Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,787,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I was stationed in South Korea in the '70's. Maybe things have (hopefully) improved, but I noticed a couple of unusual habits:

1. Korean taxi drivers seemed to not know how to downshift; they'd go around a corner in 4th gear and let the transmission lug until the engine FINALLY caught up with it...

2. At intersections at night. Everyone turned out their headlights until the GREEN light came on.
Number one didn't happen when I lived in Korea well after you did. I actually like Korean taxi drivers. They do a job that is not only socially considered just above ditch digger, but they're pretty friendly folks.

However, Korean drivers are among the worst in the world. Running red lights? No problem! Speed enforcement by stationing young cops by the side of the road and they pull you over by waving at you. I'm not kidding. They jump left turns (not that Americans don't sometimes do this, too, but that is a relatively rare thing compared to the frequency with which Koreans do it) and overall are incredibly aggressive on the road. Of course, drunk driving there is a huge problem, too.

Koreans aren't as bad as Indians, who are indeed the world's worst, but they have to be in the top ten worst list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World