U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,604,344 times

Advertisements

I call myself an American. Latin Americans get obsurdly defensive that people from The United States of AMERICA call themselves Americans. Brazilians seem to have the most issues from it.

A brazilian dude that I once spoke to brought up this situation that the op refers to. He seemed to think he had the same claim to the American nationality that I do because he is from South America. I told him he can call himself whatever he wants, but my passport says i'm an an American. His does not. I also made a mockery of him, saying how cute it was that he wanted to think we were of the same people. I just can't stand it that Brazilians want to constantly fight over this issue. Brazilians are Brazilians! They aren't Americans!
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,016,410 times
I'm in Australia and we say 'America' or 'the US'. And we refer to the people as 'Yanks' or 'Americans'. Sometimes 'Seppos', an old slang term.

When I lived in Canada, I never heard 'America'. It was most often referred to as 'the States' or 'the US'. Many Canadians got defensive about Americans monopolizing the term 'America' for themselves, as the entire continent is technically the Americas. I never really understood that attitude but that's the way they feel.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,130,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I call myself an American. Latin Americans get obsurdly defensive that people from The United States of AMERICA call themselves Americans. Brazilians seem to have the most issues from it.

A brazilian dude that I once spoke to brought up this situation that the op refers to. He seemed to think he had the same claim to the American nationality that I do because he is from South America. I told him he can call himself whatever he wants, but my passport says i'm an an American. His does not. I also made a mockery of him, saying how cute it was that he wanted to think we were of the same people. I just can't stand it that Brazilians want to constantly fight over this issue. Brazilians are Brazilians! They aren't Americans!
¿Are you reading yourself? You say that the Brazilians do not form a part of America, that it is a continent, not a country!. ¿Then you insinuate the North American can be called an American for having more "right" to do it?
To call exclusively American implies that unconsciously you consider USA as the owner of the continent. It is an unconscious operation, i know it, but it is what you give to understand thinking of this form. Do i explain? (my english is deficient, i'm argentinian).
With regard to the topic of the thread, here in Argentina call the people of USA "norteamericanos" (Northamericans), "estadounidenses" (Something like "unitedstatens" xD), or, in a more informal way, "yankis".

Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM

92 posts, read 127,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
US citizens are americans,the others are canadians,brazilians,mexicans and so on.
A passport from Canada says under country nationality {Canadian}
A passport from Mexico says under Country Nationality {Mexican}
A passport from Britain says under country nationality {British}
A passport from Brazil says under country nationality {Brazilian}
A passport from Argentina says under country nationality {Argentina}

Now U.S. Citizens check your passport to see what it says under "Country Nationality" and you will be surprised that it does NOT say "American".

The U.S. passport says that your nationality is United States of America NOT American.

You don't believe me? Check this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pasaporte-eua.jpg

File:Blank uspassprebio.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM

16,102 posts, read 38,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Hello everybody!

Teaching English as a second language in Cambridge, MA and I had quite the vigorous with some of my students today. They were saying that Americans think that we're the center of the world (okay, there's some truth to that) and that calling ourselves Americans was an example of that. Their argument was that everybody from North, Central and South American are "Americans" because they are from the giant, supercontinent known as America. To them, Brazilians are Americans, Canadians are Americans, etc...

I've heard the argument before so it was nothing new. But, my question for them is, and you guys as well, "what should we call ourselves?" The United States doesn't have a proper name other than The United States of America. Should we be the "The United Statesers?" That sounds weird and we're also not the only united collection of states in the world.

So, what is our new name? (please forgo names like Fatties, Gringos and World Dominators...we already went through them in my class
United Statesers.

If Latin Americans don't want us calling ourselves 'Americans', than I certainly wish they'd stop calling us 'Americanos'. 8-)

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM

92 posts, read 127,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

You passport does NOT stay that you are an American, it states that your Nationality is: United States of America

Please take a look and learn:

File:Pasaporte-eua.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meaning that you are an United Staters of American. Everybody from the Canadian North Pole to the Argentinian Patagonia is an American as the continent name is The Americas.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,604,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
¿Are you reading yourself? You say that the Brazilians do not form a part of America, that it is a continent, not a country!. ¿Then you insinuate the North American can be called an American for having more "right" to do it?
To call exclusively American implies that unconsciously you consider USA as the owner of the continent. It is an unconscious operation, i know it, but it is what you give to understand thinking of this form. Do i explain? (my english is deficient, i'm argentinian).
With regard to the topic of the thread, here in Argentina call the people of USA "norteamericanos" (Northamericans), "estadounidenses" (Something like "unitedstatens" xD), or, in a more informal way, "yankis".
America is a country. North America and South America are continents. I am not insinuating that The United States of AMERICA owns both continents, but we do own the nationality.

When you meet someone from The People's Republic of China, they don't say they are from The People's Republic. They say they are from China. What would you have people from The United States call themselves considering you wish to share their nationality with them?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 AM

23,883 posts, read 67,702,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
A passport from Canada says under country nationality {Canadian}
A passport from Mexico says under Country Nationality {Mexican}
A passport from Britain says under country nationality {British}
A passport from Brazil says under country nationality {Brazilian}
A passport from Argentina says under country nationality {Argentina}

Now U.S. Citizens check your passport to see what it says under "Country Nationality" and you will be surprised that it does NOT say "American".

The U.S. passport says that your nationality is United States of America NOT American.

You don't believe me? Check this site:

File:Pasaporte-eua.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Blank uspassprebio.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You know what?
It's not a big deal for me.
You can call yourself martians for all I care.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 AM

16,102 posts, read 38,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
You know what?
It's not a big deal for me.
You can call yourself martians for all I care.
That's how I feel.

If someone creates another name for Americano/American, I'm all for it.

As it is, it's just a discussion for generally Latin American people to take swipes at Americanos.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,685,704 times
Americans are the inhabitants of the United States of America.
Some also say North Americans.
Both denominations are informal and not correct, at least in Spanish.
The correct denomination in Spanish is "Estadounidense"....but such denomination is not correct since Mexicans and Brazilians are also Estadounidenses.
So there's no correct denomination for Americans, at least in Spanish.
Had the South won the war, I guess Americans would be called "Sureños", not correct either....
Gringo is not correct either, since in parts of South America anybody with blonde hair is a gringo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.