Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 AM

278 posts, read 227,530 times

Advertisements

In Europe there are luxury tourist trains such as de Simplon Express in Italy.In Spain the Transcantabrico or the Andalus,etc etc etc etc-.-

Some of you have traveled on one of these luxury tourist trains ,What were your impressions? .-
You would recommend them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times
No, but I would live to. My bucket list includes

The Ghan
The Palace on Wheels
The Trans-Siberian
The Rocky Mountaineer
The Blue Train

And a couple of others.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,891 times
I've been on three train trips of over 36 hours in Africa. Dakar Senegal to Bamako Mali; Kigoma to Dar es Salaam Tanzania; and Wadi Halfa to Khartoum Sudan.

Trust me -- you do not do any of them for fun.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:21 AM

All my train trips have been from A to B, except two. I rode the fabulous train Bogota to Girardot, and I rode the narrow gauge Bonavista branch line in Newfoundland, which has a switchback, Both lines now closed for decades.

There are so few trains nowadays, I look for opportunities to use then. The number is down to near zero in South America, but I rode Llay-Llay to Santiago. I rode the last three trains in Nicaragua, which have been gone since 2001.

One of the nicest trains was Bergen to Oslo. I think tho only trains I've been on in this century were Chisinau to Odessa and Bangkok to Cambodia. The Batumi-Tbilisi train is so popular, you have to book days ahead.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-23-2019 at 03:39 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 02:43 PM

5,647 posts, read 11,202,844 times
In late 1971, I rode the former narrow gauge Trans-Andes train from Los Andes, Chile to Mendoza, Argentina. After that, I rode the former Trans-Pampa express train from Mendoza to Buenos Aires. It was a regular scheduled train, not a luxury tourist train. Argentina used to have an extensive passenger rail system.

In the early 1980s I took a steam train trip from Ansuncion, Paraguay to a nearby city. It was an actual scheduled rail trip, not a tourist train, still using a steam engine.

I also rode a former regular scheduled train from Arica, Chile to La Paz, Bolivia. The highest pass was just under 14,000 feet.

I've been on some tourist trains in the Andes of Peru, Cuzco to Machu Picchu, Cuzco to Lake Titicaca, and Lima to Huancayo. Both of these are still running.

Ecuador used to have a train from Quito to Guayquil. There are still a few short tourist trains left in Ecuador, but none run the full length of the old route.

The Copper Canyon railway in Mexico from Los Mochis, Sinaloa to Chihuahua is still a daily scheduled train, and tickets are relatively inexpensive. That is a great trip in the Spring or Fall.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Argentina used to have an extensive passenger rail system.
Short version of what happened. Rail was privatized, and the highest bidders pried up all the rails and sold them for scrap.[

Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 PM

I highly recommend The Canadian that runs between Toronto and Vancouver. The section that runs through BC is phenomenal.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,358,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I highly recommend The Canadian that runs between Toronto and Vancouver. The section that runs through BC is phenomenal.
Did that a couple of times back in the early 60's, both times mid-winter and had a full size cabin courtesy of DoD, daily newspaper stuck in door handle early AM, real silverware and monogrammed china, a blood rose floating in a huge goblet at the dinner table, etc.,

Memory of setting my alarm to get up and go to the dome car in the middle of the night to view the amazing moon-lit snow-covered scenery while going through the Rockies has stayed with me my entire adult life.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Did that a couple of times back in the early 60's, both times mid-winter and had a full size cabin courtesy of DoD, daily newspaper stuck in door handle early AM, real silverware and monogrammed china, a blood rose floating in a huge goblet at the dinner table, etc.,

Memory of setting my alarm to get up and go to the dome car in the middle of the night to view the amazing moon-lit snow-covered scenery while going through the Rockies has stayed with me my entire adult life.
It was quite a trip. Still my favourite. I wish I could have experienced the original route that passed through Regina and Calgary. In the future, I’d like to check out the Rocky Mountaineer.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 13,100,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
In Europe there are luxury tourist trains such as de Simplon Express in Italy.In Spain the Transcantabrico or the Andalus,etc etc etc etc-.-

Some of you have traveled on one of these luxury tourist trains ,What were your impressions? .-
You would recommend them ?
Belmond the company that operates the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, own a number of luxury trains which they run in Europe, Asia and South America. The trains also offer fine dining.

They also operate a chain of luxury hotels, and river cruises.

Belmond Trains | Luxury Train Journeys

Luxury Trains | Including Venice Simplon-Orient-Express

In terms of the UK, the following are interesting luxury and services.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-27-2019 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World