Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North American (USA, Canada, Mexico) vs. European road signs and system?
I like the North American ! 19 41.30%
I like the European ! 23 50.00%
Don't know the North American/European 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM

95 posts, read 196,587 times

Advertisements

North American (USA, CANADA, MEXICO) and European road signs are quite different from each other. For example warning signs in Europe (except Ireland) are triangle-shaped, while in North America they are diamond-shaped. Road signs in North America tends to be easier to understand than some of the European ones'.

Which road signs and system do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I find the North American road signs more visually attractive but they still use too many words as opposed to pictograms, especially in the U.S. The use of pictograms has increased steadily in North America, and hopefully this will continue.

Pictograms are used more in Europe, although even there there are still quite a few words, though not so much as in the U.S.

Ideally, almost everything road signs except place and street names should have a universally recognizable pictogram-type illustration.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find the North American road signs more visually attractive but they still use too many words as opposed to pictograms, especially in the U.S. The use of pictograms has increased steadily in North America, and hopefully this will continue.

Pictograms are used more in Europe, although even there there are still quite a few words, though not so much as in the U.S.

Ideally, almost everything road signs except place and street names should have a universally recognizable pictogram-type illustration.
I know but many European road signs are hard to know, especially for visitors. For example NO PARKING/STANDING signs in Europe are blue and red X or /

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
For those not familiar with what is used in Europe, follow this link: scroll "road traffic signs and signals"

Portugal Driving Direction - Regulations - Road Signs

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,019 times
Funny thread - one of the things that make me homesick in the US is actually the road signs ...

I much prefere the European model (although I prefere the Swedish model over the continental - for the same reason I prefere the European over the North American) because it's easier to see them. The US are easier to understand (and there aren't that many either), but much of the time, they are virtually hidden against the background.

In Sweden the speed signs are colourfull, in the US they are black on white. Come winter, guess who's speeding/driving too slowly ...

Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Funny thread - one of the things that make me homesick in the US is actually the road signs ...

I much prefere the European model (although I prefere the Swedish model over the continental - for the same reason I prefere the European over the North American) because it's easier to see them. The US are easier to understand (and there aren't that many either), but much of the time, they are virtually hidden against the background.

In Sweden the speed signs are colourfull, in the US they are black on white. Come winter, guess who's speeding/driving too slowly ...
In North America there are different types of road signs. Black on white are for regulatory signs. Yellow diamond shaped for warning signs, and red on white for STOP or YIELD signs. Red on white means prohibited, and green on white means allowed. Orange for construction/road work. How easy could that be?

The Swedish Yield sign is ugly, and No stopping/standing is hard to understand. "Annan fara !" is ununderstandable symbol with just an " l" instead of "!" like continental Europe lol.

Center line dividing opposite traffic is white in Sweden, while it is yellow in North America (but also in Norway and Finland).

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: copyrighted material removed

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
Which road signs and system do you prefer?
European ones.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
I think it would be very confusing with american road signs in Sweden.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
I voted for Europe because many our signs include words and I think it should only be symbols, because then you have to speak English to understand them.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
I prefer European signs because they do not need to rely on words to convey their meaning and thus, can be understood by anyone, regardless of their native language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World