U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM

54 posts, read 105,488 times

Advertisements

1) Miami - main mansion probably in South Beach. beautiful weather, beautiful people, culture, beach, glamour...close to the caribbeans and to most of the south american countries

2) NYC - a luxury apartment with all that NY has to offer. Also close to home (Toronto) for easy visits

3) Cannes/St-Tropez/South of France - gorgeous villa somewhere on the hills. Weather, glamour, culture... easy access to Monaco, Paris, Milan (Italy in general), Barcelona, decently close to Venice,

4) Beirut - again, warm welcoming beautiful people, beautiful scenery, some of the most beautiful women in the world, amazing food, great weather, great culture... only issue would be there is constant issues with surrounding countries wanting to ruin it.

Honourable mentions: Florence, Barcelona, Milan, Toronto, Tokyo/Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, LA (beverly hills)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,673,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The reason I would not own a house in Brazil (or any other 3rd world country) if I was extremely wealthy, is because I always hear about stories of rich people in that country getting kidnapped.
The rich people in Brazil that you hear about being kidnapped are wanted for felonies in their home country, and have arranged their lives in Brazil so they are not subject to extradition. So the only way for the Americans, for example, to get them back to face criminal charges, is to kidnap them and have an executive jet waiting at the airport to fly them back into US jurisdiction.

In Brazil, a person who is the primary means of support for a Brazilian national cannot be extradited, so embezzlers with attache cases full of the bank's money marry a Brazilian woman, have a child who has Brazilian nationality, and are immune then from being extradited. But there is a handsome reward for anyone who brings them back alive. It's a lucrative business, and safer than smuggling drugs.

In any case, I doubt if I would choose my country of residence based on "stories I always hear"---I'd probably check things out more thoroughly than that.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM

24,629 posts, read 26,080,362 times
For me:

1) Chiang Mai, Thailand with an annex near a diving area in the Andaman Sea
2) Croatia, not sure if I'd want a beach area, though, too much traffic.
3) London
4) I need to think some more on that one...

Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,877,800 times
Too many places ....

Farmhouse/small chateau in the Dordogne with Walnut Grove, fruit orchard and easy access to the River
Tuscany Farmhouse with Olive Grove within easy reach of Florence
House overlooking the sea in Coastal Maine ( from Kennebunkport to Bar Harbor somewhere)
Beach House near Tofino B-C OR in California around Pacific Grove

But most important of all I would want a Vintage Wooden Yacht to take me around the world. The best home of all because it is not static

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.co...yslimyacht.jpg - This would do very nicely but I would be quite happy with http://www.metronc.com/images/articl...window-134.jpg

And just to be greedy a house near Ardnamurchan or on the Appin Peninsula in Western Scotland

Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM

388 posts, read 1,490,018 times
1. Amsterdam city centre
2. Manhattan
3. Gold Coast, Australia
4. French countryside

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM

23,713 posts, read 21,186,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The rich people in Brazil that you hear about being kidnapped are wanted for felonies in their home country, and have arranged their lives in Brazil so they are not subject to extradition. So the only way for the Americans, for example, to get them back to face criminal charges, is to kidnap them and have an executive jet waiting at the airport to fly them back into US jurisdiction.

In Brazil, a person who is the primary means of support for a Brazilian national cannot be extradited, so embezzlers with attache cases full of the bank's money marry a Brazilian woman, have a child who has Brazilian nationality, and are immune then from being extradited. But there is a handsome reward for anyone who brings them back alive. It's a lucrative business, and safer than smuggling drugs.

In any case, I doubt if I would choose my country of residence based on "stories I always hear"---I'd probably check things out more thoroughly than that.
Not to mention that Brazil is not a third-world country. If Tiger Blood feels like using that outdated terminology, Brazil is a second-world country. Many parts of it are actually outright first-world regions according to HDI statistics.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM

54 posts, read 105,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For me:

1) Chiang Mai, Thailand with an annex near a diving area in the Andaman Sea
2) Croatia, not sure if I'd want a beach area, though, too much traffic.
3) London
4) I need to think some more on that one...
Your first 2 choices are interesting. Why Chiang Mai and Croatia? Any specific reason or is it home for you?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM

23,430 posts, read 29,406,519 times
A mansion in:

1. Monteria Estates in Chatsworth or in Hidden Hills, both in the San Fernando Valley, California.

2. A mansion in Paradise Valley, Arizona.

3. A mansion in Palm Beach, Florida (maybe next to Trump's mansion).

4. A mansion in New York.

The mansions would have to be at least 8,000 sq. ft.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM

6,396 posts, read 11,762,184 times
1. New York City, USA

2. Hong Kong, China

3. Paris, France

4. I am undecided about my 4th option but it is ONE of these possibilities that are all competing for 4th place:
-Shanghai China
-San Francisco USA
-Vancouver Canada
-Chicago USA
-London England
-A nice small town in a world class nature scenery area.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-25-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,960,471 times
I'll say....

1. Positano, Italy <3<3
2. New Zealand
3. Seattle, WA (not sure about the weather)
4. Moscow, Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World