Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 AM

354 posts, read 855,309 times

Advertisements

I have noticed over the last 3 to 4 years there has been a lot of talk in the media, economist, politicians and average people in the USA that the Country is in "decline". I would have to agree that it feels that way at least politically, intellectually and economically.

I was wonder is this just an American thing or is this prevalent in a lot of other countries? I know Europe is dealing with major debt (but is taking stepst to correct it) and much of third world is suffering from severe inflation. Does it feel like your country or a country you have recently visited is in "decline"? Why or why not?

I think that for me it feels the USA is declining because we are so divided and we can't work togethor to solve our problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Scandinavia does not seem to be declining, quite the opposite.

The UK does seem to be in a decline, and not a gentle one. Maybe it'll turn out to be just an adjustment phase and they'll come back when they're no longer overspending.

The US has an exaggregated feeling of decline because America is waking up to the fact that the 50s and 60s when every other developed country was in ruins was a blip. And is not coming back. So the USA is seeing a massive decline relative to other countries, not so much in absolute terms.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
America is not in decline it is simply facing greater competition. Europe is literally in decline.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Scandinavia does not seem to be declining, quite the opposite.

The UK does seem to be in a decline, and not a gentle one. Maybe it'll turn out to be just an adjustment phase and they'll come back when they're no longer overspending.

The US has an exaggregated feeling of decline because America is waking up to the fact that the 50s and 60s when every other developed country was in ruins was a blip. And is not coming back. So the USA is seeing a massive decline relative to other countries, not so much in absolute terms.
Scandinavia has the strongest economy and best fiscal situation in all of Europe. Scandinavia to me appears like it will be the growth leader in the 'white world' in the next decades.

The UK I think is hitting rock bottom, but just like the United States they are beginning to have demographic issues, particularly with Islamic immigrants.

You are pretty much right on your last point, except that the real competition that the US is facing is from developing nations not developed nations. It is of great concern that US influence is waining. It was fine when the UK handed the torch to the US to further Anglo/Western culture, but there is no one the US can hand the torch to.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
If we're just talking economics, then the UK/US/Spain/Greece/Ireland/Italy/Portugal are declining or at least stagnating, but apart from budget cuts and having to readjust to spending within our limits I don't feel any sense that society here is declining. Our relentlessly negative print media might give that impression, but they've been giving that impression longer than I can remember even when times were good. One country whose future will be interesting to see will be Japan with their rapidly declining population, never mind their current problems. As far as their society is going however, I've been very impressed with the way people in the tsunami-affected areas have just taken it on the chin and got on with life.

How America adjusts to not automatically being no.1 in everything will be interesting too as other countries realise their full potential.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If we're just talking economics, then the UK/US/Spain/Greece/Ireland/Italy/Portugal are declining or at least stagnating, but apart from budget cuts and having to readjust to spending within our limits I don't feel any sense that society here is declining. Our relentlessly negative print media might give that impression, but they've been giving that impression longer than I can remember even when times were good. One country whose future will be interesting to see will be Japan with their rapidly declining population, never mind their current problems. As far as their society is going however, I've been very impressed with the way people in the tsunami-affected areas have just taken it on the chin and got on with life.

How America adjusts to not automatically being no.1 in everything will be interesting too as other countries realise their full potential.
Economically the United States has actually been doing better. For example, manufacturing jobs have actually been coming back and the trade deficit has actually come down (though it hasn't been long enough to determine a trend). Some social indicators also seem to be improving. Hispanic population growth and illegal immigration has slowed and enforcement has stepped up in certain areas. Our educational system is improving and the reform movement is more potent and more energized than I've ever seen. There is a strong demand for fiscal conservatism in the US which sets it apart from the UK & Europe where fiscal cuts have been vigorously protested. In Europe I believe that Spain, Portugal, and Greece have always been depressed countries. They have terrible cultures. Spain's unemployment is higher than many less educated and third world nations like South Africa.

The United States still remains in an enviable position because even though it faces more competition it will remain in the drivers seat. Because the United States is the consumer nation, most of the developing economies are completely reliant on trade with the US. All it takes is a trade war to bring many of the growing countries down. China, Brazil, and India would collapse overnight in the event of some form of a trade dispute.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
...The United States still remains in an enviable position because even though it faces more competition it will remain in the drivers seat. Because the United States is the consumer nation, most of the developing economies are completely reliant on trade with the US. All it takes is a trade war to bring many of the growing countries down. China, Brazil, and India would collapse overnight in the event of some form of a trade dispute.
Yes, it is a consumer nation, but one which, unfortunately, prefers by far to consume imported goods.

And part of what makes the U.S. picture look better than it is is the steady weakening of the currency. This began in earnest under Pres. Geo. W. Bush, who welcomed it as a fortuitous boon to the balance of payments picture - U.S. goods would be cheaper goods, and Pres. Obama has the same attitude, as well, and the currency, despite, minor and short-lived spikes, has steadily declined.

I don't see either of these things as long-range pluses for the U.S.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Economically the United States has actually been doing better. For example, manufacturing jobs have actually been coming back and the trade deficit has actually come down (though it hasn't been long enough to determine a trend). Some social indicators also seem to be improving. Hispanic population growth and illegal immigration has slowed and enforcement has stepped up in certain areas. Our educational system is improving and the reform movement is more potent and more energized than I've ever seen. There is a strong demand for fiscal conservatism in the US which sets it apart from the UK & Europe where fiscal cuts have been vigorously protested. In Europe I believe that Spain, Portugal, and Greece have always been depressed countries. They have terrible cultures. Spain's unemployment is higher than many less educated and third world nations like South Africa.

The United States still remains in an enviable position because even though it faces more competition it will remain in the drivers seat. Because the United States is the consumer nation, most of the developing economies are completely reliant on trade with the US. All it takes is a trade war to bring many of the growing countries down. China, Brazil, and India would collapse overnight in the event of some form of a trade dispute.
A country where so many people are natural-born entrepreneurs should never fall that far so I don't take much notice of doomsayers but it's a bit optimistic to say decades-high unemployment, massive national/personal debt, a growing gap between rich and poor and a declining share of world trade is anything good, despite some impressive GDP figures.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM

221 posts, read 656,414 times
Quote:
Scandinavia has the strongest economy and best fiscal situation in all of Europe. Scandinavia to me appears like it will be the growth leader in the 'white world' in the next decades.

The UK I think is hitting rock bottom, but just like the United States they are beginning to have demographic issues, particularly with Islamic immigrants.

You are pretty much right on your last point, except that the real competition that the US is facing is from developing nations not developed nations. It is of great concern that US influence is waining. It was fine when the UK handed the torch to the US to further Anglo/Western culture, but there is no one the US can hand the torch to.
If the EU started actually doing something america would have. If you combine the EU into a country, you have the largest economy, largest army which would mean massive power.
You can already see a slight hint. The Libya no fly-zone was organised by the French and the UK, the US came in later. I know the US is already leading 2 wars, but still its a hint i think

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
...You are pretty much right on your last point, except that the real competition that the US is facing is from developing nations not developed nations. It is of great concern that US influence is waining. It was fine when the UK handed the torch to the US to further Anglo/Western culture, but there is no one the US can hand the torch to.
It seems to me that the idea of handing the torch on is more of a Romantic metaphor than a reality, in the above case it sounds like a not very subtle chord struck from the theme of The White Man's Burden.

Britain never "handed the torch to the US," rather that country had declined and the United States overtook her. "The torch" goes where the economic power is. Had some other country been more economically developed than the U.S. the so-called torch would have gone to them and not the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World