Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM

410 posts, read 949,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
A buddy of mine who can speak French did a test in Paris where he acted like he couldn't speak French, he asked for directions and stuff like that in English.
a lot of the French people didn't even react or just gave him a ugly face like "learn French before you come here" some even cussed him out in French or just gave him the wrong directions.

English is a global language no matter where I go I never have any problems to communicate, even in Japan!

But most French people are so proud idk what it is but they assume that you speak their language and most of them act like they can't understand English just to f*** with you.

Out of the 50 something people he (tried to) talk to in English only 4 of them could (wanted to) speak English.
I've never met your buddy, but it's worth noting that being objectionable will get you ignored in most countries and languages. I only speak a few words of French, but on odd occasions in Paris when what first promised to be a simple encounter has turned into something requiring more advanced language skills, someone in the vacinity has usually offered to help.

If you tried asking for directions in French in London or NY, I doubt you'd have a vy high success rate either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,576 times
I realize that English is a global language.
But can you really go to a foreign country (where English is not an official or major language spoken) and seriously expect everyone to answer you in English?
If someone from a foreign country came here to the U.S. and started speaking in Mandarin (the language with the most native speakers) how would you help them? Could you even answer them?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
My sister just returned from a trip to Paris and Rome. She said she'll never return to Paris because the people were downright nasty. She didn't buy a thing. I know a Parisian would find that to be a source of derision and laughter. Well, then... Fine.
She went on to Rome, found the people to be delightful and spent a fortune. C'est la vie.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It is mostly because people are busy and don't have the time to answer of the question.

People often forget that Paris is not a tourist ressort but a big city and real city where people work and often have long commute to work.
Most parisians have never set a foot in the Eiffel or the Louvre and almost never go in café and all the stuff you will see in tourist guides.
I lived, worked and grew up in the NYC area. When in Manhattan if someone asked me for directions or anything, I took the time to respond. One time I was running for my train and someone dropped a bag of groceries. I gathered up what I could, raced over to her and put them down with a wave before boarding my train. She looked a little surprised but grateful.

I never set foot in the Statue of Liberty, either.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I realize that English is a global language.
But can you really go to a foreign country (where English is not an official or major language spoken) and seriously expect everyone to answer you in English?
If someone from a foreign country came here to the U.S. and started speaking in Mandarin (the language with the most native speakers) how would you help them? Could you even answer them?
In a Western European country i expect that most people can speak some English yes (or at least try to speak it when the "tourist" can't speak their language)

Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I lived, worked and grew up in the NYC area. When in Manhattan if someone asked me for directions or anything, I took the time to respond. One time I was running for my train and someone dropped a bag of groceries. I gathered up what I could, raced over to her and put them down with a wave before boarding my train. She looked a little surprised but grateful.

I never set foot in the Statue of Liberty, either.
Maybe you but most people would not.
It is also my case, I always take the time toi help people who ask me for a direction or even who you look lost.

Imagine now that you don't have the time to help people and that english is not your native langage.
Even if you can understand it, it is not easy to speak a language that you don't use on daily basic.
In most of Paris, Arabic, African and Asian languages are much more common than English.
In my bus, hearing english is weird and very exotic while Wolof is common.

The londoners didn't help me even when I asked them, one indicate to me the wrong direction when I searched Brick Lane.
I spoke to them in English, the native language of the majority of London population.
It is what I call the big city atitude.

Many people when they visit Paris think of the stereotypes (romance, museum ) they forget that before being the "city of Love" Paris is a metropolis of 12 million inhabitants where the life is quite hard if you earn less than $100k per year.
Paris is not a city of native, it is a city where people move for work.

The Paris of the tourist and the Paris of the inhabitants are two completly different city.

Last edited by Minato ku; 11-21-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
A buddy of mine who can speak French did a test in Paris where he acted like he couldn't speak French, he asked for directions and stuff like that in English.
a lot of the French people didn't even react or just gave him a ugly face like "learn French before you come here" some even cussed him out in French or just gave him the wrong directions.

English is a global language no matter where I go I never have any problems to communicate, even in Japan!

But most French people are so proud idk what it is but they assume that you speak their language and most of them act like they can't understand English just to f*** with you.

Out of the 50 something people he (tried to) talk to in English only 4 of them could (wanted to) speak English.
Terrible for the individual who speaks English, but kind of understandable isn't it? Why does English need to be the lingua franca everywhere? Why does everyone have to have English as the alternative to their native tongues or that of their neighboring countries? It's actually detrimental to us native English speakers because it gives us so little impetus to learn other languages--and the language of other countries is often the gateway to learning about the core and kernel of other countries.

There are more native speakers of Mandarin and Spanish than there are of English with many languages such as Hindu, Arabic, Bengali, Portuguese, Russian, etc. having many native speakers. How is it that we are compelled to expect English proficiency from them when the native English speaking population is a minority in a diverse world?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are more native speakers of Mandarin and Spanish than there are of English
There are more people who have English as their 2nd language than any other language.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
There are more people who have English as their 2nd language than any other language.
True, but if you're counting both number of native and second language speakers, Mandarin Chinese does sometimes come out on top (depending on what source you're looking at). Spanish is a little bit further behind when doing a native plus secondary language speaker counts. However, for all languages, the number of native and second language speakers combined will still be a fraction of the world's population, so I still don't understand why anyone goes to a non-English speaking country and expects people there to respond to questions in English.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
so I still don't understand why anyone goes to a non-English speaking country and expects people there to respond to questions in English.
I'm talking about a West-European metropole / WORLD city not rural China.
If the French in Paris don't want to talk English to tourists they should stop calling themselves a WORLD city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World