Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North American (USA, Canada, Mexico) vs. European road signs and system?
I like the North American ! 19 41.30%
I like the European ! 23 50.00%
Don't know the North American/European 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM

95 posts, read 196,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
I voted for Europe because many our signs include words and I think it should only be symbols, because then you have to speak English to understand them.
Most of U.S. road signs are symbolic. There are only few signs, such as "BUMP" and "NARROW BRIDGE" that are word, otherwise all others are mainly symbolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
Most of U.S. road signs are symbolic. There are only few signs, such as "BUMP" and "NARROW BRIDGE" that are word, otherwise all others are mainly symbolic.

Iced bridge, iced street, workers present, higher fines, slow, no parking, must turn, no turn, keep off median, this lighg for left turn, school zone, keep right or left, be prepared to stop, don't pick up hitch hikers, caution, children playing, cross traffic, ded end, one way, flash flood area, lane merges, lane ends, loose gravel, no outlet, low shoulder, no passing zone etc. There are many.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM

95 posts, read 196,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
Iced bridge, iced street, workers present, higher fines, slow, no parking, must turn, no turn, keep off median, this lighg for left turn, school zone, keep right or left, be prepared to stop, don't pick up hitch hikers, caution, children playing, cross traffic, ded end, one way, flash flood area, lane merges, lane ends, loose gravel, no outlet, low shoulder, no passing zone etc. There are many.
< NO PARKING

< School (X-ING)

< Stop Ahead / Be prepared to stop

< Children at play (Could be different similar sign too)

<< ONE WAY

<< Lane ends (right)

<< Road work (Although text sign is more widely seen)

So what are you talking about? There are few old ones' that might be text only, but those are not standard and definetely not widely seen.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
The U.S. has certainly greatly increased the number of pictograms on its road signs but there are still a lot of them with words only, certainly when compared to Europe and even Canada.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
< NO PARKING

< School (X-ING)

< Stop Ahead / Be prepared to stop

< Children at play (Could be different similar sign too)

<< ONE WAY

<< Lane ends (right)

<< Road work (Although text sign is more widely seen)

So what are you talking about? There are few old ones' that might be text only, but those are not standard and definetely not widely seen.

You apparently don't even live in the US.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Quote:
In North America there are different types of road signs. Black on white are for regulatory signs. Yellow diamond shaped for warning signs, and red on white for STOP or YIELD signs. Red on white means prohibited, and green on white means allowed. Orange for construction/road work. How easy could that be?

The Swedish Yield sign is ugly, and No stopping/standing is hard to understand. "Annan fara !" is ununderstandable symbol with just an " l" instead of "!" like continental Europe lol.

Center line dividing opposite traffic is white in Sweden, while it is yellow in North America (but also in Norway and Finland).
Well, I was very specific with what sign I was talking about. And if you've ever driven on a road in a state where the winter is white, you'd know what I mean when I say the speed signs don't really show. In Sweden you can't miss them, they're very colourfull, hence I have no problem noticing the Swedish speed signs during winter.

And I don't care how estetically pleasing a road sign is. All that matters to this driver is:
1) Can I see it at all times/seasons?
2) Can I understand it?

(I spend so much time on the road, and I have driven in so many countries by now that my preferentials are pretty set: Swedish/European model(s), hands down.)

Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM

21 posts, read 22,540 times
Default Canadian Road Signs

In response to the many posts in preference of European road signs because they rely more on universal symbols than words as the US signs do, many signs in Canada (not Mexico as many of their signs look different), while Canadian signs look almost identical to US signs, they use more symbols than the US ones. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion. I like the colours of the North American signs, but do prefer more symbols as opposed to just English writing. Canadian signs typically cover both of these. Here are a few examples of US signs that use text and the same Canadian signs using symbols.

Narrowing Road: US - Canada -
Uneven Road: US - Canada -
Loose Gravel: US - Canada -
Draw Bridge: US - Canada -
No Motorcycles: US - Canada -

Among some others

Last edited by elliottman98; 04-12-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
There are already vast differences within Europe... For instance I think they are often poorly designed in Belgium (like written in white on yellow with a police size similar to the one used on this board).

France has a color system that is the reverse of the rest of (western) europe, green means main roads while blue means highways, whereas green means highways everywhere else. Because of that I have already several times mistakenly missed highway entrances in France after weeks spent here because I got used to the Italian color system.

Also, in France the speed limit is shown roughly every half kilometer whereas here in Italy you usually have to guess because it won't be written before at least 20 kilometers. That might explain why many drivers assume 120 km/h is ok on country roads ?

I'll try to think of other differences...

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find the North American road signs more visually attractive but they still use too many words as opposed to pictograms, especially in the U.S. The use of pictograms has increased steadily in North America, and hopefully this will continue.

Pictograms are used more in Europe, although even there there are still quite a few words, though not so much as in the U.S.

Ideally, almost everything road signs except place and street names should have a universally recognizable pictogram-type illustration.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
France has a color system that is the reverse of the rest of (western) europe, green means main roads while blue means highways, whereas green means highways everywhere else. Because of that I have already several times mistakenly missed highway entrances in France after weeks spent here because I got used to the Italian color system.
In Germany, freeways (autobahn) have also blue road signs like French autoroutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World