Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Turks aren't Arab, some jews in Israel are "arab" but it's a mixed bag, and Iranians aren't Arab either.
I said EXCEPT Turkey, Israel and Iran

1.Saudi Arabia
2.Rest of Arab Peninsula (Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain)
3.Egypt
4.Libya, Tunisia
5.Algeria, Morocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I said EXCEPT Turkey, Israel and Iran
i
Whoooops. Well, still it's good to get it out there because people for some reason think that Turks, Iranians, Pakistanis, etc are Arab when they are not. They are Muslim majority, but that is different.

To answer the question, for me at least this is how I think of it:

1. Saudi/UAE/Kuwait/Qatari
2. Egyptian/Yemeni/Palestinian
3. Lebanese/Iraqi/Syrian/Jordanian
4. North African i.e. Morocco, Libya, Tunisian
5. "Arab" Jews living in Israel

I think it comes on image though. Traditional Saudis, UAE, etc look like what the stereotype is of people who look different in their dress and their faces even. For people in say Lebanon and Morocco, they are different in that they are more liberal and looks wise they look like a mix between Arab and European (you could say this about some Jordanian, Syria, and Palestinian too) and can sometimes easily be mistaken for European Mediterranean nationalities and sometimes even Spanish or Portuguese.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM

318 posts, read 625,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Anyone know? Please discuss. Thanks!
Jews, Irani, Palestine, Saudis.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Iran is Persian!
Only 2% of Iran is Arab.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 AM

580 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Anyone know? Please discuss. Thanks!
Saudi Arabia. It's kind of in the name. Also there are a lot more groups in the Middle East than Arabs. Some of the conflicts that went on between Middle Easter countries kind of came from British colonialism ending. They divided everything up that way and when they left the people fought based on cultural lines. If I were in charge of mid-east policy I'd seek the establishment of countries based a little bit more on ethnic background. It would at least be interesting to see what the map would look like that way.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
First country that comes to mind is Saudi Arabia, mainly due to the name. Areas from Morocco to Iraq as well as the entirety of the Arabian peninsula, I imagine as part of the Arab world.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Saudi Arabia, always. Next, the Arabs Emirates.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Arabs were originally the bedouin from the Arab peninsula, so I'd think of Saudi Arabia then the neighboring Gulf States and then Jordan.

The countries of the Levant have a more diverse history--so Syria and Lebanon(and Palestine) I always think of being somewhat different--along with Egypt. Once you get into North Africa you have a lot of Berber heritage. A place like Iraq is basically a hodgepodge of different ethnic groups(including the definitely non-Arab kurds).

The Arab world itself, is more a cultural/linguistic region than one solid ethnicity--it'd sort of be like if the French had conquered all of Western Europe at one point, and French basically became the language spoken by the majority of groups to this day...

Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,601 times
For some reason Algeria and Tunisia are the main ones that come to mind for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
I always think everyone from the middle East are Arabs... However I was told by someone that Persians are not Arabs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World