Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
The fact that Canada is closer to America, it makes it automatically unsafe (terrorism 'spill', for one).
Are you talking about because the incident happened few weeks ago in Ottawa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Are you talking about because the incident happened few weeks ago in Ottawa?
He can't be since it had nothing to do with terrorism or the US. It was a mentally ill person, simple as that.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
I can't comment, I haven't spent any time in Canada.

I understand what Vichel was saying, but I've never really felt unsafe in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He can't be since it had nothing to do with terrorism or the US. It was a mentally ill person, simple as that.
Amazing, after the media beat up dies down...

Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I get what Theropod is saying haha..
If a bomb was dropped near the border, maybe. I'm not too worried about that scenario though.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

Amazing, after the media beat up dies down...
Yeah Harper went WAY overboard with his politicized G.W inspired speech to Canadians about the evils of terrorism and how it infiltrated our land blah blah blah.. In retrospect it looks totally foolish. As much as we need to remember the two Soldiers lost - a little perspective needs to be put in order here.. One thing I notice is we take note and grieve but we move on with our lives in short order and don't overly politicize things.. We just put things in their rightful place here and its something I'm proud of as a Canadian.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Don't you remember when the Boston bombings happened and everyone in Canada caught shrapnel in their legs? Short memory, Nat. Very short, indeed.
LOL.. still can't rep you yet but I tried

Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
From my own personal experience, living in both countries, I totally agree. I keep in touch with friends and family in Canada and the US, and visit regularly, and when I compare stories, Australia is definitely more violent - for the average person, in the average area, not talking about dodgy, known crime spots which are unsafe in any country. There's a general aggressive element to the culture, a feralness which can affect you anywhere, even in broad daylight. Much of it is due to alcohol abuse. Not just one or two drinks too many, but one or two litres too many.
Wow this is quite eye opening for me re Australia.. Is there a particular place? I heard Sydney can be quite dodgy.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
From my own personal experience, living in both countries, I totally agree. I keep in touch with friends and family in Canada and the US, and visit regularly, and when I compare stories, Australia is definitely more violent - for the average person, in the average area, not talking about dodgy, known crime spots which are unsafe in any country. There's a general aggressive element to the culture, a feralness which can affect you anywhere, even in broad daylight. Much of it is due to alcohol abuse. Not just one or two drinks too many, but one or two litres too many.
Homicide rates are definitely higher in Canada: Countries Compared by Crime > Murder rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Serious assaults are pretty much the same for Aus, Canada, US and NZ, probably due to similar definitions of what constitutes an "assault", community expectations and policing models:http: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...Crime/Assaults

Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Homicide rates are definitely higher in Canada: Countries Compared by Crime > Murder rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Serious assaults are pretty much the same for Aus, Canada, US and NZ, probably due to similar definitions of what constitutes an "assault", community expectations and policing models:http: Countries Compared by Crime > Assaults. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
Canada has a lot more cities of size than Australia outside the big 5 in each.. More people that live in higher population centres the rate will typically go up..

I'm wondering about crime rates in the large cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver vs Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane..

For some reason I keep hearing about Sydney and crime in the Australian context...
According to the article below there were 22 drive by shootings in Sydney in August and October of 2011 - honestly I've never head of such in any of Canada's cities. There seems to be more incidents of riots and racial violence ie the muslim riots in Sydney and the 2000 Crunella riots.

Murder rate slides but guns still rule

I'm curious more than anything.. I still think both countries are very safe and honestly i'd have no qualms visiting Australia - I know its a very safe country and any type of violence or crime would be rare - occasional riots aren't really a big deal and cherry picked sensationalized stories aren't the norm.. Toronto had the G20 riots in 2010 but that was more a political protest against the worlds elite and than a backlash against police for going overboard!

Last edited by fusion2; 11-11-2014 at 01:32 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Canada has a lot more cities of size than Australia outside the big 5 in each.. More people that live in higher population centres the rate will typically go up..

I'm wondering about crime rates in the large cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver vs Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane..

For some reason I keep hearing about Sydney and crime in the Australian context...
According to the article below there were 22 drive by shootings in Sydney in August and October of 2011 - honestly I've never head of such in any of Canada's cities. There seems to be more incidents of riots and racial violence ie the muslim riots in Sydney and the 2000 Crunella riots.

Murder rate slides but guns still rule
Honestly I live inner Sydney, and it is fine.

That spate of shootings was all gang related, IIRC there was a particularly bad week of tit for tat fgun violence.

Of course there is crime, but I have never felt unsafe in Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World