Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread should be more appropriately titled.. "most boring cities"...just because i found a particular city boring in a country doesn't mean the other cities in that same country are boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I've only been to very touristy places so it might not sound like much, but of the places I've been to, I'd have to say Germany and Belgium. Germany had less historic charm than the UK, France, Switzerland, or the Netherlands and the autobahm felt like the American Interstate highways. Also seems to be fewer major landmarks in German cities compared to other European cities, I know a lot has to do with the damage that Germany had in WW2. Belgium was just a small country that didn't feel really special to me.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I loved Germany. Spent 6 months in Munich and still didn't see it all. There is so much history and wonderful places to visit. And when the sun was shining (which wasn't as often as here) ever person in the city was outside enjoying it. What a great place!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
The suburban US style of housing with all the same houses and all the same shops and restaurants might be very boring
Well...you judge a country by how most of its regular citizens live. If your mainstream family with children is doomed to live this kind of lifestyle, then yes - it is boring.

Why would I care that there is a lot of excitement going on in Manhattan or wherever when such places are completely unrealistic for an average family?

Life in the US is terribly boring for your middle of the road family; and single-hood or childlessness is still not a way of life for most people.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I've travelled all over the world.... from Africa to Latin America to The US to Europe, to Japan, to Australia.

The places where I found myself very bored were:

1. the USA (in 90% of the country if you don't have a car you can't really do anything!!! plus many American cities outside the traditional touristy new york, san francisco etc. lack a vibrant culture, a good nightlife, color, street life!!!).

2. Australia (see the USA)

3. Saudi Arabia (it was an extremely interesting experience, but as a very modern woman it was very claustrophobic after a while)

what about you?
The US is a huge country... if you were bored, I don't know how. It has a ton of history, a lot of great natural attractions (Yellowstone, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, etc...). Tons of beaches... all the different environments you could look for... You find street life in Portland, Seattle, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, etc... a lot of cities have street life. If you are only looking in the burbs you may find yourself bored.. i dunno.

I gotta say while I prefer the US had more cities that were as dense and walkable as European cities, and I wish we weren't so car oriented.... I feel as far as things to do I don't see how anyone could be bored. I live in Kansas City, MO... not a known tourist city, and there are TONS of things to do and if you are in the urban core it's very walkable...

Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM

100 posts, read 138,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I live in the Midwest, and it is anything but boring. Besides the cornfields, we have forests, taiga, Great Lakes, beaches and even mountains. We have world-class cities like Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Paul, idyllic small towns and friendly and "homey" small cities. If the areas surrounding Madrid and Paris are anything like the Midwest, I definitely want to visit them.

I've traveled extensively, and I've never been to a boring country. Every place I've been had something different to offer, every culture had its own beauty to discover. I strongly believe there are no boring places, only boring people.
There is no Taiga in the Mid-West. Only temperate coniferous forests. Taiga is sub-arctic/arctic forest. I mean, the southern Mid-West is actually just Subtropical, and even has the lush green Warm Temperate forests and the long growing season to match it, as well as loess lands and limestone and karst outcroppings.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I've traveled quite a bit and have to say I've never found a boring country. There's always something to do everywhere.
Yes, you can be bored in some place if you overstay in a place you thought merited a longer stay, perhaps, in a smaller town.
And some cities only warrant a day or two, maybe just an afternoon. But you just move on, that's all.
Each country is so different that it merits attention. I imagine Saudi Arabia might seem boring, but it could also be fascinating because it is so different.

I'm really not trying to be politically correct here, it's just so many countries appeal differently. You bring the boring feelings into someplace yourself.
Perhaps if you visited a place 4, 5, 6 times it might wear out its welcome and become boring to you.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM

100 posts, read 138,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I've traveled quite a bit and have to say I've never found a boring country. There's always something to do everywhere.
Yes, you can be bored in some place if you overstay in a place you thought merited a longer stay, perhaps, in a smaller town.
And some cities only warrant a day or two, maybe just an afternoon. But you just move on, that's all.
Each country is so different that it merits attention. I imagine Saudi Arabia might seem boring, but it could also be fascinating because it is so different.

I'm really not trying to be politically correct here, it's just so many countries appeal differently. You bring the boring feelings into someplace yourself.
Perhaps if you visited a place 4, 5, 6 times it might wear out its welcome and become boring to you.
It's the same thing about labeling any of the 50 states boring. People label Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa boring, for example, but the scenery and the nature I saw in those states easily matched anywhere in the east or the west, and the relatively small-scaled, laid back way of life in states like those is wonderful. Violent weather, prairies and savannas, weird sandy areas, grass covered sand dunes, badlands and weird chalk and sandstone bluffs and structures, the savanna animals, beautiful rolling grasslands and fields of sunflowers and crops, small towns, good food, abandoned farms and ghost towns, the subtropical grasslands of Kansas and Oklahoma, the sage covered, red mountains and highlands of Oklahoma, the Black Hills, the more Warm Temperate areas of the central plains, and the harsh continental climates and conditions in North Dakota. The harsh, semi-desert lands of the western portions...sort of a tangent I went off on, but you get the point. I could never call a single country boring.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:19 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasey98 View Post
It's the same thing about labeling any of the 50 states boring. People label Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa boring, for example, but the scenery and the nature I saw in those states easily matched anywhere in the east or the west, and the relatively small-scaled, laid back way of life in states like those is wonderful. Violent weather, prairies and savannas, weird sandy areas, grass covered sand dunes, badlands and weird chalk and sandstone bluffs and structures, the savanna animals, beautiful rolling grasslands and fields of sunflowers and crops, small towns, good food, abandoned farms and ghost towns, the subtropical grasslands of Kansas and Oklahoma, the sage covered, red mountains and highlands of Oklahoma, the Black Hills, the more Warm Temperate areas of the central plains, and the harsh continental climates and conditions in North Dakota. The harsh, semi-desert lands of the western portions...sort of a tangent I went off on, but you get the point. I could never call a single country boring.

I couldn't agree with you more. I once told someone I liked the grasslands in western Oklahoma, and he was incredulous. Why even much maligned New Jersey has some very appealing things to see.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Off the top of my head, based purely on my own experiences there, I'd say Switzerland, Macao and Zambia. Also-rans would be Malta, Bangladesh, Honduras. Apologies if I answered this question five years ago with different places.

Actually, my first few hours in Bangladesh were awesome, ,memorable hours. But once I got to Dhaka on the train, it was a real yawner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World