Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 22,189 times

Advertisements

I would like to find out what it takes to get certified as a TEFL (aka ESL, aka TESOL) instructor, because I've heard there is a demand in many of the former Soviet countries, like Serbia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, etc.

I've heard of Dave's ESL Cafe, but never got a response when I signed up for the forum, not sure why.

Can anyone here recommend another good online resource? So many that come up in a google search seem like scammers. A forum where I could ask about jobs in central and eastern Europe would also be very helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Thank you!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqlover View Post
I would like to find out what it takes to get certified as a TEFL (aka ESL, aka TESOL) instructor, because I've heard there is a demand in many of the former Soviet countries, like Serbia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, etc.

I've heard of Dave's ESL Cafe, but never got a response when I signed up for the forum, not sure why.

Can anyone here recommend another good online resource? So many that come up in a google search seem like scammers. A forum where I could ask about jobs in central and eastern Europe would also be very helpful. Thank you.
Eastern European countries (such as the Czech Republic, etc.) that are now part of the EU, one needs to have EU citizenship in order to work there. But it is still possible for a qualified American to find a job in non-EU countries.
You might also want to look at the TESOL website for information: TESOL - Home Page .

Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I would only choose the CELTA or SIT. I think there is another one, but those are the two brand names most schools looks for.

If you don't want to choose one of the two, and opt for a less expensive certificate, make sure it is 120 hours, and includes a 10hr practicum where you teach to ESL students. Do not waste your money on a course that is fully online, or less than 120 hrs.

If you are American, you will not likely be finding work in the EU.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,366 times
Quote:

I've been teaching ESL since 1995, mostly in Asia. I'm currently teaching in 2 rural middle schools in rural Korea. I'm currently on my 5th year contract here. Dave's ESL Cafe is like high school, I quit going there years ago. It's very negative and juvenile. One place I recommend going to is TEFL.com. Much more professional. There are other places as well.

Anyway, in a nutshell, most jobs require that you have a 4 year degree, although you can maybe squeek by with an AA/AS and a good ESL Certificate. Most of the places you are talking about don't pay much, most maybe $500/month. It's OK if you are a kid right out of school and doing the backpacking thing after college. There are other places that pay more. In Asia, China and Vietnam have lots of jobs that pay better than that. Japan, Korea and Thailand are swamped with foreigners now.

Bottom line on the ESL Cert scams online, there are many of them. If you do want to look into ESL certs, stay with the big (marketable) names like CELTA or Trinity TESOL Certificate. They are the ones most sought after in the ESL market today. Both are 4 weeks, intensive and a bit pricey. But that's what the people who do the hiring in ESL schools are hiring are looking for.

If you have any more questions, email me at spamghod@yahoo.com.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful.

It looks like I might have my best luck in some of the non-EU countries like Ukraine, Bosnia or Serbia. I would have no problem living in one of the less "popular" countries (Moldova, Albania, etc.) for 2-3 years, and in fact would probably enjoy it. My reason for wanting to live in this part of the world is to learn about their cultures and to work on a book project, so I would only need enough to get by.

I have lived outside the USA before and can live very cheaply with few amenities. As long as I can afford a small rental with a yard for outdoor cooking, a wood or propane stove and a clean water source, I'll be fine.

One more question: If I have the TEFL certification, will it make any real difference what degree I have? I'm considering switching to a US History degree because of the book project.

Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 AM

12 posts, read 69,627 times
Both the CELTA and DELTA have very good reputations, though a bit expensive at several thousand USD. I am teaching in China right now, feel free to send me a PM if you would like to ask any questions

Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 20,366 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful.

It looks like I might have my best luck in some of the non-EU countries like Ukraine, Bosnia or Serbia. I would have no problem living in one of the less "popular" countries (Moldova, Albania, etc.) for 2-3 years, and in fact would probably enjoy it. My reason for wanting to live in this part of the world is to learn about their cultures and to work on a book project, so I would only need enough to get by.

I have lived outside the USA before and can live very cheaply with few amenities. As long as I can afford a small rental with a yard for outdoor cooking, a wood or propane stove and a clean water source, I'll be fine.

One more question: If I have the TEFL certification, will it make any real difference what degree I have? I'm considering switching to a US History degree because of the book project.

Thanks again.
For some of the better jobs like at universities, it does matter. Especially if you have a Master's or PhD. At the BA level, a certified teacher will have an edge in many cases--depends on where it is. You'll find that lot of lower level ESL jobs are just a warm body that speaks English with a BA/BS. But like anywhere, it helps to be in your 20's, blonde and pretty. Those are OK if you are just starting out, but not if you want to stay in ESL. In which case, you'll eventually want to up your qualifications. But a BA is usually the entry qualification. The CELTA/Cert TESOL will open doors that otherwise would not be open.

There are places like Poland and Russia that offer the CELTA/Cert TESOL at places like International House. You might want to look there, if you are interested in Eastern Europe, might be the foot in the door at a place you might like.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Years ago, I got my TESOL Certificate from INTERNATIONAL HOUSE. They are based out of the UK, and have branches pretty much throughout that entire European region. I took the course in Budapest, Hungary.

Actually at the time my intention was to stay in Europe, but after completing the course, I realized I could only make about $300/month in Budapest (this was 1997). So I decided it was just best to make money elsewhere, and visit that part of the world on savings instead. The OP might decide something similar.

That being said, if you are writing a book about the region, it is amazing the kinds of cultural information and other info you pick up on a day-to-day basis in a teaching english environment.

Regarding Dave's ESL Cafe - I've been a regular poster on those forums for a long time. They do a screening check to everyone who registers. It takes awhile. You might want to try again with a different ID and such.

Also, seems like there is some confusion with what is EU and non-EU in this thread. Most of these countries the OP is mentioning are non-EU members. So the rules are completely different. Also, having lived in Spain before, Americans still get around the laws by not bothering with work visas. I taught in Brazil for six months without a work visa, I also taught in South Korea from time to time without one either. If you really want to go somewhere, and if you have resourcefulness, you can get around it. Depends on what kind of person you are. Nontheless, most of where the OP wants to go, are basically just very low-paying ESL teaching areas. If that's not a problem for the OP, than you'll be one step up above most other ESL teachers where very low pay is a problem.

To the OP, regarding what BA degree you have, it is almostly completely irrelevant. For just basic teaching english at a low level, they don't really care what degree you have. However, you should note that each country is also different in what they require. You might even find some countries where a TESOL certificate itself is completely irrelevant (I found this with Korea, Brazil, etc.) European countries generally want a TESOL certificate of some kind. Also, I wouldn't worry about the acronym too much - doesn't matter if it is TESOL or TEFL or TESL or whatsoever else - generally speaking for employment purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World