Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Some people in this discussion don't seem to understand that America has a different work ethic than European countries. All this talk about less work hours, more holidays, more vacation days and more dependency on government comes off as sounding unambitious, lazy and even parasitical to most people in the U.S. People who live like that are relegated to the lower rung of society here.

Having big goals and big dreams and working hard to achieve them - THAT's the American way and lifestyle. Who wants to live just an "average" life? Not me.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-19-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Probably hard to understand for an American, especially an American business owner. Workers are not work dogs, possessions, or parts of a machine that must be used until worn out and then thrown away, to be replaced by a new part. Which gets beck to the OP...Americans have less time off, too much work causes stress, which in turn, cause health problems. Not to mention the lack of quality of life, but Americans don't care for that anyway.
Americans are world's leading consumers of medication for stress and anxiety. America also leads the world in heart problems. Those are the benefits.

Link:
Health Buzz: Working Long Hours Could Increase Heart Disease Risk - US News and World Report

When I worked in Germany the law was for 3 weeks. That way an employee can switch jobs without losing vacation time with a new employer. In America, switching jobs means you start with the minimum, most likely 1 week.
The American system is not to benefit the worker.
It's really uncalled for you to be so condescending. I understand perfectly the health benefit of having time off and managing stress. I would agree that more employers need to understand it. Your point seems to be that government needs to dictate what constitutes adequate time off. I'm arguing that under the U.S. system it can be fairly argued that government, particularly the federal government, owns no such role.

And for the record, at this point in my career, every potential employer who's approached me has been willing to offer 3 weeks to move. But I already have 4 weeks, so...........

Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Having big goals and big dreams and working hard to achieve them - THAT's the American way and lifestyle. Who wants to live just an "average" life? Not me.
The beauty of this country is that it's OK to simply want to live an average life. Heck, for those coming from the most underpriviledged parts of society, average is a heck of an improvement. I don't hold it against anyone for wanting to be an average Joe.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some people in this discussion don't seem to understand that America has a different work ethic than European countries. All this talk about less work hours, more holidays, more vacation days and more dependency on government comes off as sounding unambitious, lazy and even parasitical to most people in the U.S. People who live like that are relegated to the lower rung of society here.

I think it is more a matter of what Quality of Life means in the USA vs what it means in many parts of Europe. You won't get the same answers.

I worked for fifty years in the USA before moving to Europe, so the standards of American...and how they have changed over the decades are quite familiar to me. By the current standards of most Americans my life would probably be seen not only as average, but as excrutiatingly boring. For me it is the richest, most satisfying part of my life, and filled with intellectual stimulation.

This was brought home to me this past weekend as I listened to a small group of American college students on the beach. Their conversation consisted of trading anecdotes about what they found so lacking here compared to the U.S. After listening to their catalogue of laments, I felt very, very sorry for them...sitting in the middle of one of Europe's most historic areas, in a gorgeous and largely unpolluted environment and they were concerned about the quality of hamburgers, the automobiles, the lack of a mall, etc.

By my standards they were clearly headed for very average, if not mediocre lives. But that's that the difference in "Quality of Life."

Last edited by kevxu; 09-19-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The beauty of this country is that it's OK to simply want to live an average life. Heck, for those coming from the most underpriviledged parts of society, average is a heck of an improvement. I don't hold it against anyone for wanting to be an average Joe.
I don't think you get it; If I felt you'd understand I'd elaborate....but at the moment I just don't feel the need to

Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Cultural attitudes toward work seem to be changing in the US. Look at rates of childbearing, marriage, home ownership, and other indicators of "adulthood" among Americans under 35, compared to those numbers back in the 80's or previous decades.

A lot of younger Americans watched their own parents strive and strive and work overtime for years, and have chosen to largely reject that approach.

There is no glory in burning yourself out in a company job for bosses so far above you that you and them will likely never even run across one another. They see their parents as "chumps" and "suckers."

This seems to be a generational shift arising from the decline of income mobility in the US. The old formula that "hard work = success" has collapsed, and attitudes are gradually following.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I tend to agree, having come from the bottom of working class...just average as far as material things went was great. More wasn't needed to be happy.

However, that kind of attitude is probably as extinct as the dinosaurs.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
The people, not the system, are what is backwards. That's why you occasionally hear about the American millionaire who drives the 97 Honda Civic... he/she's the one who know's what's up.
A lot of truth in this statement.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I don't think you get it; If I felt you'd understand I'd elaborate....but at the moment I just don't feel the need to
Oh, intelligent one, please enlighten me.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think it is more a matter of what Quality of Life means in the USA vs what it means in many parts of Europe. You won't get the same answers.

I worked for fifty years in the USA before moving to Europe, so the standards of American...and how they have changed over the decades are quite familiar to me. By the current standards of most Americans my life would probably be seen not only as average, but as excrutiatingly boring. For me it is the richest, most satisfying part of my life, and filled with intellectual stimulation.

This was brought home to me this past weekend as I listened to a small group of American college students on the beach. Their conversation consisted of trading anecdotes about what they found so lacking here compared to the U.S. After listening to their catalogue of laments, I felt very, very sorry for them...sitting in the middle of one of Europe's most historic areas, in a gorgeous and largely unpolluted environment and they were concerned about the quality of hamburgers, the automobiles, the lack of a mall, etc.

By my standards they were clearly headed for very average, if not mediocre lives. But that's that the difference in "Quality of Life."
This post pretty much is what I'm talking about, so consider yourself enlightened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World