Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM

215 posts, read 661,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You think so? So what should I call all the natives of Caucasus - the Georgians, the Azeris, the Armenians - Martians?
In English - American English, at least - the term "Caucasian" does not refer to the natives of the Caucasus. It is clear that in the context of this discussion, "Caucasian" refers to a "race" and as I said, it is plainly pseudo-scientific. Obviously, it can still be used as a valid geographic term.

Quote:
What do you mean there is no such thing as "White?"
Am I seeing things, when I see all those pasty white kids running around, whose "original nest," place of origin so to speak points at Europe ( speaking of "European blood,") vs, say, Africa, where locals are undeniably Black.
Plenty of "pasty white" kids can be found among northern Asians. Would you include the Japanese and Ainu among "whites"? Some of them have paler skins than norwegians. Skin colors change with latitudes, not "races".

Quote:
No wonder when you have different tribes of unknown origin, mixed with Scandinavians and lumped up together in the same nation.
Never the less of course there is such thing as "white."
Scandinavians are fairly mixed, genetically. R1a, R1b, I, N.. Going by their Y-chromosomal haplogroups, Norwegians and Swedes are about 30-40% Middle Eastern/10% Mongoloid, if you insist that races are "real".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I wouldn't call Yemen a White country. According to genetic studies, the average Yemenite has 14% Sub Saharian African admixture. That would be the equivalent of having a Mulato grandparent and a 100% Black great grandparent.
That's actually a good point, Yemen does have a long Afro-Asian history. What about the non-Arab nation I named, Armenia. It seems like some are against it being "white" but if we're going to use terms like "white" than why isn't Armenia "white" and what is it if it's not "white?"

Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
In English - American English, at least - the term "Caucasian" does not refer to the natives of the Caucasus.
I am aware of that, but since I don't see any valid explanation for this terminology ( particularly if to take in consideration that I've never heard it being commonly used anywhere else except for US,) I keep on using it as "valid geographic term."

Quote:
Plenty of "pasty white" kids can be found among northern Asians. Would you include the Japanese and Ainu among "whites"?
No, because when I am saying "whites," I am looking at more characteristics that just a skin color of course.

Quote:
Scandinavians are fairly mixed, genetically. R1a, R1b, I, N.. Going by their Y-chromosomal haplogroups, Norwegians and Swedes are about 30-40% Middle Eastern/10% Mongoloid, if you insist that races are "real".
So what are you implying here, that Norwegians and Swedes are combination of Middle-Easterners and Mongoloids, and that I shouldn't believe my eyes, when I am looking at people ( representatives) of different races?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That's actually a good point, Yemen does have a long Afro-Asian history. What about the non-Arab nation I named, Armenia. It seems like some are against it being "white" but if we're going to use terms like "white" than why isn't Armenia "white" and what is it if it's not "white?"
Well... I have my own thoughts about it, but it will inevitably lead to theological part of it. I don't know how appropriate it is, when we are discussing subject in terms of "Haplogroup R1a"

(Although...I couldn't help but notice that the descendants of certain "R1" were... "R1b1a (R-P297), R1b1b (R-M335), and R1b1c (R-V88)"
Sounds way too familiar (if you know what I mean,) almost mundane, as in;
"And the sons of Zebulun; Sered, and Elon, and Jahlil)))

Last edited by erasure; 05-19-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Well if we're going by Haplogroup R1a than maybe Kyrgyzstan or India is the poorest white nation.

List of R1a frequency by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well if we're going by Haplogroup R1a than maybe Kyrgyzstan or India is the poorest white nation.

List of R1a frequency by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haplogroup R1a rocks!
According to it, these are the poorest white nations;
Kyrgyzstan...
Attached Thumbnails
What are the poorest "white" countries in the world?-kirgiz.jpg   What are the poorest "white" countries in the world?-kirgiz2.gif   What are the poorest "white" countries in the world?-kirgiz3.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 PM

...and India...
Attached Thumbnails
What are the poorest "white" countries in the world?-india.jpg   What are the poorest "white" countries in the world?-11indian_cr.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
I would not consider India to be a White country. But I will say this, India is so poor that even some Sub Saharian African countries have a higher human development index than India.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM

Actually whether Asian Indians are white or not has been an issue in American history at least. They're often not white in skin color, unless the ones way up in North India are, but when racial classification was an issue they were sometimes listed as "white" because of things like facial/skull structure or shape.

PBS - Roots in the Sand - Bhagat Singh Thind
Not All Caucasians Are White: The Supreme Court Rejects Citizenship for Asian Indians

I thought there was another case too, but I forget what it was called if so.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
Oh... c'mon... when I think about white people I think about Europeans and South Americans (some of them) or North American...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World