Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM

187 posts, read 541,403 times

Advertisements

As a matter of fact, yes, quite often. As many of you can probably guess by glancing at my screen name, I am from Miami, I was born and raised here. Generally I don't really consider myself an American since I cannot really associate with mainstream American culture or any particular region such as the South, Midwest, etc., although technically I am because I was born here and have never lived anywhere else. I do like to think of myself as being Cuban though, since that's where my entire family is from and where my parents actually lived until 19 years ago, and I am very familiar with the culture, food, speech, etc.

Well, usually in the United States unless I say where I'm from people assume that I'm Puerto Rican or Mexican. If I say I'm from Miami I automatically become Cuban. I do look Hispanic; although I am lighter skinned than most other Latin Americans, I have black hair and brown eyes. So people usually get that part right. When I traveled to North Carolina everyone assumed we were Mexican. Now, I am in no way trying to say that this is indicative of the whole state, or even the area I went to. We were just outside of Asheville in the mountains and everyone who saw us asked if we were from Mexico. I guess maybe people over there don't really see any other Hispanic groups other than Mexicans, so it makes sense. Even one time when we were speaking in Spanish to each other ( not to be rude, it's just that we were with my grandparents and their English is not exactly up to par ) in this little souvenir store, the store owner actually exclaimed, "Wow! You guys can speak Mexican!?" That was rather embarrassing . When we were in New York everyone assumed we were Puerto Rican! I guess this one makes a little more sense since the cultures and accents are very similar. Must not be too many cubans up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I'd just give it a try if I were you and see what happens. Once at a party in Italy somebody who'd overheard me speaking Italian with a foreign accent started speaking to me in quite broken German (my German at the time wasn't much better) and after speaking for a couple of minutes he asked me what part of Germany I was from. I said I wasn't from the mainland but a little island off the northwest coast...and he still didn't work it out!
Where are you actually from?

I've purposely tried to trick people into thinking I was from various places, as I am a master with accents.. at work sometimes I put on a British accent and the customers actually think I'm British and I've had them guess specific parts of the UK.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
I'd just give it a try if I were you and see what happens. Once at a party in Italy somebody who'd overheard me speaking Italian with a foreign accent started speaking to me in quite broken German (my German at the time wasn't much better) and after speaking for a couple of minutes he asked me what part of Germany I was from. I said I wasn't from the mainland but a little island off the northwest coast...and he still didn't work it out!
He may have thought you meant the Frisian islands.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Even one time when we were speaking in Spanish to each other ( not to be rude, it's just that we were with my grandparents and their English is not exactly up to par ) in this little souvenir store, the store owner actually exclaimed, "Wow! You guys can speak Mexican!?" That was rather embarrassing . When we were in New York everyone assumed we were Puerto Rican! I guess this one makes a little more sense since the cultures and accents are very similar. Must not be too many cubans up there.
If it makes you feel better, I used to work with a woman from Puerto Rico, and a girl who I worked with (who isn't all that bright) comes over to her and goes "Can you give me a translation into Mexican? I want to learn how to say this phrase but when I try and translate it online, the stupid translator gives me Spanish instead!!"

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Where are you actually from?

I've purposely tried to trick people into thinking I was from various places, as I am a master with accents.. at work sometimes I put on a British accent and the customers actually think I'm British and I've had them guess specific parts of the UK.
I'm from Yorkshire, in the northern part of England. I used to work in a call centre and to make the job slightly more interesting I used to put on fake accents sometimes. You say you're a master of accents, so how do you get on with this one then, a parody of a Yorkshireman working in London (which I culturally identify with greatly) ? A lot of people up there actually are like this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0X0222Iwhk

Oh, and this clip's pretty funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYp...eature=related

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
He may have thought you meant the Frisian islands.
That was the idea

Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'm from Yorkshire, in the northern part of England. I used to work in a call centre and to make the job slightly more interesting I used to put on fake accents sometimes. You say you're a master of accents, so how do you get on with this one then, a parody of a Yorkshireman working in London (which I culturally identify with greatly) ? A lot of people up there actually are like this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0X0222Iwhk

Oh, and this clip's pretty funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYp...eature=related

To my American ears, Yorkshire accents sound Scottish.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,385 times
I am from Germany origninally but have lived in Wisconsin for quite a while so most people mistake me for an American. Apparently I even have somewhat of a Midwestern accent. Sometimes Americans recognize that something is "off" with my accent and think I am Canadian (no offense, dear friends up North, I love you!).
Most non-English natives think I am American.

As for my looks I am pretty much the average white/Caucaisian, so I could be from anywhere, Sweden, France, Germany...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
I get mistaken for being either a Hispanic or Italian or Spanish--or occasionally other Mediteranean ethnicities.

I'm an American of European descent--my mother's family is 100 percent from Poland(great-grandparents immigrated here in the early part of the century), my father's family is a mix of mostly Irish(black Irish it seems), English, German, German, and Native American. I've got dark brown, almost black hair, am pretty short and have a generally olive complexion if I've gotten any sun--along with pretty sharp features. I also spent part of my childhood in Canada, so I almost have a Canadian accent when I pronounce some words.

When I travel to Europe, I've gotten mistaken for being Spanish on occasion. I speak French on a basic level, but I'm much more fluent in Spanish, so when I speak French--or attempt Italian, it almost sounds like I'm a Spanish-language speaker attempting other Romance languages. However, the funny part is that native Spanish speakers would recognize me immediately as not being from a Spanish-speaking region. But in general, I've gotten responses back in Spanish, when attempting a different language, in countries as diverse as Morocco and Croatia. I've been told I look Italian as well in Germany and France...

Interestingly enough, I rarely travel outside the country and have people assume I'm American, except for when I've been to Japan and Korea... But apparently, maybe because I'm short and swarthy and don't dress super casual when traveling, I'm never singled out as an American, more so I'm assumed to be from some European country. But when I travel I can spot some, but not all Americans from a mile away...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
I'm Australian, parents Italian -- so I look Italian.

I've been asked if I am Italian/Spanish/Greek/Irish you name it. In the US many thought I was Hispanic...

With my accent, English & Irish, Sth African We sound quite different !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World