Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM

254 posts, read 1,207,751 times

Advertisements

I've travelled alone to most places around the world. I would probably stick with the European capital cities first. Berlin, Rome, London, Madrid, Lisbon are all good. I love the beaches along the French Riviera and the entire east coast of Spain down through Alicante. A trip to Australia and New Zealand might be interesting. I'm not sure I want to go back to Mexico anytime soon, but a trip to Panama, Belize, and Costa Rica might be good. I'm supposed to go back to visit old friends in Paraguay, but I also want to see what's in Peru, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.

Other great cities to visit would be Hamburg (St. Pauli district) and Barcelona in Europe. Good times also in the far east in Seoul and Manilla. Tokyo is too expensive for me to go back anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMELIFER View Post
Pattaya is in Thailand right? Do you think an american could retire to Pattaya or the beach areas with only $32,000 a year?
You could live there on that.

But, the beaches in Pattaya are quite mediocre. Most people go to Pattaya because it's basically one very, very, very large brothel. The entire city is just wall-to-wall with it.

But Thailand has that absolutely everywhere. Unless someone ONLY has that interest and no other interests, I'd personally give Pattaya a miss for somewhere else.

As to living on $32,000/year there, yeah, you could do that. Many people live on $32,000 in the U.S., and they have all those gas bills, car maintenance. The beauty of Thailand or Asia, or almost anywhere outside of the U.S., is that the infrastructure is setup for walking, and cars are completely unneccessary to your daily existance.

Combined that with cheaper food, not having to pay tips either. Than a lower cost of living. Easy to live on those wages.

Heck, I live on those wages and I live in Japan and am raising a family. Thailand is a fraction of the cost.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMELIFER View Post
Pattaya is in Thailand right? Do you think an american could retire to Pattaya or the beach areas with only $32,000 a year?
US$32,000/year is well over the minimum to obtain a retirement visa in thailand. most retired guys in pattaya live on a lot less than that and live a good life.

what tiger says is pretty much spot on. pattaya has horrible beaches. pattaya does, however, have better infrastructure than most beach resorts and easily the largest expat community in thailand (outside of bangkok obs), so it does have its draws.

most guys buy or rent houses on the dark side. condos in jomtien are also popular. close enough to take a trip into town. lotsa good restaurants and shopping and also the bar scene if you're into that.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Travel alone sucks! There is no one to share the experience...
I disagree with you 100%.
I don't enjoy traveling with others.
I'm quite independent and have been traveling solo for well over 20 years.

I love my own company and the opportunity to find strange little places and meet other travelig solo.

Funny, I can't stand traveling with people who have to have a running commentary on every single thing that they see.
Or those who can not/will not explore on their own.

I don't need others to affirm any of my experiences.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-25-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrysmart View Post
i don't think that anyone can enjoy the journey alone! i always enjoy long drive with my friends with company.
You're wrong where a lot of us are concerned.

Very few people want to travel as I do and I don't wait for anyone.
My life, and my travel time is my own.

This includes camping and traveling throughout Europe and Asia alone.
Then again, I thoroughly enjoy my own company!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
I would go to the Ukraine. Its good for the nightlife....and sex.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM

I'm going to check out Transylvania this year. Just a hop skip and jump from Ukraine.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I disagree with you 100%.
I don't enjoy traveling with others.
I'm quite independent and have been traveling solo for well over 20 years.

I love my own company and the opportunity to find strange little places and meet other travelig solo.

Funny, I can't stand traveling with people who have to have a running commentary on every single thing that they see.
Or those who can not/will not explore on their own.

I don't need others to affirm any of my experiences.
I was not thinking about "just some people" or friends as a travel companions, but a soul mate...

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrysmart View Post
i don't think that anyone can enjoy the journey alone! i always enjoy long drive with my friends with company.
I love traveling alone!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Ive travelled alone for months on end in three different continents, and loved every minute of it.

I should add, i made loads of friends from all over the world and actually spent very little time by myself.

Now i am a bit older i dont think it would be so easy however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World