Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North American (USA, Canada, Mexico) vs. European road signs and system?
I like the North American ! 19 41.30%
I like the European ! 23 50.00%
Don't know the North American/European 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Well, I was very specific with what sign I was talking about. And if you've ever driven on a road in a state where the winter is white, you'd know what I mean when I say the speed signs don't really show. In Sweden you can't miss them, they're very colourfull, hence I have no problem noticing the Swedish speed signs during winter.

And I don't care how estetically pleasing a road sign is. All that matters to this driver is:
1) Can I see it at all times/seasons?
2) Can I understand it?

(I spend so much time on the road, and I have driven in so many countries by now that my preferentials are pretty set: Swedish/European model(s), hands down.)
I agree. I have driven in 41 states and in most places when it's snowing, you cannot see those signs until you're right up on them. In a few places, the speed limit is variable depending on conditions. In those areas, the sings are digital; black with bright amber numbers and can be seen a good way away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Some road signs vary from state to state and some province to province.

One difference I've noticed is that ( at least in California, maybe some Americans can chime in on this ) a sign alerting you
to a traffic signal ahead, usually because it's hidden around a curve, has continuous flashing amber lights.

In Canada, ( at least here in BC, maybe some Canadians can chime in ) the same sign ONLY flashes if the signal is about to change to red.

Also here in BC a flashing green light for a controlled pedestrian crossing. That one seems to confuse people outside of BC.

As for Europe and symbols versus words, I remember quite distinctly in France seeing signs that said " passage Canadien ". As you can see, this one uses both.

It appears that is what they call their cattle guards, or Texas gates I believe in the US.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:34 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In Germany, freeways (autobahn) have also blue road signs like French autoroutes.
apparently, both color systems coexist:

Old 05-01-2016, 03:33 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
North American signs all the way, the presence of written language makes it easy to learn them and understandable for everyone. I think written language should be coupled with signs though especially in European countries where there's a considerably high number of foreign drivers (ranging from lorry to rented cars and scooter and most of which probably don't understand the language) on a country's soil at any moment

Old 05-01-2016, 04:10 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
When I first moved to the US the sign that gave me the most amusement was the inverted triangle "Yield" sign.
I understood that word as a financial investment term, similar to return on investment (ROI).
In Ireland/UK that sign has the words "Give Way".

Old 05-01-2016, 05:02 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
North American signs all the way, the presence of written language makes it easy to learn them and understandable for everyone. I think written language should be coupled with signs though especially in European countries where there's a considerably high number of foreign drivers (ranging from lorry to rented cars and scooter and most of which probably don't understand the language) on a country's soil at any moment
I think the opposite. Signs are much more international and written words take longer to read.

Or better, put a sign above words, so that everyone understands.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
Center line dividing opposite traffic is white in Sweden, while it is yellow in North America (but also in Norway and Finland).
The center line dividing traffic is white in Finland. The yellow line means that it's prohibited to enter the opposing lane at that particular spot.

Like here: http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...tonemapped.jpg

Overtaking allowed on the right lane, prohibited on the left lane (probably due to poorer visibility in that direction).

Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 AM

401 posts, read 649,701 times
I think that North American signs are more aesthetically pleasing than European signs ... they just fit better the environment IMO, whereas in Europe signs stand out a lot and are kinda ugly I think

Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
I think people who live in Europe will pick European signage and Americans will pick American...

Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This would seem to be an argument against written language.

I think it would be best to get an international agreement regarding standardized signs.

The signs would be standardized in terms of:

1. Shape

2. Color

3. Ideograms/pictograms

I imagine that there would be a transition period in which the signs would include words in the local language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World