U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 199 34.91%
London 177 31.05%
New York City 194 34.04%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM

610 posts, read 1,003,835 times

Advertisements

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread.

Criteria:

Weather~

Quality of life~

Traffic~

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~

Career Opportunities~

Scenery~

Cleanliness~

Entertainment/Recreation~

Singles Scene~

Cost of living~

Crime~

Location in the world~

Residents~

Any other comments?

Which do you personally prefer?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM

20,855 posts, read 22,160,450 times
My top 3 favorite cities in the world. It's a pleasure to discuss them.

Weather~ Paris

Quality of life~ NYC and Paris

Traffic~ London

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ NYC

Career Opportunities~ NYC

Scenery~ I'll go with Paris, although the dramatic skyline of NYC is very nice as well. London is up there too.

Cleanliness~ All three are pretty clean in their cores. I will give a slight notch to Paris.

Entertainment/Recreation~ NYC

Singles Scene~ not sure

Cost of living~ Probably NYC, but I'm not sure. I've heard that London and Paris are prohibitively expensive to live in.

Crime~ I guess London

Location in the world~ All three are in very good locations.

Residents~ Paris. I really enjoyed the friendliness of Parisians.

Any other comments?

For museums, art galleries and historic sites, Paris and then London. London has some amazing stretches of historic neighborhoods.

I would live in any (or all) of the three. They are almost neck and neck for me.

But overall, my preference is NYC > Paris > London

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-07-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

728 posts, read 878,604 times
Weather ~ NYC (love the change of seasons)

Quality of Life ~ I'll go with NYC although none are too high ranking in that category imo

Traffic~ Paris (even though the drivers are INSANE!)

Scenery~ Paris

Cleanliness~ London

Singles Scene~ depends, but I'll give the nod to NYC

Cost of living~ NYC, for sure

Crime~ I'm not entirely sure. Never felt unsafe in any of them, but was always aware I guess....?

Location in the world~ London or Paris

Residents~ NYC

Any other comments?

My three favorite cities in the world (along with Tokyo)

I could see myself living in NYC and London ,but not Paris. Just prefer the other two.

So for me NYC > London > Paris

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM

8,024 posts, read 10,688,182 times
Weather~ Paris (marginally better than the other two)

Quality of life~ London (personally I feel my life would be brilliant living there, for my tastes etc)

Traffic~ London (London has a lot of traffic but the other two seem manic in terms of traffic!)

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ All three seem fairly even (couldn't choose)

Career Opportunities~ London (again for me being British it would be easier to find work I guess)

Scenery~ Paris (there all visually stunning cities, but Paris edges it)

Cleanliness~ No idea (they all look fairly clean in their centres)

Entertainment/Recreation~ New York (New York shades it)

Singles Scene~ Don't know (You can meet a girl anywhere!)

Cost of living~ Paris (London is hugely expensive, Paris just seems a little more affordable)

Crime~ Paris (Paris, especially the centre seems safe with crime mostly happening in the suburbs)

Location in the world~ London (biggest airport in the world, not far from Scotland and Ireland and other great cities like Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam)

Residents~ New York/London (they speak my language, can't really choose apart from that!)

Any other comments?

All in all these are the three best cities in the world for me, and I would enjoy living in any of them

If I had to choose I would say London, would LOVE to visit the other two cities but for compatibility to my personal tastes and likes I would say London just shades it for me.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,712,099 times
Weather~ don't know if one is more distinguishable than the others

Quality of life~ NYC, if you can't do it in new york, it doesn't exist

Traffic~ london, has a better rail/cab system

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ NYC, more variety, then Paris for french cuisine, London is more known for high end shopping than fine dining

Career Opportunities~ NYC easily wins this

Scenery~ this is a wash, they all have their strong points

Cleanliness~ this may seem shocking but NYC is probably the cleanest of the three, 15 years ago this wouldn't be true but gentrification has cleaned up NYC a lot. Surprisingly (at least to me) Paris was kind of filthy and so was London.

Entertainment/Recreation~ NYC and it's not close

Singles Scene~ as a man, i'd say NYC then London, then Paris. Contrary to popular belief, Parisian women aren't much into bars, lounges, or clubs. I guess this is a generational question.

Cost of living~ NYC = American dollar, Paris = Euro, London = Pound; NYC wins

Crime~ London (even with the recent riots)

Location in the world~ guess that's a relative question

Residents~ I'm partial to people who speak english so NYC or London

Any other comments? Should've probably added a "more accepting/open to outsiders/visitors" option

Which do you personally prefer? Overall, i'd go with NYC, then London, then Paris. As an American, culturally, I could see myself easily adapting to life in London vs. adapting to life in Paris. Politically and socially, I consider myself a moderate and Paris just seems ultra liberal. I wouldn't want to live in any location that's too heavily focused on one side of the political/social spectrum.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 9,560,601 times
Of these three, I like London the best. It is one of my favorite world cities besides Tokyo. Weather-wise, it reminds me of Seattle which I don't mind. Scenery-wise, all three are actually missing a backdrop of mountains, but do have rivers. All three have architectural beauty. Crime and safety-wise, I'm not so sure. NYC may be one of the safest American cities per capita, but its still an American city so its probably higher than the other two (I believe London's murder rate is still about 1/5 of NYC). Mass transit, I liked London's Tube the best, but all 3 are good.

Now my favorite topic to discuss, the singles scene. London has a lot of hot British girls and I love their accents and the way they dress, but they are notorious for being stuck-up (I noticed when I was there that even the less attractive girls think they are hot). Paris has a lot of hot French girls and I love their language (and the way they dress too, after all it is the fashion capital), and they seem warmer to American guys than the British (at least when I was in Paris 6 years ago, I was younger and better looking then). NYC is said to have a good singles scene, I imagine like "Sex and the City". Actually all 3 of them are international cities so they have a variety. However, I prefer all 3 countries' smaller cities than their large Alpha-cities.

So London has the best QOL imo, but also has the highest COL. I need to make enough £ to live there.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM

37 posts, read 98,201 times
Weather~ Paris! Summers aren't as hot as NY

Quality of life~ London! The British are very respectful and welcoming (most of them)

Traffic~ London! More Public Transportation

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ New York! Huge Variety

Career Opportunities~ New York!

Scenery~ Paris! The French Countryside is Beautiful and the Architecture of Paris Buildings is amazing

Cleanliness~ New York! Now it's probably the cleanest major city in America

Entertainment/Recreation~ New York!

Singles Scene~ 3 Way Tie

Cost of living~ New York!

Crime~ London

Location in the world~ Paris

Residents~ Paris!

Any other comments? Love em all but....

Which do you personally prefer? Paris

Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 AM

610 posts, read 1,003,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My top 3 favorite cities in the world. It's a pleasure to discuss them.

Weather~ Paris

Quality of life~ NYC and Paris

Traffic~ London

Scenery~ I'll go with Paris, although the dramatic skyline of NYC is very nice as well. London is up there too.

Cleanliness~ All three are pretty clean in their cores. I will give a slight notch to Paris.

Singles Scene~ not sure

Cost of living~ Probably NYC, but I'm not sure. I've heard that London and Paris are prohibitively expensive to live in.

Crime~ I guess London

Location in the world~ All three are in very good locations.

Residents~ Paris. I really enjoyed the friendliness of Parisians.

Any other comments?

For museums, art galleries and historic sites, Paris and then London. London has some amazing stretches of historic neighborhoods.

I would live in any (or all) of the three. They are almost neck and neck for me.

But overall, my preference is NYC > Paris > London
Isn't it a shame about the bad reputation the French people get here in the States? I thought that Parisians were even more friendly than Londoners. I did not encounter any of the rudeness or haughtiness so widely portrayed in movies. Glad that you had that experience as well.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM

6,723 posts, read 9,450,580 times
Weather~ New York

Quality of life~ Paris

Traffic~ Paris

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ New York

Career Opportunities~ New York

Scenery~ Paris

Cleanliness~ Paris

Entertainment/Recreation~ New York

Singles Scene~ Paris

Cost of living~ Paris

Crime~ Paris

Location in the world~ Paris

Residents~ Paris

Any other comments? Nope!

Which do you personally prefer? Paris

Believe it or not, I haven't been to London and probably never will (it doesn't attracts me, but who knows, I might visit one day but its highly unlikely). For that reason, London is missing from my responses.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Isn't it a shame about the bad reputation the French people get here in the States? I thought that Parisians were even more friendly than Londoners. I did not encounter any of the rudeness or haughtiness so widely portrayed in movies.
Parisians are probably friendly with foreigners, then... I have never met a real parisian who was friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World