Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Overrated City?
New York City 58 28.29%
Dubai 93 45.37%
Singapore 34 16.59%
Sydney 20 9.76%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM

82 posts, read 140,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the U.S., west coast cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas are overrated to me.

I enjoy the scenery in those places. But the cities themselves don't live up to the hype. They feel lacking.

New York used to be awesome, but it has definitely changed since 9/11 and not in a good way. The last time I was there I felt like it was a different city. I don't think the locals notice it as much because they are in it everyday, but it has lost some of it's soul due to the filth and corporatism of Wall Street and the Giuliani years. It just felt icky to me.

There are still things about it that are amazing and that you can only experience in NYC, but it's on a downward trend IMO. I don't hold it in as high esteem as I once did. London is hot on it's heels.

As for you saying most West coast cities are overrated... I feel the same way about the East Coast cities in general. Most die-hard East Coasters don't get the West Coast vibe and most, not all, always have negative things to say about it. Guess it's a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Although I love SF, I think it's suffering from some of the same corporate consumerism issues as is NYC. We are in an economic downturn and rents have continued to soar to levels not seen since the Dot Com days. A studio apt with no Kitchen for $1900 is beyond outrageous.

America's new motto should be:
"If we can't leech on and exploit a city then we're not interested."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
New York used to be awesome, but it has definitely changed since 9/11 and not in a good way. The last time I was there I felt like it was a different city. I don't think the locals notice it as much because they are in it everyday, but it has lost some of it's soul due to the filth and corporatism of Wall Street and the Giuliani years. It just felt icky to me.

There are still things about it that are amazing and that you can only experience in NYC, but it's on a downward trend IMO. I don't hold it in as high esteem as I once did. London is hot on it's heels.

As for you saying most West coast cities are overrated... I feel the same way about the East Coast cities in general. Most die-hard East Coasters don't get the West Coast vibe and most, not all, always have negative things to say about it. Guess it's a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Although I love SF, I think it's suffering from some of the same corporate consumerism issues as is NYC. We are in an economic downturn and rents have continued to soar to levels not seen since the Dot Com days. A studio apt with no Kitchen for $1900 is beyond outrageous.

America's new motto should be:
"If we can't leech on and exploit a city then we're not interested."
Would be genuinely interested to know what I missed out on. I went last year and thought it was great.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,523,365 times
Dubai is cool but depressing at the same time. The big palm tree looking island is pretty much a ghost town. Most of the buildings are empty, so all those construction workers pretty much wasted all there time.

Did you know the Burj Khalifa has 900 apartments. well 825 are still empty!

I do love the Gold Souk area though

Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
I don't think Dubai is overrated. Most people I know are critical as hell of it. People should re-read the definition of overrated.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Most people you know. Dubai is overrated to the extreme and clearly most people on here agree.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM

27,631 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
Well, I try not to say too much about this. I'm an American and love this country after all. So, I don't like to spout negative opinions about American cities in front of a world forum. It's a sign of weakness to a lot of people (especially if they don't like America to begin with) and they'll take you up on it and start to bash your whole country based on that. And most of them don't understand the regional rivalries Americans have anyway. lol.

Anyway, I think people should visit west coast cities if it peaks their interest. Some people fall in love with them and see a thousand points of light, and some don't. You have to find out for yourself. I recommend San Francisco first.

But the pure natural beauty in California is what I recommend much more. Especially a place like Yosemite National Park.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-08-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,593,548 times
Dubai is by far the most overrated. Lots of quirky projects, but that doesn't hide the fact the place has no soul.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,596,016 times
Florence.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM

76 posts, read 128,389 times
Dubai is a fast growing city. A lot of people from different parts of the world emigrate there. Although Dubai doesn't have a rich history it still manages to be a better place for living.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM

174 posts, read 640,587 times
Yes at Dubai. The experience there is so forced, fake, scripted and not genuine.
Also, Tokyo. It is so over praised.
Others would be Los Angeles & Rio de Janeiro.

Underrated cities: Chicago, Montreal, Brussels & Seoul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World