Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Montreal is one of my favourite cities in the world. I live two hours away and have always wanted to live there!

That said, I still say go with Stockholm. Montreal is certainly different for an American (especially if you stay away from the anglo enclaves) but Stockholm if you can make it work will be an even more enriching experience for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
One thing I like is you can get a quiet smalltown feeling just a block or two from the busiest inner city streets.
Maybe not quite a block or two, but we spent some time in Danderyd, and loved it !!!
500 meters walk/stroll and you *at the water's edge* !

The OP being able to work from home ...
Geesj you could live a bit north, like Angarn, and just be *in the country* (definitively *smalltown*, no ?) !
Just go down 268 and you're back into hustle-bustle !

Learning Swedish ? No problem ! It is very close to English, and there are only a few words,
Americans will never be able to pronounce correctly.

Aw shucks, I am reminiscing again ....

Last edited by irman; 10-03-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

The OP being able to work from home ...
Geesj you could live a bit north, like Angarn, and just be *in the country* (definitively *smalltown*, no ?) !
Just go down 268 and you're back into hustle-bustle !
That is almost my sisters neck of the woods.
I am exaggerating a little about smalltown,but some parts of the city is surprisingly quiet.
Vasastaden is my favourite neighbourhood.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM

20 posts, read 79,143 times
We did plenty of research and decided on moving to Montreal of fallowing reason:

* Montreal has better weather. Warmer summers, more sunshine, more winter daylight. Stockholm has very short daylight in winter, and often cloudy. We couldn't find how much annual snow Stockholm gets, but it has cold winters.

* Montreal housing/rent are much cheaper than Stockholm, as well as cost of everything else.

* 13.5% sales tax in Montreal (0% on grocery food) vs. 25% in Sweden

* Montreal has 1.8 million people vs. Stockholm's 0.8 million. My wife prefer larger city, which also means more shopping availability.

* Learning French is much much more important and needed in the world, than learning Swedish.
Swedish is only spoken by 10 million in 2 countries, while French is spoken worldwide by close to 500 million total, and in 35 countries. It is also third most important language in the U.S.

* I heard that Swedes are cold and don't like foreign people.. not sure if it's true though. Montreal and Canada is very diverse.

* More and better colleges in Canada.

* Montreal is close to major world famous cities with only 5-6 hours drive to NYC, Boston, Toronto. Stockholm is far away from continental Europe, but only 5 hours drive to Oslo, which is not as big and famous as cities mentioned.

* I don't like the road system in Sweden. Road signs are harder to understand, and most people drive manual which nobody virtually does in North America. I did not like the white center lane paint that seperates traffic from opposite side. In North America, Brazil, Norway & Denmark and some other countries it's painted yellow so you know if it's one way or two way road. This is minor, but still important.

* Crime is getting bad and is bad in Stockholm area what we heard.

* Everything in Europe is smaller. Hard for us to adjust. We like big - better

Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20011USA View Post
Me and my wife have both families in Montreal and Stockholm. My job could be done at home so I don't have to worry about that either. Visa or anything like that is not a problem either. We have no kids and are white Americans. We've been to both cities twice. Cousins from both cities tells us to move where they live, so we can't decide! And we will live there for at least 20 years.

Now the problem is that we don't know where to live in. Both cities seems great, but Montreal is closer to our home in Maryland. However, we don't care about that. We don't speak French or Swedish, but we don't mind taking classes and learning it, but both cities speak English very good thank God.

Please help us decide!! Where should we move? Where would you move if you had the option? Pros and cons of both?

Thanks for advice!!
White americans.... since being white in the U.S. means having ancestry from North Africa, Middle East, or Europe, you should be more specific.

Do you look like Adam Sandler or Brad Pitt? Megan Fox or Nicole Kidman?

If your skin and facial features look like the one of Adam Sandler or Megan Fox just move to Canada. In Europe many "white" Americans are not considered "European" blooded (because they are not European blooded yet considered "white" in the U.S. by u.S. census standards and society)

I wouldn't move to Scandinavian Europe unless I look like Kate Winslet, Daniel Craig, or Brad Pitt (blonde, blue eyed, and pale), and I think even Brad Pitt would look a little bit tanned in Scandinavian Europe.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
We did plenty of research and decided on moving to Montreal of fallowing reason:

* Montreal has better weather. Warmer summers, more sunshine, more winter daylight. Stockholm has very short daylight in winter, and often cloudy. We couldn't find how much annual snow Stockholm gets, but it has cold winters.

* Montreal housing/rent are much cheaper than Stockholm, as well as cost of everything else.

* Montreal has 1.8 million people vs. Stockholm's 0.8 million. My wife prefer larger city, which also means more shopping availability.

* Learning French is much much more important and needed in the world, than learning Swedish.
Swedish is only spoken by 10 million in 2 countries, while French is spoken worldwide by close to 500 million total, and in 35 countries. It is also third most important language in the U.S.

* I heard that Swedes are cold and don't like foreign people.. not sure if it's true though. Montreal and Canada is very diverse.

* Montreal is close to major world famous cities with only 5-6 hours drive to NYC, Boston, Toronto. Stockholm is far away from continental Europe, but only 5 hours drive to Oslo, which is not as big and famous as cities mentioned.

* I don't like the road system in Sweden. Road signs are harder to understand, and most people drive manual which nobody virtually does in North America. I did not like the white center lane paint that seperates traffic from opposite side. In North America, Brazil, Norway & Denmark and some other countries it's painted yellow so you know if it's one way or two way road. This is minor, but still important.

So you decided on the country you are going to move to based on a two-day discussion on City Data?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM

20 posts, read 79,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you decided on the country you are going to move to based on a two-day discussion on City Data?
Well most people on City Data don't know anything about those two cities, so we decided to do research on both cities and countries very well and decided to go with La Belle Province

Tell us why we shouldn't move to Montreal instead of Stockholm then?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well most people on City Data don't know anything about those two cities, so we decided to do research on both cities and countries very well and decided to go with La Belle Province

Tell us why we shouldn't move to Montreal instead of Stockholm then?
Gotcha.

There's nothing wrong with moving to either city, in my opinion. And I've been to both of them personally.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:

* Stockholm city has 800000 citizens,the metropolitan area has close to two millions.
* It is not true that swedes don't like foreigners,it just takes a while to get to know us.
* Stockholm has citizens from all over the world,so there is plenty of diversity.
* It takes only a couple of hours to fly to London,Berlin and Paris. It can't be much closer.
* Crime isn't bad if you compare with any major american city.
This is Montreal in december:

Not even Stockholm is that bad.
And it is not as cold as some want you to believe.
Remember that Stockholm is affected by the golf stream.

Last edited by BigSwede; 10-04-2011 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Adding facts.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Yeah we get a couple of blizzards every winter and cherry picking a pic right after one does give an embellished view of the city but with 3000 pieces of snow removal equipment i'll bet that road was cleared within 2 days.
I've never been to Sweden so i can only speak for Montreal and say its a very convenient location as you can jump in your car and have all of N.America at your doorstep. so i guess it comes down to whether you like living in N.America or Europe.I think Montreal is a great place to live.Plenty of restaurants ,nightlife and events going on all year,and a very vibrant city 24/7 as people actually live there as opposed to many American cities where no one lives in the downtown area and as a result after business hours the cities turn into ghost towns..

Heres a few pages of the flavor of Montreal and a bit of surrounding area.
http://www.lovelettertomontreal.com/

Last edited by jambo101; 10-04-2011 at 02:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World