Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Yeah very isolated... Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

And a short flight to Miami, North/South Carolina, Atlanta, etc
I would prefer most of those cities to NYC, frankly, let alone to Paris

I like this map on the distribution of the population
http://visualecon.wpengine.netdna-cd...population.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM

27,240 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
I'm fairly uninterested in much of this debate, as I think it's 'horses for courses' for the most part, but it is true that New York, while far from isolated (the US eastern seaboard is one of the world's great hubs, after all), is relatively culturally isolated in comparison to London or Paris. After all, the latter are only 2 hours from each other by train, and the list of places that are easily weekendable from either - Milan, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Istanbul, Moscow, Cairo - make your list, while no doubt comprising some nice places, look rather quaint.
I agree that western Europe has more to offer culturally and historically. Personally, I do prefer it for that reason. However, the eastern U.S. is one of the richest regions in the world. It is also the birthplace of the U.S., with continuous history that goes back to the early 17th century (not including native American history). New York City, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington are all "alpha" category world cities according to the GaWC, which is a U.K.-based organization. And that's just the east coast cities.

I know there are people who dislike the U.S. - just like any other country. And that's understandable. But when people start making factually inaccurate statements, then well they'll be taken to task. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-17-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM

37 posts, read 161,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
GDP:

NYC - $1.4 trillion
London - $565 billion
I am the one with a career and a degree in economics, and GDP has nothing to do with opportunities - According to Forbes, wikipedia, and global financial centres index, London is the financial capital of the world, has been for 3 years, and the gap between London and NYC is widening.

Tokyo has a higher gdp than NYC, Does that make it a better place? No, does that mean more opportunities in Tokyo? No

Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
^ lmao

clearly that guy is just biased towards London and is furious that NYC is ahead of his city by a mile.

And no, I am not from NYC. But you gotta be lying to yourself if you truly believe that London > NYC.
Why the hell would I be biased towards London? I have lived in both cities, I could move back to NYC tomorrow if I wanted to.
Most of my family are NYers you moron.

Quite frankly, I was sick of NYC, the dirt, uncomfortable weather, the constant smell of dumpster, crap boxy architecture and the lack of elegance and class.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Also, I don't understand how NYC is "isolated." At least 60 million+ people live within 250 miles of NYC. That's isolated? Well, I guess if someone's from eastern China it is.
NYC is isolated, from anywhere I would want to go...There is nothing interesting to see out of NYC...London has the rest of Europe, which is far more interesting...But you would not know that, as you have probably never left the USA

Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah very isolated... Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

And a short flight to Miami, North/South Carolina, Atlanta, etc
Hahaha, None of the cities you listed are even close to the beauty, and culture of Eu cities, that London is close to. Im sorry, EU cities are just much nicer than american ones...Why would I want to go to Atlanta? or Chicago? Or any of the cities you listed for that matter, all uninteresting compared to Paris, Brussels, Rome, Berlin etc.

Plus, America has an inferior transport system, I could get a train from London to Paris in 2 hours.

So yes, relative to London and Paris, NYC is isolated. Maybe you should look up the word context in a dictionary.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
^ lmao

clearly that guy is just biased towards London and is furious that NYC is ahead of his city by a mile.

And no, I am not from NYC. But you gotta be lying to yourself if you truly believe that London > NYC.
Plus, What makes your opinion more knowledgeable than mine?
I have lived in both cities, You have not...Therefore, I know what I am talking about, and you are just a biased, patriotic american who cant stand the fact that London is superior to the 'rotten' apple in many ways.
If NYC was more popular than London, why does London double its annual tourism numbers?
London is the most visited city on earth...because it is the best city on earth.

NYC is nothing special at all, hyped by the movies. Even the nightlife in NY is nothing compared to European nightlife...same with LA - the movies give it a name that it does not live up to.
NYC is dirty, much more dangerous than London, and the living conditions in 80% of the city are s***. I lived in the village, but I saw the whole city, South bronx and brownsville brooklyn resemble 3rd world countries.
The whole city is a bit of a s*** hole.

And I noticed in your pathetic and narrow-minded response you said: furious that NYC is better than his city...Guess what genius?

I was living in NYC way before I was living in London idiot. So I could easily count NYC 'my' city.
I was sick of a lot of NYers, who got soooo heated over London rivalling NYC, they took it so seriously - you have no idea how many NYers I have had to explain this too - In London, nobody cares what city is better than what...Londoners have much better things to think (and care) about.

It just appears that some people are either jealous that London is superior to NYC, or they are just incredibly stupid.

At the end of the day, I have lived in New York, and now in London,

and London is better than NYC is most aspects.

You have not lived in London, nor probably never even been, so I really could not care less for your narrow minded pointless and pathetic contribution to the thread...I have lived in both, I know what I am talking about...you know F*** All...

Have a nice day

Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Page View Post
Why the hell would I be biased towards London? I have lived in both cities, I could move back to NYC tomorrow if I wanted to.
Most of my family are NYers you moron.

Quite frankly, I was sick of NYC, the dirt, uncomfortable weather, the constant smell of dumpster, crap boxy architecture and the lack of elegance and class.
I like neither city, but really, London has its own share of filth, it is also a city with very extreme conditions, just like NYC. There is a lot of wealth, and a lot of poverty in both.

And those endless roads of virtually identical red brick homes, typical of so many British cities, are not exactly an expression of class and elegance, either, not to mention the East End.

Just saying as your comments seem overly biased

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM

2,234 posts, read 5,463,356 times
Quote:
GDP:

NYC - $1.4 trillion
London - $565 billion
Wrong numbers. Cities with a higher population will have a higher GDP. Especially when you compare the U.K. and the U.S. because they both have a similar national GDP.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I like neither city, but really, London has its own share of filth, it is also a city with very extreme conditions, just like NYC. There is a lot of wealth, and a lot of poverty in both.

And those endless roads of virtually identical red brick homes, typical of so many British cities, are not exactly an expression of class and elegance, either, not to mention the East End.

Just saying as your comments seem overly biased
I dont understand how I am biased? I have absolutely NO reason to stick up for London and slag off NYC, im literally telling the truth.

Yes London has filth, but my point is - NO where near as Bad as NYC! London has no equivalent to south bronx

Regarding the red brick houses? What a stupid thing to say...that is only in the poorer areas, Id take those red brick houses any day over the mess in american poor areas. Plus, I can never understand why you build houses out of wood - looks cheap and s*** to be brutally honest.

Of course the poor areas - such as the east end don't have class - that was a moronic thing to say on your behalf.
The West end is the area with the class - The royal borough of Kensington and chelsea is the most expensive place to live on the planet - it is the fu***** meaning of class.

I really can not put this is more simple english, I have NOOOOOOOOO reason to slag off NYC, Or to be biased at all! As I said, I am half american and I could move back TOMORROW if i really wanted too.

Im just telling the truth - London is just better than NYC - end of argument, I refuse to argue with someone who has probably not even been to London, never mind lived in both.

I am sick of the ignorant replies on this thread from the 95% of americans that DONT have passports and DONT travel - They dont know up from down on this topic, and based on your response, neither do you.

Based on people's replies, the oxygen must be really thin over there at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World