Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,879,575 times

Advertisements

it depends what you like in a city, some may like the quiet life and some may like a party city. me personally sevilla would be top of my list closely followed by rio. But i think for the 'average' person places like tokyo, london, sydney and new york would probally be up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 AM

342 posts, read 1,930,536 times
These lists are meaningless because "liveable" means different things to different people.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
With enough money, you can buy anything, including "liveability". Obviously, the most expensive city to live in would be the most liveable, if you have enough money, because it has all the amenities that people of wealth expect their city to have. No city is liveable if you (or most of your fellow citizens) don't have enough money.

I would be unwilling to pay the cost (even if I could afford it) of living in any of the so-called liveable cities, because they are liveable only for the rich.

Is anybody giving points for the city that has the most affordable and efficient public transport, or the best variety of locally-grown produce, or the safest city parks, or the most amenable climate? Does any of that count for "liveability", or only natural scenery and the music scene and great universities and fashionable shops and world-class medical centers to prolong the lives of the rich.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-24-2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,345,880 times
Quote:
Is anybody giving points for the city that has the most affordable and efficient public transport, or the best variety of locally-grown produce, or the safest city parks, or the most amenable climate? Does any of that count for "liveability", or only natural scenery and the music scene and great universities and fashionable shops and world-class medical centers to prolong the lives of the rich.
To me, the points you named are very important, especially public transport and safety in public parks. Low crime, low air pollution, clean water and environmental protection are very essential, too.
Climate depends on your personal attitude, some people prefer the Nevada desert, others the Northern Territories with its ice roads.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

355 posts, read 1,002,266 times
Violent crime is a significant issue in US cities, which is why they never make the list. Lack of universal healthcare, draconian laws, culture wars, all contribute to the stress experienced by Americans which decreases the liveability index.

Ask yourselves this: Would you bestow a top liveability index upon a city where maternity leaves are extremely short, or where capital punishment takes place? I wouldn't.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM

282 posts, read 964,793 times
I live in Sydney and I love it here, it's beautiful city with lots of things to do, nice weather, great beaches, awesome people, but besides that I don't see anything special here compared to Bratislava, where I'm from. The cost of living here is much more expensive, the crime is much higher, public transportation about the same.. I wouldn't take this so seriously.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,680,406 times
Calgary ... really ... Calgary? That alone - in my opinion - throws this entire list into question.

And, I couldn't care less that any US cities don't make the list - it's our own fault. Wake up America!

As one earlier poster alluded to, we could have the finest health care system in the world tomorrow, if the teabaggin' pinheads would stop voting against their own interest. Single payer is, and always has been, the way to go!

That said, having lived in "number 29" for an extended period of time, there's no way anyone is going to convince me that it's a better living experience than any number of cities in the US. Sorry Pittsburgh, I really like you, but you are in the most reactionary state in the Northeast (just the luck of the draw, I guess).

Don't even get me started on public transit! Los Angeles - yes LA - had one of the finest streetcar systems in the world before GM bought it and had it dismantled!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,279,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
it depends what you like in a city, some may like the quiet life and some may like a party city. me personally sevilla would be top of my list closely followed by rio. But i think for the 'average' person places like tokyo, london, sydney and new york would probally be up there
I would agree with the Sevilla comment. When I lived in Spain it was probably my favorite city to visit. It was a very clean, pretty city. I noticed a ton of bike trails and the public transit system seemed decent if not good.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,680,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I would agree with the Sevilla comment. When I lived in Spain it was probably my favorite city to visit. It was a very clean, pretty city. I noticed a ton of bike trails and the public transit system seemed decent if not good.
Apparently, though it's 2000 years old and dripping with Roman/Islamic/Christian history, it's not Calgary. So, sorry, I can't believe you - clearly it doesn't make the cut.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,177,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes.

I realize you are Australian, and very proud of Australia. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Australia either. But you seem very defensive on this thread nontheless.

I'm must saying that the world is a big world. I've been to half of those cities on the list, and about 50+ other countries and most of their cities as well. Maybe if I'd never traveled to a non-english speaking country before, it would be easier for me to believe they shouldn't make these lists.
lol. honestly I think you're reading into any defensive nature. I am merely querying your statements.

I think I did mention that it is inaccurate, but I did think Melbourne & Vancouver deserved to be up there.

I never said that a non-english speaking country should not make the list, just that English is spoken all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Health care in all the East Asian cities mentioned (Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul, Hong Kong, but I'd throw in Taipei and various smaller but still big Japanese cities like Nagoya, Kobe, Kyoto, etc.) is very good and also quite affordable.

Environment in terms of beautiful natural environment, sustainability, pollution, general cleanliness, etc. is generally way up there and comparable to the best of the world.

Culture is a mish-mash as it depends on how much you like that countries culture, but I don't really find it deficient and these cities are all generally fairly cosmopolitan with significant expatriate populations (including quite a few Australians).

Infrastructure is far and away where these countries shine because their mass transit systems are on the whole extensive, clean, affordable, and well-run. Other kinds of infrastructure is done well, too (broadband penetration and mobile/wireless connection, great airports with flights to a lot of interesting stories, oftentimes high speed rail networks to other cities within the region, etc.)

Safety ranks up there with the best in the world. None, and I mean none, of these cities have significant levels of crime. Cost-of-living varies from city to city (Tokyo and Hong Kong get especially hurt by that), but are generally on par with the rest of the world except good food seems to be cheaper in East Asian cities.

It seems odd to me that the cities in East Asia wouldn't make a significant appearance on the list given how they compare well by almost any metric. All of these cities are in wealthy and developed countries/entities with Human Development Indexes comparable to Canada, Australia, and the nations of Europe.

It's definitely a little bit skewed.
You're right, parts of Asia are simply stunning.

Regarding Japan, I think Tokyo might be too - expensive & over populated but definitely Kyoto or Osaka could make the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World