Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One can tell from the way people dress, their mannerisms and facial expressions from what part of the world they come from. One just needs to learn these facts in advance to be able to guess correctly.
I agree.

Americans tend to be more overweight, though does depend on the area.

Last week was at a Costco in the states (North Dakota) and noticed all the mens pants starting at 32 waist, got back home to Canada and went to Costco and pants all started at size 28 for basically the same pair of pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Perplexed and confused by a bidet?
You must be an American.

I use a pressure washer myself.
I sure don't look forward to taking craps.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Kind of creepy how people are going so much into detail about Americans...

To answer the op, its actually really hard for me... walk around somewhere like Disney world, Manhattan or Vegas (places with a lot of international visitors) and i there was plenty of people who were obviously not from this country... men wearing capris.. but most of the time i would run into people who i think were locals but ended up being from somewhere really far away like Argentina, German or France.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Can the average (white) European distinguish any differences between black Americans, Africans from any nation and blacks from a European nation?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:41 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Americans are easy to spot. They flock the free food as soon as it is presented. This happened to us in Dutch colony Curacao on a boat trip for tourists. Always bring your own food when hanging out with Americans.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Can the average (white) European distinguish any differences between black Americans, Africans from any nation and blacks from a European nation?
By how they dress, yes most of the time.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Americans usually have tendency to be dressed more sporty and "comfy" comparably to Europeans on their trips abroad. I didn't see any particularly overweight American tourists, but they have tendency to be a louder crowd than Europeans. Also, I think that most of American men are simply larger in bones on average ( more husky built - and so are Russians by the way) comparably to many Europeans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
Americans:
First the obvious - Americans are the only ones wearing sneakers to a suit. If you don't spot the shoes, you can identify the American male by how his attire goes from overly formal the first day of the conference to overly informal the last day of the conference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I can tell American by their countenance/ facial expression / spiritual aura (or rather lack thereof) before I decide based on actual physical features (though those can be a good clue too).

Americans tend to look nonchalant, unassuming and socially disconnected. In some of the worse cases - vacuous, self-absorbed but not self-aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Theoretically Americans have all kinds of faces, but the vast majority of tourists from the US are still the white Midwestern type. American men run around like bloated schoolboys and women often have that odd auntie look. And many Americans have those little bags around their waists, like saying, look at me, I am a tourist, come and rob me, I deserve it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Americans are louder and their accent are very sharp, you can hear them from a long distance. Kind of gregarious too. They sit in a very definite way in terraces and they don't wear sandals, but sneakers and socks. Kind of strange sport clothes, always carrying gimmicks. They speak Spanish, or use a repertoire of a few words with dexterity. They are more interested in things, they ask a lot.

American tourists in Barcelona have a higher cultural and economical level than most European tourists, in certain ways they are similar to Russians, but Russian have those stunning women... Both are big spenders and both visit museums, etc. Americans tip, so they are kind of popular among waiters, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
I´m from Valencia, Spain, a few mounths ago i fainted in the subway, there was a group of americans, for the america´s cup i think, two guys took me out of the vague and were taking care of me a few minutes until i recovered, i found it a great detail since they weren´t local people and could have expected that others help me, were dressed to the "american style" with caps, shirts and sneakers , the germans in Spain are famous for combining sandals with shocks, but i´ve never seen this in people of my age, people of eastern europe allways seem to me like they had some grief in them, a hard culture i guess...Sorry for the mistakes, i´m starting in this language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Americans: Fat or overweight, rounder featured than europeans, usually dress very casual and sporty, use shirts with big printers and baseball type of caps. Usually pale/red skinend, brown haired and medium height as a group(around 5'10 and sometimes a little more) around 178-180 cm average males there in my observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Americans: Definitely their clothing. Not only the running shoes, but also they usually dress a lot more colorful than their European counterparts and have the weirdest t-shirts you can imagine. Girls often wear flip-flops, even in ****ty weather. Many wear shades, even when it is cloudy. Guys usually wear stuff that is not very fitting, European males tend to wear stuff that is a bit tighter. Also, at least where I am from, most adult males don't wear very short shorts, but Americans do so.
Another thing is that Americans have a certain way to smile. Not all of them, but many. They seem to feel more pressured into smiling and have a very broad, sometimes fake-looking smile. But that might just be my impression from the people I know. So no offense intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Americans also have largely Irish ancestry, and most of those anglo-saxons are just native british people, considering most angles and saxons did not have any major impact in the british DNA, but it was mostly a cultural and linguistical impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I agree.

Americans tend to be more overweight, though does depend on the area.

Last week was at a Costco in the states (North Dakota) and noticed all the mens pants starting at 32 waist, got back home to Canada and went to Costco and pants all started at size 28 for basically the same pair of pants.
Seriously this is probably going to come across as a little strange to a lot of Americans, when you people see an American tourist do you watch their every move and study their whole wardrobe and take note of it when you get home or something?

Its just all weird to me because here in the U.S we don't really go into detail about what kind of shoes, what kind of attitude, smile, clothing, body build of (lets say Chinese) tourists.

So what makes us stand out?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Seriously this is probably going to come across as a little strange to a lot of Americans, when you people see an American tourist do you watch their every move and study their whole wardrobe and take note of it when you get home or something?

Its just all weird to me because here in the U.S we don't really go into detail about what kind of shoes, what kind of attitude, smile, clothing, body build of (lets say Chinese) tourists.

People don't go into detail about any tourists…unless they are asked, like in this thread.

I'm not a 100 percent accurate, and no one is, since stereotypes are always dangerous…but in general I can tell whether a tourist is western European as opposed to American…not always….a lot has to do with the age of the tourists.

American women in their 50's and upward tend to dress louder and seem brassy. A different kind of brassy than say Italian and Russian.
This of course doesn't mean ALL American women in that age group, BUT tourists in general. Put a group of those women and stand them beside the same age group of women from Scotland and the difference seems more obvious. As for Canadian women…probably somewhere in the middle.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm not really good at identifying different nationalities myself but I go to an international school with a lot of German students, and many of them told me there is a very clear difference in the dress style of Dutch people compared to Germans. Since then, I started paying attention to it more and it's true, now I can usually spot a Dutch person in a crowd of Germans and vice versa The difference is that Dutch people, particularly young people, dress a lot more "posh" than Germans. Almost all girls here wear skinny jeans, high-healed shoes, scarves, belts and accessories. T-shirts with (cartoon-ish) print or (inappropriate) texts are considered trashy and low-class. The younger men tend to wear blouses or polo-shirts often. In contrast, Germans are generally dressed a lot more "casual" and are more likely to wear sneakers, vests, wide jeans etc.

Just an observation
That's quite the bold fashion statement.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Some of those descriptions are hilarious and to someone like me living in Philly so far off the mark. The Euro tourists that come thru here on the NYC, Philly, DC trips stick out like sore thumbs. They walk around Reading T market with the dumbest look on their faces, and honestly, some look seriously inbred to me with these giant ears sticking out like dumbo and little narrow shoulders. American men seem so much more broad shouldered than the average Brit or German. Not sure why. . Many of these Euro tourists are walking around eating ice cream and sweets and certainly look way out of shape.

Even myself, not very gung ho about the US and its many faults, am getting pretty tired of this constant bashing and insulting as if Europe is the land of the beautiful and pure. I like many things about the European lifestyle, but in the looks department I find Americans much more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World