Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Caucasus European or Middle Eastern?
European 45 48.39%
Middle Eastern 48 51.61%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 AM

114 posts, read 624,250 times

Advertisements

Are they more accurately described as European or Middle Eastern, in terms of culture, looks, language etc.?

I sometimes see Armenia and Georgia as European, but not Azerbaijan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Georgia, a qualified yes.

Armenia... I'm on the fence. Armenia was subject to many of the cultural influences that also came together to form the greater European culture.

Azerbaijan, mostly an Iranic culture, so no.

I voted 'Yes' on the balance. Despite the Aryan language influence and remoteness from Europe proper, I believe the culture is very influenced by Europe.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 07-04-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I'd say that the three countries are in the middle, with Azerbaijan being the most "Middle Eastern" of the three, and Georgia being the most "European" of the three.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
Are they more accurately described as European or Middle Eastern, in terms of culture, looks, language etc.?

I sometimes see Armenia and Georgia as European, but not Azerbaijan.
As far as their looks and language go, they are more Middle Eastern than European, but their culture is much closer to Eastern European, because traditionally Armenia & Georgia were Christian countries, plus through Russification they became part of European culture in many ways. Same obviously can't be said about Azerbaijan, since Azerbaijan ( unlike Georgia and Armenia) was subjected under Islam, but it too, became secularized in many ways, because of Russian presence in the region.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Although the Eurovision Song Contest and the inter-European soccer tournaments include all three countries, I'd also have to say Azerbaijan is, due to its Islamic nature, rather part of the Middle-East.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
I only say Georga is part of Europe, the rest of them part of middle East.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Just because Azerbaijan is muslim majority does not automatically make it more Middle Eastern.

For one example, Albania and Bosnia are 100% officially in Europe geographically and have Muslim majorities.
Does this mean Albania and Bosnia are more Middle Eastern than European? I don't think so. They are still influenced in plenty of other ways to make them more European than Middle Eastern.

The difference is Azerbaijan is not geographically in the same location as Albania and Bosnia so it brings that country even less European influence than those two countries already have.

Out of the three Georgia is the most European influenced, Armenia is in the middle, and Azerbaijan is the least European influenced but overall all three are more European than Middle Eastern.

Those three countries get tons of direct Russian influence and a part of Russia borders Azerbaijan and Georgia. Armenia is close by from there. Also, Georgia, and Armenia are majority Christian. Also, all three of these countries(even Azerbaijan) seem kind of alienated from countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, and even Iran and still seem more closely connected to areas of Europe.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Georgia, a qualified yes.

Armenia... I'm on the fence. Armenia was subject to many of the cultural influences that also came together to form the greater European culture.

Azerbaijan, mostly an Iranic culture, so no.

I voted 'Yes' on the balance. Despite the Aryan language influence and remoteness from Europe proper, I believe the culture is very influenced by Europe.
yes, I agree I would only put Armenia a bit higher on the European side. It is such an old culture.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times
In my opinion, Georgians and Armenians are essentially Europeans.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
European in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World