U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 199 34.91%
London 177 31.05%
New York City 194 34.04%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

412 posts, read 882,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Yeah never understood that.
Why would you wanna go to a country where you are not welcome and where everything is overpriced.
Provincial NL is one of the most over-priced places I've been. Paris is expensive, but no more so than should be expected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM

75 posts, read 259,160 times
I spent a year in Paris but have been to London and New York both only for a weekend, so I'm sure it's an unfair comparison, but I'll try nevertheless.

Weather: Depends on what you like, either Paris or New York. New York gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter, Paris and London are quite mild all year round, but Paris has nicer summers and less rain in winter.

Quality of life: Depends on for whom you mean. For young and wealthy people all three cities offer a great quality of life, for your average middle class family I'd imagine France generally with its welfare state and family-friendly politics would offer the best quality of life, so Paris.

Restaurants/Food - Shopping: With the restaurants I'd go for Paris again, New York and London both have great restaurants and probably more diversity in food than Paris, but the culture around food in Paris is just not comparable. Shopping: No idea, probably New York.

Traffic: Paris has horrible traffic, but London seemed even worse. New York seemed better, but I really don't know New York and London well enough to be able to tell.

Singles Scene: I guess all three of them should be good, but I knew so many young foreign girls coming to France who found ended up staying there because they met a guy (including me for a while ). In France the English are known to have sex very quickly, no idea if it's true, but if you''re into that London would be your pick . I don't like the american single scene with our strict dating rules too much.

Cost of living: Again you'd have to have lived in all 3 cities to be able to compare, but compared to the average income life in Paris didn't seem that expensive to me. You don't have to live in the Marais to partake in Paris cultural life, and apartments in Places in the banlieue proche are not that expensive and often just a short metro or RER ride from the center.

Crime: If you just take the city within city limits Paris is the safest, but if you include the banlieue maybe not (although there still is less violent crime than in Greater London and since it's in America, i'd assume NY too).

Location in the world: I prefer Europe to the US so I'd say either London or Paris and since they're so close to each other there isn't really a difference. Paris has a slight edge because it's not on an island but on the european continent.

Residents: No idea. I found Parisians to be quite friendly and very hot blooded, but fun people, New Yorkers were extremely friendly to me and Londoners were also nice and seemed fun. All three of them I guess .

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM

37 posts, read 148,280 times
I have lived in New York and London, but not paris, so hopefully i can provide a knowledgeable insight.

Weather...Paris edges it, followed by London (mild) and NYC, (crap weather, far to hot, sweaty, humid and uncomfortable in the summer, far too cold in the winter)

Quality of life...There are facts for this...according to mercer, Paris is by far the best HDI, followed by London, and NYC scored particularly badly (I can understand this from living there and seeing 60% of neighbourhoods)

Restaurants/food - Paris wins hands down...London and NYC tie on this one (paris has much more michelin stars)

Traffic - don't drive in any of them...unless you are mad

Single scene...Well, depends how you look at it, nightlife wise - it goes London>NYC>>>>>>>>Paris (In terms of nightlife, paris is far behind London and NYC)

Cost of living - NYC wins this hands down...London is officially the most expensive place on earth to live, 1sq m in central London will set you back 4 times what it would in NYC or Paris
(If you are rich, London is by far the best place to be - much more 'exclusive' activities to do than the other two...if you are poor, London is hell!)

Shopping - London wins this hands down (London just has a much more classier feel and a much bigger variety in shops, the most malls out of the three, and by far, the biggest luxury property/goods market) Dont get me wrong...Paris and NYC are world class to shop in, but they are leagues behind London, Just compare regent street with 5th ave...It makes 5th ave look like an embarrassment.

Opportunities: London>NYC>Paris - (London is financial capital of the world, nuff said, NYC is great, but not as good as London...Paris is lightyears behind.

Crime - Paris wins hands down, followed by London 110 murders/100 000 people...then NYC, which is embarrassing - 630 murders/100 000 people!

City beauty - Paris by far, followed by London (London is very beautiful with varied architecture) ...NYC is ugly concrete sprawl in my opinion.

Location: Paris and London - proximity to europe, incredible culture/beauty...Nyc is isolated, nothing much to see at all compared to europe

Winners:
London>Paris>NYC

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM

37 posts, read 148,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
There's no city in the world like New York baby
Actually, having lived in both cities, I can tell you that unless you were deprived of oxygen at birth...you were clearly biased when writing your response.

You put NYC for pretty much everything, including quality of life? When statistically it is by far the most dangerous

Weather? Ha funny joke, NYCs weather, is the most uncomfortable by far of the 3

Location? Lol, No offense, but america is boring, not like Europe which is right on London/paris' doorstep.

I could go on for ever...Shopping - London
Beauty - Paris
Scenary? NONE, All flat!
food - Paris
opportunities - London (Im sorry that London has been ahead of NYC as the worlds leading financial centre for the past 3 year...NYers dont seem to like that)
Crime? Are you high! Statistically, NYCs murder rate is 6 times higher than London's!

Im not joking...NYC is nothing special at all.
It is filthy, ugly, and the novelty of living there quickly wears off. You realise you are living in a toilet.
Having lived in both, I can honestly say London is 100x better than NYC anyday.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM

20,856 posts, read 22,160,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Page View Post
opportunities - London (Im sorry that London has been ahead of NYC as the worlds leading financial centre for the past 3 year...NYers dont seem to like that)
GDP:

NYC - $1.4 trillion
London - $565 billion

Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM

54 posts, read 105,289 times
^ lmao

clearly that guy is just biased towards London and is furious that NYC is ahead of his city by a mile.

And no, I am not from NYC. But you gotta be lying to yourself if you truly believe that London > NYC.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

20,856 posts, read 22,160,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
^ lmao

clearly that guy is just biased towards London and is furious that NYC is ahead of his city by a mile.

And no, I am not from NYC. But you gotta be lying to yourself if you truly believe that London > NYC.
Also, I don't understand how NYC is "isolated." At least 60 million+ people live within 250 miles of NYC. That's isolated? Well, I guess if someone's from eastern China it is.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

54 posts, read 105,289 times
Yeah very isolated... Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

And a short flight to Miami, North/South Carolina, Atlanta, etc

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM

412 posts, read 882,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Yeah very isolated... Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

And a short flight to Miami, North/South Carolina, Atlanta, etc
I'm fairly uninterested in much of this debate, as I think it's 'horses for courses' for the most part, but it is true that New York, while far from isolated (the US eastern seaboard is one of the world's great hubs, after all), is relatively culturally isolated in comparison to London or Paris. After all, the latter are only 2 hours from each other by train, and the list of places that are easily weekendable from either - Milan, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Istanbul, Moscow, Cairo - make your list, while no doubt comprising some nice places, look rather quaint.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,775,247 times
As a place Id want to live in:
1. New York
2. Paris
3. London
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World