Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,302,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Good point!

When people say 'why is America so focused on America', what they are generally trying to say is 'why isn't America more focused one ME and where I live!' hehe
BINGO! Tiger Beer got bingo.

Seriously though, we don't give a rat's behind about soccer, among other things and that just annoys the heck out of them.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM

326 posts, read 674,259 times
True, but that would be CNN International. Not the same as CNN in the U.S.

Quote:
I'm sitting in japan right now and watching CNN. I can't get anything domestic, it's all about Japan and Libya all the time and has been for three weeks.

According to the commercial though, I can watching something called 'African Voices' this weekend though.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM

6,459 posts, read 9,834,559 times
Sometimes I wish the US WOULD only care about the US, instead of going to war to help other countries, instead of sending (I don't know exactly how many) Millions of dollars to help other countries.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
America is almost the only country in the world in which there are no channels on cable TV that originate outside the country and are aired in real time, without first going through the filter of someone who judges what is appropriate for Amerians to see. Near the Canadian and Mexican borders, there are some cable stations that carry nearby local stations from the neighboring country, but otherwise, I've never seen a cable system that carries even the CBC.

Channels like Telemundo, Univision and BBC-America are American-based cable channels that buy the rights to show programs from overseas sources, but they are heavily vetted for content before airing in the USA. Even the world news on BBC America is taped and played back an hour later, after being reviewed for content. Here in south Texas, Mexican channels are available only in a premium package, not even in the expanded 200-channel lineup..

By contrast, even in Vietnam (where I was sick and lay in bed for a few days with the remote), I saw channels from USA, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Russia, China, Thailand, India, all on the basic cable subscribed to in the guest house. In Chile, we had basic cable, 12 channels, but stations from USA, UK, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico. Even at the height of the Middle East conflicts, Jordan TV aired in real time a pickup of the world news from Israeli TV. (In China, there was absolutely nothing but Chinese TV. America knows whom to emulate.)

Part of is die to the general fear that if a cable company dares to allow a non-American idea slip through, they will get hate mail and death threats (and even worse, cancellations) from the extreme right. There is also the simple prudery. If a glimpse of a nipple slips through on basic cable, the cable company can be liable for millions of dollars in fines.

Bottom line: Americans watching TV have absolute zero exposure to the outside world. Only Americanized versions of an outside world, dressed up and deemed safe for Americans to see, are allowed..

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,669,425 times
Quote:
The only really worldly nation I know of if the UK, mostly because of it's commonwealth and colonies, which it often records the news about.
You think so? We have a reasonable knowledge of/exposure to the other English-speaking countries I'd say and know more and more about continental Europe as time goes on, but I have never considered us worldly. Depends on who you compare us to, I suppose. Whenever I read newspapers from Germany or some of the smaller northern European countries I'm in awe about how in-depth and knowledgeable the reporting of international news is compared to this country, and how much easier it is for people from those countries to fit in when travelling abroad.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,550,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
but otherwise, I've never seen a cable system that carries even the CBC.
Buckeye Cablevision in my hometown of Toledo, OH, has always carried the CBC affiliate out of Windsor (Channel 9). I'd bet a lot of border communities offer CBC on their cable systems. How else do they see Hockey Night in Canada?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,857,404 times
on basic freeview tv here in the uk we get, russia today, cnn, al jazeera etc. and on the higher packages you get sky atlantic etc with entertainment from across the world. and we get recorded news of abc and cbs from america, and most of our news shows and channels are half domestic and half world news, so i think we as a country are well informed to what is going on across the world. for such a diverse country the usa isn't very "worldly"

Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,302,782 times
You people don't seem to have a grasp of the free market. If it makes money it will be on television.
If it doesn't sell then it has to be subsidized somehow. These programs, news or otherwise, are not on here because not enough people watch to make it profitable.
BTW, most cable networks make those stations available for purchase.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,777,059 times
http://frostbite.no/blog/wp-content/map_of_american_isolationist_thinking.gif (broken link)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Buckeye Cablevision in my hometown of Toledo, OH, has always carried the CBC affiliate out of Windsor (Channel 9). I'd bet a lot of border communities offer CBC on their cable systems. How else do they see Hockey Night in Canada?
If a Canadian off-air station is considered to be in the primary coverage area, I think cable operators are obliged to relay the signal. Toledo, only about 50 miles from Windsor, might be under that obligation. Cable's primary mandate is to offer the stations that can be viewed locally without cable. In Toledo, you could probably have gotten CBC-Windsor with rabbit ears. In upstate New York in the 50's, the ONLY television came from Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.