Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM

241 posts, read 744,173 times

Advertisements

Tokyo is expensive overall, but you can always find cheaper places, cheaper food. The taxes can be quite high imo, and music entertainment prices are obscene (clubs, live shows, concerts, CDs). However, I make it, others do, and you don't see the same amount of poverty that you see in the US. 3/4 of the people walking around look nicely dressed and in good health. People don't need cars either, so that saves people quite a bit of money that they can then use to have fun, buy crap, or travel. If you want a really big house or something near the the city, it'll cost a fortune. Most people live in smaller places, which is fine because there is plenty to do besides sitting around in a large house all day. <br>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,372,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
The US never makes these lists either. Really sad. I hope by some miracle the democracy wave hitting NA and the ME finds its way to the US. If you can deal with the extra crime, more noticeable poverty and homelessness, lack of public transportation, difficulty with healthcare, and declining educashun, then there are a few nice cities.
I've read the motivation behind why the U.S. never makes this particular yearly list, and it's because of 9-11. Apparently the authors believe the U.S. could be attacked by terrorists at any moment, so therefore none of the cities can be on that list.

Otherwise, if you asked me, I'd rather be in Honolulu or San Diego or somewhere (both very safe and beautiful places) over Canadian city #4...

Not only that, but I'd think cities like Seattle, Portland or Minneapolis all very safe cities with a high quality of life. I think San Francisco would be on par with Vancouver, both of which are safe, but certainly have their heroin epidemics, etc.

But anyways, personally I think the list just needs to be more balanced. I certainly wouldn't want to see the same worldlist with an American city or two added on.

It would still have the major flaw of being way too English language-centric.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,189,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've read the motivation behind why the U.S. never makes this particular yearly list, and it's because of 9-11. Apparently the authors believe the U.S. could be attacked by terrorists at any moment, so therefore none of the cities can be on that list.

Otherwise, if you asked me, I'd rather be in Honolulu or San Diego or somewhere (both very safe and beautiful places) over Canadian city #4...

Not only that, but I'd think cities like Seattle, Portland or Minneapolis all very safe cities with a high quality of life. I think San Francisco would be on par with Vancouver, both of which are safe, but certainly have their heroin epidemics, etc.

But anyways, personally I think the list just needs to be more balanced. I certainly wouldn't want to see the same worldlist with an American city or two added on.

It would still have the major flaw of being way too English language-centric.
English is the language of the world...
Have you visited any city on this list?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,372,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
English is the language of the world...
Have you visited any city on this list?
Yes.

I realize you are Australian, and very proud of Australia. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Australia either. But you seem very defensive on this thread nontheless.

I'm must saying that the world is a big world. I've been to half of those cities on the list, and about 50+ other countries and most of their cities as well. Maybe if I'd never traveled to a non-english speaking country before, it would be easier for me to believe they shouldn't make these lists.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 AM

241 posts, read 744,173 times
That's an interesting point. Need to find these lists prior to 2001 to see if there was a dramatic shift around then. Yeah, SF is quite nice.

Quote:

Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,558,934 times
You can cherry pick stats all you want to craft a list that comes up with a very similar result year after year. I've traveled a fair bit in my life and have been to a good number of those cities. They are very nice, but they aren't better or markedly better than many US cities. I'd pit Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Jose, San Francisco, Des Moines, Denver or Honolulu against most of them any day in many areas. I'm not an apologist for the US. I would have loved to see a single payer health care plan in this country decades ago. Still, many US cities are extremely livable in one critical area that a lot of these list winners can't match - you can actually afford to "live" in them.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 AM

37,406 posts, read 39,869,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
considering the combination of

health care
environment
culture
infrastructure

how do the cities you mentioned beat Vancouver or Melbourne?

Safety is an aspect .... there are other considerations.. cost of living? etc
Health care in all the East Asian cities mentioned (Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul, Hong Kong, but I'd throw in Taipei and various smaller but still big Japanese cities like Nagoya, Kobe, Kyoto, etc.) is very good and also quite affordable.

Environment in terms of beautiful natural environment, sustainability, pollution, general cleanliness, etc. is generally way up there and comparable to the best of the world.

Culture is a mish-mash as it depends on how much you like that countries culture, but I don't really find it deficient and these cities are all generally fairly cosmopolitan with significant expatriate populations (including quite a few Australians).

Infrastructure is far and away where these countries shine because their mass transit systems are on the whole extensive, clean, affordable, and well-run. Other kinds of infrastructure is done well, too (broadband penetration and mobile/wireless connection, great airports with flights to a lot of interesting stories, oftentimes high speed rail networks to other cities within the region, etc.)

Safety ranks up there with the best in the world. None, and I mean none, of these cities have significant levels of crime. Cost-of-living varies from city to city (Tokyo and Hong Kong get especially hurt by that), but are generally on par with the rest of the world except good food seems to be cheaper in East Asian cities.

It seems odd to me that the cities in East Asia wouldn't make a significant appearance on the list given how they compare well by almost any metric. All of these cities are in wealthy and developed countries/entities with Human Development Indexes comparable to Canada, Australia, and the nations of Europe.

It's definitely a little bit skewed.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 AM

545 posts, read 1,559,188 times
I think the ranking for Vancouver is very fair.

I think Osaka in the rankings but it's in the 20s.

In terms of price, I think the assumption is that you are wealthy.

It's like ranking anything. Price is not a factor. Once they rank it, it's up to you to decide if you can afford it.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,062,882 times
Same old places. Agree Oz and Canada over represented again. Perth and Vancouver two of the most inflated cities imaginable.

I would have included Munich, Berlin,Hamburg,Berne, Lucerne,Antwerp, Lille, Lyon, Montpellier,Singapore, all safe,well located,good medical services and interesting.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,062,882 times
Quote:
Yes.

I realize you are Australian, and very proud of Australia. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Australia either. But you seem very defensive on this thread nontheless.

I'm must saying that the world is a big world. I've been to half of those cities on the list, and about 50+ other countries and most of their cities as well. Maybe if I'd never traveled to a non-english speaking country before, it would be easier for me to believe they shouldn't make these lists.
Indeed way too Anglocentric. Actually there are a lot of things impacting, in my mind anyway,which would cast doubt on so many Australian cities being ranked so highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World