the Irish or the Scouse or Geordie etc.............. again I wonder why that would be? . Claiming the English that one speaks is somehow the 'clearest' is just folly.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:49 AM

331 posts, read 180,648 times
Quote:
No it isn't, not to my ears! It might well be 'the clearest on the planet' to people living there but to me the clearest on the planet is the SE UK accent............................I wonder why , I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that Australian English is the 'clearest on the planet'............ to Australian ears? . Its all subjective. I find an Australian easier to understand than an American (though I don't actually have much trouble understanding either), I don't have any issues with the Scots or the Irish or the Scouse or Geordie etc.............. again I wonder why that would be? . Claiming the English that one speaks is somehow the 'clearest' is just folly.
I can listen to Scousers talk all day even if I don't understand it . Most Midwesterners... I would prefer not to understand.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:07 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,247,323 times
Quote:
completely untrue , its a common description with respect of both pronunciation and spelling

many words are spelt differently in america than in the UK

Old 12-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
completely untrue , its a common description with respect of both pronunciation and spelling

many words are spelt differently in america than in the UK
A difference in spelling doesn't make it a different language, as for pronunciation people in Liverpool pronounce words differently to people in Manchester despite being 30 miles apart and they're all speaking English. Every post on this site I understand as it's all written in English - the English kind! For example your post here - all English English, if what our cousin's across the pond speak a different language perhaps you can say exactly the same thing again but this time in ''American English'? As an Irishman do you claim there is such a language as 'Irish English'? is there an 'Australian English'? A New Zealand English? I think what we all speak is just 'English'.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:09 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,247,323 times
Quote:
A difference in spelling doesn't make it a different language, as for pronunciation people in Liverpool pronounce words differently to people in Manchester despite being 30 miles apart and they're all speaking English. Every post on this site I understand as it's all written in English - the English kind! For example your post here - all English English, if what our cousin's across the pond speak a different language perhaps you can say exactly the same thing again but this time in ''American English'? As an Irishman do you claim there is such a language as 'Irish English'? is there an 'Australian English'? A New Zealand English? I think what we all speak is just 'English'.
whether it meets any official formal definition is irrelevant

" australian english "

" kiwi english "

" american english "

" irish english "

all are commonly accepted as having different variations of the language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World