Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

For the English-speaking world only, I'd say the intellectual capital is London. It's still the focal point of the greatest in literature, poetry, history and architecture, as well as where the basic government, legal and economic systems and concepts originate.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-28-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
I'd say university cities are the most intellectual

So Oxford,Boston etc.

Also maybe cities with alot of government work being done. Maybe Brussels and Washington?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
I'm pretty old-school when it comes to defining an "intellectual"-----someone who speaks more than one language, has an understanding of history, literature, the arts and philosophy, as well as science, economics and mathematics. In other words, a well rounded individual academically. My choices in the U.S. would be Cambridge, Mass., Berkeley, California, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Princeton, N.J., and a few other college towns in the U.S.. I don't consider myself an "intellectual", but it is stimulating to live in the Washington (DC) area-----a town full of very bright people, most of whom I wouldn't consider true intellectuals, though.

Last edited by smithy77; 08-31-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 AM

321 posts, read 960,236 times
<< the smarts and money to start new industries and businesses >>

Oh wow, that is so sad to be so limited as to look at this from an outdated capitalist perspective. I am much more interested in intellectuals who are working on social and societal issues or creating new art to uplift the human spirit.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:22 AM

410 posts, read 949,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I wouldn't believe in that [that china is on its way back to dominance] for a moment; no one have ever heard about "greatness of China" in the modern world, until the West brought the technology there...
Nobody heard about the greatness of the US until Europeans took their political, economic, intellectual and technological culture there - but that doesn't mean that America didn't dominate the 20th century.

Nobody heard about the greatness of Europe until various non-european ideas, inventions and discoveries - most notably food production techniques originating in the middle east, language and writing systems originating in south Asia, and principals of mathematics originating in the middle east - had been brought there.

Your mistake is a fundamental one - the great societies of the world - which are also, I would argue, the intellectual centres of the world - are those that assimilate ideas from far and wide.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM

230 posts, read 904,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post

Oh wow, that is so sad to be so limited as to look at this from an outdated capitalist perspective. I am much more interested in intellectuals who are working on social and societal issues or creating new art to uplift the human spirit.
Actually starting a new business and or helping to create a new industry can be as intellectually challenging and as creative as any art. That is probably why new industries such as hi-tech are usually centered in smart and creative centers such as San Francisco, Cambridge, Seattle. In addition, it is not a zero sum game. Just because you are trying to create and run a business does not mean you cannot also be concerned about society or trying to uplift humanity. For all his faults Bill Gates is a good example of this.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Interesting. Your unemployment data for Princeton doesn't make sense. What was your source? I could not find anything specific to Princeton but unemployment rate in Mercer County, NJ Is 8.5 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In terms of the most people with higher degrees per capita, it would be some place like Hanover, New Hampshire, the site of the Ivy League's Dartmouth College:

Population over age 25:
Bachelor's degree or higher: 77.0%
Graduate or professional degree: 40.9%

Here are some others:

Ann Arbor MI
Bachelor's degree or higher: 69.3%
Graduate or professional degree: 39.4%

Princeton NJ
Bachelor's degree or higher: 60.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 39.6%

Cambridge MA
Bachelor's degree or higher: 65.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 38.5%

Los Alamos NM
Bachelor's degree or higher: 62.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 37.3%

Berkeley CA
Bachelor's degree or higher: 64.3%
Graduate or professional degree: 34.3%

Here's one of the funny things you discover when looking things up. For Princeton,, NJ,

Bachelor's degree or higher: 60.1%
Unemployed: 42.3%

Which means that everyone in Princeton over the age of 25 either has a bachelors degree, or is unemployed, or both.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess that is because it has been quite some time ago, plus we are not used to thinking globally and historically. We grow up thinking of ourselves as the permanent center of the world...
Touché. And we are not being very intellectual by thinking that the center of intellectual rigor is the west.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
Nobody heard about the greatness of the US until Europeans took their political, economic, intellectual and technological culture there - but that doesn't mean that America didn't dominate the 20th century.
People who founded the US ARE Europeans, so your statement simply doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Nobody heard about the greatness of Europe until various non-european ideas, inventions and discoveries - most notably food production techniques originating in the middle east, language and writing systems originating in south Asia, and principals of mathematics originating in the middle east - had been brought there.

Your mistake is a fundamental one - the great societies of the world - which are also, I would argue, the intellectual centres of the world - are those that assimilate ideas from far and wide.
The greatness of Europe in the modern world came from technological advances - the kind that no one ever seen before and because of its social ideas.
Simply "assimilating ideas from far and wide" is not good enough - Russia is a good example of that. So it's not me who is making a *fundamental* mistake - sorry.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post

As I've already said, the idea that money and intellect walk hand in hand is mostly American train of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World