Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which continent on our globe are YOU most interested in?
Africa 11 7.01%
Antarctica 7 4.46%
Asia 36 22.93%
Europe 67 42.68%
North America 24 15.29%
Oceania 4 2.55%
South America 8 5.10%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,027,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
In North America, the cities are FAR more unique than every other continent.You have the largest variety of one of a kind cities that deliver EXTREMELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES out there
North America have the most fun/well known cities in the world i agree but Europe still have more UNIQUE cities tho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Excluding my own continent, my list would be:

1) North America
2) South America
3) Oceania
4) Asia
5) Africa
6) Antarctica

Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 AM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
I like the Americas for the whole clash and melding of civilizations thing that has been going on for the past 500 years. The way these two contintents have changed in such a short time I think is unprecedented. To think that the middle ages was a longer period than the entire history of the Americas after European arrival, and that in that time we have created new ethnicities, new culutures and new nations that are still in a process of assimulating people from before the time of Columbus is pretty fascinating. I see this process still happening when I see the Bolivian Indian immigrant street sellers here in Rio speaking a language that is probably quechua but whose children go to public schools and are learning portuguese. You can tell the more recent arrivals because the woman usually still use traditional clothes, but after a while they seem to get into wearing shorts and flipflops like everybody else.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
It's remarkable that the majority of the respondents named one of the continents where the culture and the economy and the geography and the history are the most similar to your own.

It's as if "different" and "interesting" are diametrically opposite concepts. What does that say about natural curiosity?

It's like, if I tell you something that you had already known, you would reply "Oh, that's interesting!"

Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's remarkable that the majority of the respondents named one of the continents where the culture and the economy and the geography and the history are the most similar to your own.

It's as if "different" and "interesting" are diametrically opposite concepts. What does that say about natural curiosity?

It's like, if I tell you something that you had already known, you would reply "Oh, that's interesting!"
Are you referring to Europe and N. America?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
For me it has to be Antarctica, since I live and work there 6 to 7 months out of the year.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
For me it has to be Antarctica, since I live and work there 6 to 7 months out of the year.
Must be amazing but would take an oftern heard complaint about the USA to the extreme. "It has not culture!"

Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Asia.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
For me, it has to be EUROPE !!
But its totally personal, some people think North America is the most interesting continent, and i find it to be the least interesting (well, i ve been there, and i feel i ve seen a lot about it due to cultural imperialism, lol. Plus, it seems to be very new and monotonous and uninteresting and not very cultural. Landscape wise, though, it must be really interesting) and i feel Europe is utterly interesting for all the history it has, for the architecture, the people, and all the stories behind even the smallest rock. Its such a rich continent if you are interested in History!!!

Then, i would love to go to South and central America (the parts i havent been yet), Africa, Asia and Oceanía.

I find North America to be the most boring and monotonous by far.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
North America have the most fun/well known cities in the world i agree but Europe still have more UNIQUE cities tho!

the most fun/well known cities in the world? seriously? who thinks that? Maybe you and some of your friends, lol.

You cant seriously be saying that N.America has more fun/well known cities than PARIS, ROME, LONDON, AMSTERDAM, BERLIN, BARCELONA, etc. The only city that can compare to this cities is NEW YORK. Besides that, Europe is like a million times more well-known and famous for the rest of the world than N.America cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World