Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

In the US, I have seen a TV commercial which says that all of the plastic water bottles joined together would go around the world two and a half times. I've noticed more and more ppl buy these year after year. We are accustomed to fastness and convenience here in the US, hence ppl would rather buy bottled water rather than fill a jug with ice water for consumption like we used to do.
Do people in other countries also buy the quantities of bottled water that we do here in the States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 PM

120 posts, read 313,154 times
I don't think people in the U.S. buy bottled water for convience. It's more of a percieved notion that bottled water is cleaner, healthier, better for you thanks to slick advertising. In a few cases I concede that bottled water is better than tap water.

In 3rd world countries where water quality is not high on the list of priorities people have to depend on bottled water for safe drinking water. I can't tell you whether the rest of the world consumes more bottled water than Americans do but I can tell you that bottled water is alot cheaper overseas in most places.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Actually, U.S. consumption of bottled water fell in 2010, for the first time. The monumental scope of the problem is finally dawning on people. Not only the enormous waste of plastic in landfills, the cost to manufacture the plastic, and the enormous wasted cost of transporting the water by truck, in some cases halfway around the world from the South Pacific. I'm sure you will find many discussion threads about bottled water on the "Green Living" City-data forum.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've seen young beautiful-people walking around carrying a designer-brand water bottle as a fashion accessory. Look at me, I'm so cool, I drink bottled water. Look, here's my 4G device---Oh, it's ringing now, see how important I am to all my many friends?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In the US, I have seen a TV commercial which says that all of the plastic water bottles joined together would go around the world two and a half times. I've noticed more and more ppl buy these year after year. We are accustomed to fastness and convenience here in the US, hence ppl would rather buy bottled water rather than fill a jug with ice water for consumption like we used to do.
Do people in other countries also buy the quantities of bottled water that we do here in the States?
In Malaysia people drink MORE bottled water per capita than do those in the USA. Water supplied at taps needs to be treated before drinking use. We use a filter to remove iron and a few other chemicals and then boil that water to kill most biologics. After cooling, the water goes into plastic (non-designer ) bottles and then into the fridge.

I don't know anyone who drinks straight from a tap.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
In most of Europa you buy drinks ( water, juices, soft drinks, beer ) per case (12-24). The first time you pay for the case and glass bottles, but after that you just bring your case and empty bottles and only pay for the drinks. If you ever decide to stop buying those drinks, you just bring the case and empty glasses and you get your money back.
Bottled water is not a tap water - this is mineral water ( still or sparkling) that has a long list of minerals and elements.
Juices are 100% real, unsweetened juices.

Last edited by elnina; 08-26-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Australians drink a lot of bottled water - about $500 million worth last year. I don't think it's viewed as a fashion statement and don't know of designer brands of water. It's more a necessity, especially during the hot summers we get here.

A lot of people don't mind their tap water but it depends on the quality of it. Where I live, it's heavily chlorinated hard water with a flat, not too palatable taste, I can't stand it. We have a filter on our fridge water dispenser. That's what we drink, filling reusable bottles with it. I do buy bottled water often, if I'm out, and it's hot, and I either forgot my water or more likely I drank it all and need more. You really can't go too long without water here in Perth. It's very warm to hot for about 6 months of the year, and very dry.

I love sparkling water and often buy cases of the stuff, i.e., San Pellegrino, on special. Love it with a slice of lime or lemon, on ice. Very refreshing.

As a country we're pathetic at recycling. Only one state has bottle deposits. I read something that said only a third of our bottles are recycled in all other states. Very bad.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In most of Europa you buy drinks ( water, juices, soft drinks, beer ) per case (12-24). The first time you pay for the case and glass bottles, but after that you just bring your case and empty bottles and only pay for the drinks. If you ever decide to stop buying those drinks, you just bring the case and empty glasses and you get your money back.
Bottled water is not a tap water - this is mineral water ( still or sparkling) that has a long list of minerals and elements.
Juices are 100% real, unsweetened juices.
Single containers for milk & juices are usually made from cardboard. For plastic and glass bottles you get deposit back.
This picture I made in Poland:

Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 AM

120 posts, read 313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've seen young beautiful-people walking around carrying a designer-brand water bottle as a fashion accessory. Look at me, I'm so cool, I drink bottled water. Look, here's my 4G device---Oh, it's ringing now, see how important I am to all my many friends?
WTF ? LOL What does this have to do with the OP's question ?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
There countries where the tap water is not drinkable and therefore people need to drink bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World