Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM

282 posts, read 963,261 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm working on my masters in psychology and I'm thinking about moving abroad. I'm currently studying in UK however I'd prefer to move somewhere warmer, hopefully a bigger city. What places are good for jobs in psychology field? How are British universities recognized in other countries like US? I'm also very interested in east asia however I'm not sure how hard would it be to get a job there without knowing the language. I'd rather get out of Europe and go to places like US, Australia, Singapore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 PM

288 posts, read 352,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Hi, I'm working on my masters in psychology and I'm thinking about moving abroad. I'm currently studying in UK however I'd prefer to move somewhere warmer, hopefully a bigger city. What places are good for jobs in psychology field? How are British universities recognized in other countries like US? I'm also very interested in east asia however I'm not sure how hard would it be to get a job there without knowing the language. I'd rather get out of Europe and go to places like US, Australia, Singapore...
Don't know about other countries but in U.S. even a Master's degree in psychology doesn't hold much value. There are fairly decent job opportunities in this field in just about every major city, but you gotta have PhD. I don't really know much about recognition of your degree from a foreign university, it varies from state to state.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,968,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Job opportunities in psychology are pretty limited if you don't have a Ph.D All of the psychologists in my area have a Ph.D and my area isn't on the international radar. Good news is, Ph.D's have some of the easiest times getting into the U.S. The problem is the usual. Finding an employer willing to sponsor your H1B visa. I don't think completing a Psychology degree in a British university would present too much of an issue. I suppose you can always contact the APA (American Psychological Association) for further information on qualifications.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,346,571 times
McDonald's America has announced that they are going to hire 50,000 on 19 April. Don't laugh, many of their top managers started at the service level. Serving food is a recession-proof industry, unlike psychology. A degree in psychology should have prepared you with people management skills.

Other than that, I know that a lot of jobs on offer in Alaska require psychology and social science degrees since it is mostly drug-, alcohol-, and domestic violence related counseling.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,968,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
McDonald's America has announced that they are going to hire 50,000 on 19 April. Don't laugh, many of their top managers started at the service level. Serving food is a recession-proof industry, unlike psychology. A degree in psychology should have prepared you with people management skills.

Other than that, I know that a lot of jobs on offer in Alaska require psychology and social science degrees since it is mostly drug-, alcohol-, and domestic violence related counseling.
That doesn't fit his warmer, bigger city criteria He's a Brit, which means he must be able to find work within 10 hours of the Mexican border/Gulf coast and I don't blame him. I was in England for 4 weeks and all but 3 days were completely cloudy.

But OP, not to detract from your original request, would Australia also be an option? They have better weather than the U.S. (supposedly not as humid as here, and no significant cold fronts to push away the warmth every other week) and their immigration is easier to navigate through and easier to get accepted. The downside is that the country is very far away from most places.

If you still want the U.S., I think California probably offers what you're looking for in terms of climate, plus I believe it has the most Brits living in the U.S. so if you get lonely, pop by a British pub and have a Foster's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World