Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how anybody can find the U.S. boring? Seriously when you have cities like New York, Boston, D.C., Honolulu, Miami, Chicago, L.A., San Fran, Las Vegas and New Orleans how can you consider that boring? Then there are plenty more other cities not mentioned. Most of those cities that I just listed are completely different from one another in architecture, food, people, lifestyle, etc. Then you have the cultural dynamics of the U.S. that are global like American music, American cinema, T.V. shows, professional sports, college sports, etc. Aside from cities, places like the Everglades, Yosemite, the Rockies, Yellowstone, Applachia, etc are also far from boring.

I can understand that the U.S. might not be your cup of tea, but if you think the U.S. is boring, I think you probably won't be pleased with much else.

I would really like someone to point out another country that has so many diverse and different large cities like the U.S.?

Anyway, I have never been to a boring country. Some that are less exciting, but I wouldn't consider "boring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Luxembourg/Switzerland/Portugal
Luxembourg is nice, but maybe it is boring. Portugal I can't speak for having never been there.

I must disagree with Switzerland though. My experience there varied between thrilling and downright terrifying. At one point I flew a dozen meters through the air at a high rate of speed and nearly broke my nose. Thankfully there was a little hut nearby where I could regain my breath.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
pth

274 posts, read 458,638 times
the fact that switzerland has been named a few times in this thread breaks my heart...as I dream of visiting one day. I'm a hiker/climber, so it looks like heaven to me.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

425 posts, read 653,222 times
1. Canada: the architecture makes me feel like I'm on the set of some 1980s film.
2. Belgium: fancy a plate of soggy frites with your pork and gravy?
3. Australia: when you're not enjoying a beer buzz on the beach it's single story houses and red dirt as far as the eye can see.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Switzerland has some beautiful landscapes and I enjoyed my time there more than Austria for instance.

I didn't find the people warm or open at all though.

I knew a Swiss girl though and she knew how to keep you warm on cold swiss nights.

Australia I think can be a tough country in some ways because much of it is the same as well as flat and in terms of cities you can count them on 2 hands. There is definitely a lot people could find about Australia that is bland no doubt. But I think it's like the USA, you have to scratch a bit deeper and you will find quite a lot. I really enjoy Australian motorsport and can stand some Rugby and AFL as well, so that helps. There is not much more I can think of that is as enjoyable to me as to go for a long drive in rural Australia. Australia is where everything is upside down as it has animals and foliage you will not see elsewhere and has some landscapes hard to find elsewhere.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
Denmark, Iceland, Sweden

Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Switzerland, Zambia, Honduras. Second tier: Belgium, Finland, Mauritania, Bangladesh.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
the fact that switzerland has been named a few times in this thread breaks my heart...as I dream of visiting one day. I'm a hiker/climber, so it looks like heaven to me.
A lot of the criticism of Switzerland is aimed at its cities. On the other hand, it has long been a dream of mine to go urban swimming in Bern's fast-flowing Aare river!

I guess dozens of beautiful, bikini clad girls jumping off of bridges into the swift current is boring to some people ;-)

‪Aare River‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

170 posts, read 768,760 times
Switzerland is just overshadowed by its larger and more diverse neighboring countries Germany, France, Italy and Austria...

Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

276 posts, read 762,907 times
I personally found Vienna, while really beautiful, the dullest major city I've ever been to. Then again, I understand that each person's experience is different, especially when you know someone who lives there, and I am sure plenty of people have probably had a lot of fun there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World