U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 199 34.85%
London 177 31.00%
New York City 195 34.15%
Voters: 571. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM

412 posts, read 883,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I like neither city, but really, London has its own share of filth, it is also a city with very extreme conditions, just like NYC. There is a lot of wealth, and a lot of poverty in both.

And those endless roads of virtually identical red brick homes, typical of so many British cities, are not exactly an expression of class and elegance, either, not to mention the East End.

Just saying as your comments seem overly biased
As an aside, red brick is fairly rare in London - the clay that the city is built on is yellow, and that's what the vast majority of the city's houses are built out of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,975,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Page View Post
I dont understand how I am biased? I have absolutely NO reason to stick up for London and slag off NYC, im literally telling the truth.

Yes London has filth, but my point is - NO where near as Bad as NYC! London has no equivalent to south bronx

While that might be true, that dosen't make the entire city automatically worse. Unless, of course, it's as bad as in L.A., for instance. L.A. is just ghetto.

Regarding the red brick houses? What a stupid thing to say...that is only in the poorer areas, Id take those red brick houses any day over the mess in american poor areas. Plus, I can never understand why you build houses out of wood - looks cheap ands*** to be brutally honest.

Of course the poor areas - such as the east end don't have class - that was a moronic thing to say on your behalf.
The West end is the area with the class - The royal borough of Kensington and chelsea is the most expensive place to live on the planet - it is the fu***** meaning of class.

Yes, you got class.

I really can not put this is more simple english, I have NOOOOOOOOO reason to slag off NYC, Or to be biased at all! As I said, I am half american and I could move back TOMORROW if i really wanted too.

Yeah, you. You are talking about yourself. But many people will disagree with you here. I'll explain below why.

Im just telling the truth - London is just better than NYC - end of argument, I refuse to argue with someone who has probably not even been to London, never mind lived in both.

Well, some people would argue you are making ignorant statements yourself. The cities are too similar to make such a bold statement. You could have said that about NYC and some city in some 3rd world country. But, as I ope you know, the U.K. isn't 3rd world.

I am sick of the ignorant replies on this thread from the 95% of americans that DONT have passports and DONT travel - They dont know up from down on this topic, and based on your response, neither do you.

He's not American.

Based on people's replies, the oxygen must be really thin over there at the moment

He's not in the U.S.
You are both on the same continent.
No reason to get all worked up about this.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM

23,709 posts, read 21,164,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
As an aside, red brick is fairly rare in London - the clay that the city is built on is yellow, and that's what the vast majority of the city's houses are built out of.
I have seen quite a lot of those buildings in London. Houses like these:
london east end - Google Maps

I mean, they are not ugly, but not really classy or original, either. They look like clones of each other.

Even in rich Kensington they have lots of those red-brick buildings:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=london...70.05,,0,-4.62

Last edited by Neuling; 11-17-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I dont understand how I am biased? I have absolutely NO reason to stick up for London and slag off NYC, im literally telling the truth.

Yes London has filth, but my point is - NO where near as Bad as NYC! London has no equivalent to south bronx

Regarding the red brick houses? What a stupid thing to say...that is only in the poorer areas, Id take those red brick houses any day over the mess in american poor areas. Plus, I can never understand why you build houses out of wood - looks cheap and s*** to be brutally honest.

Of course the poor areas - such as the east end don't have class - that was a moronic thing to say on your behalf.
The West end is the area with the class - The royal borough of Kensington and chelsea is the most expensive place to live on the planet - it is the fu***** meaning of class.

I really can not put this is more simple english, I have NOOOOOOOOO reason to slag off NYC, Or to be biased at all! As I said, I am half american and I could move back TOMORROW if i really wanted too.

Im just telling the truth - London is just better than NYC - end of argument, I refuse to argue with someone who has probably not even been to London, never mind lived in both.

I am sick of the ignorant replies on this thread from the 95% of americans that DONT have passports and DONT travel - They dont know up from down on this topic, and based on your response, neither do you.

Based on people's replies, the oxygen must be really thin over there at the moment
Indeed, you epitomize class
Write again in a civilized way if you want a reply...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM

10,478 posts, read 13,602,434 times
I have been to New York once and to London 3 times,
The only thing i like about London better is the Football (soccer), price of alcohol and the women (not that they were prettier than in NYC just easier )

I just like NYC more because everything is within 30 minutes by subway/foot and easier to get around imo.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 AM

37 posts, read 148,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have seen quite a lot of those buildings in London. Houses like these:
london east end - Google Maps

I mean, they are not ugly, but not really classy or original, either. They look like clones of each other.

Even in rich Kensington they have lots of those red-brick buildings:
london kensington - Google Maps
New York has more red brick than London

Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 AM

37 posts, read 148,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I have been to New York once and to London 3 times,
The only thing i like about London better is the Football (soccer), price of alcohol and the women (not that they were prettier than in NYC just easier )

I just like NYC more because everything is within 30 minutes by subway/foot and easier to get around imo.
NYC is great to visit...just not to live...

Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
New York has more red brick than London
Sure, but I am not the one saying one is so much better than the other, or better at all... Both cities have ugly, tasteless areas, and very nice areas.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
NYC is great to visit...just not to live...
Neither city is a great place to live, unless you are single and/or wealthy. For families and normal middle-class people both cities are not recommendable, in many cases simply not affordable.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 AM

281 posts, read 706,054 times
Why do people keep insisting on arguing what city or country is better, when it's ENTIRELY A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World