Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
* Stockholm city has 800000 citizens,the metropolitan area has close to two millions.
* It is not true that swedes don't like foreigners,it just takes a while to get to know us.
* Stockholm has citizens from all over the world,so there is plenty of diversity.
* It takes only a couple of hours to fly to London,Berlin and Paris. It can't be much closer.
* Crime isn't bad if you compare with any major american city.
This is Montreal in december:

Not even Stockholm is that bad.
And it is not as cold as some want you to believe.
Remember that Stockholm is affected by the golf stream.
This is not really a typical view of Montreal in December. Although Stockholm winters are milder than those in Montreal it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20011USA View Post
We did plenty of research and decided on moving to Montreal of fallowing reason:

* Montreal has better weather. Warmer summers, more sunshine, more winter daylight. Stockholm has very short daylight in winter, and often cloudy. We couldn't find how much annual snow Stockholm gets, but it has cold winters.

* Montreal housing/rent are much cheaper than Stockholm, as well as cost of everything else.

* 13.5% sales tax in Montreal (0% on grocery food) vs. 25% in Sweden

* Montreal has 1.8 million people vs. Stockholm's 0.8 million. My wife prefer larger city, which also means more shopping availability.

* Learning French is much much more important and needed in the world, than learning Swedish.
Swedish is only spoken by 10 million in 2 countries, while French is spoken worldwide by close to 500 million total, and in 35 countries. It is also third most important language in the U.S.

* I heard that Swedes are cold and don't like foreign people.. not sure if it's true though. Montreal and Canada is very diverse.

* More and better colleges in Canada.

* Montreal is close to major world famous cities with only 5-6 hours drive to NYC, Boston, Toronto. Stockholm is far away from continental Europe, but only 5 hours drive to Oslo, which is not as big and famous as cities mentioned.

* I don't like the road system in Sweden. Road signs are harder to understand, and most people drive manual which nobody virtually does in North America. I did not like the white center lane paint that seperates traffic from opposite side. In North America, Brazil, Norway & Denmark and some other countries it's painted yellow so you know if it's one way or two way road. This is minor, but still important.

* Crime is getting bad and is bad in Stockholm area what we heard.

* Everything in Europe is smaller. Hard for us to adjust. We like big - better
Stockholm is close to London and Paris. Last time I checked, Boston is not a world famous city by any means.

Learning French is not really that important either, and learning Swedish is much easier.

Wages are much higher in Sweden than in Canada to accompany the higher cost of living.

Stockholm is diverse, Sweden's population is around 20% foreign born. Also aren't French, from Quebec or France, rather hostile to non-French?

What do you mean by everything is smaller in Europe? A lot of things in Europe are smaller such as the environment-killing cars and concrete highways which tear through cities which appear so common in North America..

And Stockholm is warmer in winter than Montreal by a good few degrees, summers are pleasantly warm and sunny and not as humid or oppressive as Montreal.

Stockholm has to be one of the safest capitals on earth. You're very unlikely to encounter the level of deprivation and decaying suburbs that you are in North America.

Well either way, good luck with your move to Montreal.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM

11 posts, read 25,920 times
I live in Kista, a suburb north of Stockholm.

I've been to Montreal over 10 times because of my grandparents and many cousins living there. I've been there in every season.

Montreals winters are slightly colder than Stockholms, but snowfall is overall the same. Stockholm gets lots of snow too, and more frequent. Remember that daylight is very short (dark before 3 pm) and depressing here, while Montreals winters were cold, but often bright sunshine. In Downtown Montreal areas, snow disappear quickly from the street due to many snowtrucks, so that picture BigSwede posted is same day of a blizzard.

Summers in Montreal are far more warmer, as well as humid. In Sweden, we only have few weeks of real "sunny & warm weather", then back to cool and rainy days. In Montreal, you will need A/C almost all the time. Average July high in Montreal is 27 C/80 F vs. Stockholm's 22 C/72 F.. still big difference!
Montreal gets slightly over 2000 hours of sunshine yearly vs. Stockholm's 1800.

Last year, it snowed a lot in Stockholm in November and December, while Montreals first snowfall was in mid-December !

Other than climate, you should definetely move to Montreal and Canada than living in Sweden.
Sweden's only good thing is the working benefits, other than that it's boring and nothing to do.
All immigrants complain about the weather too. I really loved Montreal and want to move there one day. People are nicer, beautiful architecture, more religious people, more enterteiment, better weather, closer to major world cities by drive, bigger housing, cheaper, lower taxes, exciting and fun!

By the way you should google about the "jantelagen" in Sweden, that's why many wealthy Swedes move out from the country...

Thanks for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Stockholm is close to London and Paris. Last time I checked, Boston is not a world famous city by any means.

Boston is not as famous and big as Paris and London, but is overall same size as Stockholm. Stockholm is close to Paris and London by plane, but very very far away by drive. In Montreal, you could drive to Toronto, NYC, Boston, Philly in less than 6 hours.

Learning French is not really that important either, and learning Swedish is much easier.

Svenska is spoken by less than 10 million people. French is spoken by hundreds of millions of people throughout the world. Swedish is not even an UN language. Yes, Swedish is easier to learn than French because it's Germanic language, but French is far more useful and more beautiful.

Wages are much higher in Sweden than in Canada to accompany the higher cost of living.

Not sure about that. I pay extremely high taxes to support the low income people.

Stockholm is diverse, Sweden's population is around 20% foreign born. Also aren't French, from Quebec or France, rather hostile to non-French?

Not in Quebec. Canada in general is very diverse like America.
Here in Sweden, most immigrants are from the Middle East and Somalia.

What do you mean by everything is smaller in Europe? A lot of things in Europe are smaller such as the environment-killing cars and concrete highways which tear through cities which appear so common in North America..

It's true, everything is smaller here. Anything from food portions, to houses, apartments etc.

And Stockholm is warmer in winter than Montreal by a good few degrees, summers are pleasantly warm and sunny and not as humid or oppressive as Montreal.

Slightly warmer, but also more damp, cloudy, dark and depressing. I wish our summers were warm and sunny all the time other than 2-3 weeks only.

Stockholm has to be one of the safest capitals on earth. You're very unlikely to encounter the level of deprivation and decaying suburbs that you are in North America.

It used to be, not anymore. Watch Efterlyst and see whats happenening everyday in Stockholm.

Well either way, good luck with your move to Montreal.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Boston may not be in the same league as Paris and London, but it is still a pretty well-known city (Harvard, American Revolution, etc.) globally. It's also a lot bigger than Stockholm and even quite a bit larger than Montreal.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kista View Post
.Stockholm is close to Paris and London by plane, but very very far away by drive. In Montreal, you could drive to Toronto, NYC, Boston, Philly in less than 6 hours.
True. For most people, airplane access via commercial flights is not the same as automobile (or land transport) access, and is not viewed as being as "easy". A one-hour flight is about the same as a three or four hour drive, if we are being realistic.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Boston may not be in the same league as Paris and London, but it is still a pretty well-known city (Harvard, American Revolution, etc.) globally. It's also a lot bigger than Stockholm and even quite a bit larger than Montreal.
Citywise-population, Boston is the smallest of all three.
Metropolitan-wise, Boston is largest.

Montreal is overall largest both city population, size and density

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Hm.. I track the weather in Stockholm a lot, and it always seems to be much warmer than here, especially the past two summers with temperatures approaching 30C a lot more often.

And compared to London, Paris, New York etc Stockholm is very clean and safe, it's not at all dangerous..

And yes a lot of things are smaller in Europe but I find that much better, less dependent on cars to get everywhere. In terms of food, well, the smaller portions are always better, why do you think North America is becoming so obese?

And indeed Stockholm is further away from London than Montreal is to Boston, but I don't know why anyone would rather drive 6 hours to Boston then a quick plane trip to London.

You're entitled to an opinion Kista, but I find Stockholm a much more pleasant place to live than any city in North America by a million miles. And a lot more attractive too. With much more culture. And history.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kista View Post
Citywise-population, Boston is the smallest of all three.
Metropolitan-wise, Boston is largest.

Montreal is overall largest both city population, size and density
Metropolitan populations are all that really count to be quite honest. Consider that the true City of London, UK has a population of under 10,000...

Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

And indeed Stockholm is further away from London than Montreal is to Boston, but I don't know why anyone would rather drive 6 hours to Boston then a quick plane trip to London.
I don't know why we got sidetracked on Boston... it's not as if it is the only big city within driving distance of Montreal.

Anyway, Montreal is also not that far away a drive from that place with the big statue holding a torch that's at least as interesting as Paris and London are... You know which city I am talking about, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World