Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM

27,563 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kista View Post
By the way you should google about the "jantelagen" in Sweden, that's why many wealthy Swedes move out from the country...
Wow, there's so much to know about the world. lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You're entitled to an opinion Kista, but I find Stockholm a much more pleasant place to live than any city in North America by a million miles. And a lot more attractive too. With much more culture. And history.
You are also entitled to your opinion but it's not really a cut-and-dried debate (Miami is warmer than Helsinki) like you are making it out to be. North America is a very big continent and has lots of cities, and from your last comments it just seems like you might have an anti-North American attitude about everything and that that colours your opinions.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
It appears Kista is the type of person who self-loathes about her country all the time. I thought that was only Brits who did this.. but I guess not.. I guess everyone is really depressed nowadays.]]

I googled jantelagen too.. it seems to be a Scandinavian thing.. not limited to Sweden.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM

27,563 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20011USA View Post
We did plenty of research and decided on moving to Montreal of fallowing reason:

* Montreal has better weather. Warmer summers, more sunshine, more winter daylight. Stockholm has very short daylight in winter, and often cloudy. We couldn't find how much annual snow Stockholm gets, but it has cold winters.

* Montreal housing/rent are much cheaper than Stockholm, as well as cost of everything else.

* 13.5% sales tax in Montreal (0% on grocery food) vs. 25% in Sweden

* Montreal has 1.8 million people vs. Stockholm's 0.8 million. My wife prefer larger city, which also means more shopping availability.

* Learning French is much much more important and needed in the world, than learning Swedish.
Swedish is only spoken by 10 million in 2 countries, while French is spoken worldwide by close to 500 million total, and in 35 countries. It is also third most important language in the U.S.

* I heard that Swedes are cold and don't like foreign people.. not sure if it's true though. Montreal and Canada is very diverse.

* More and better colleges in Canada.

* Montreal is close to major world famous cities with only 5-6 hours drive to NYC, Boston, Toronto. Stockholm is far away from continental Europe, but only 5 hours drive to Oslo, which is not as big and famous as cities mentioned.

* I don't like the road system in Sweden. Road signs are harder to understand, and most people drive manual which nobody virtually does in North America. I did not like the white center lane paint that seperates traffic from opposite side. In North America, Brazil, Norway & Denmark and some other countries it's painted yellow so you know if it's one way or two way road. This is minor, but still important.

* Crime is getting bad and is bad in Stockholm area what we heard.

* Everything in Europe is smaller. Hard for us to adjust. We like big - better
Given the kinds of things you prefer to have in a place, I'm wondering why are you leaving the east coast of the U.S.?

Cities like New York City, Washington D.C. and Boston are all considerably larger than either Montreal or Stockholm. And you'll find many of the top-ranking universities in the world in the northeast U.S. as well.

I guess you have to weigh all the factors. And living near your cousins is a big thing.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-04-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
I must say that I have never encountered the jantelag....

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I must say that I have never encountered the jantelag....
Nothing Personal !!!
But it goes like this.

Assume there IS a thing, like *Jantelag*.
Because you are inside that system,
you do not realise it, until somebody form the outside,
looks into your enclave, and then says,
*Dang, Another Example of Jantelag*.

In a slight different explanation, kind of gross actually ..,
you go to the bath room, you do your business, and you get out.
The next guy says: *Dang, you stink !!*
All you can say/think is : *Huh what ??? *

NOTE:
This is how things work, but that does NOT mean I support the Idea of *Jantelag*.
From what I have read, written by some self prolaimed experts,
I have neither seen, nor encountered that phenomenon, doing business in Sweden !!!
But then ... maybe I am/was living in a Jantelag environment myself ...

Really funny, that my spell checker says Jantelag, should be spelled as Tarantella.
(Hah ... Tarantella = Fast and upbeat music, not really Jantelag!)

So ... , if you now start *flaming* all over me, then I would say Who the heck you think you are ??
See ..???.. I am living in a Jantelag environment, or maybe my brain is just all goofed up ! Hmmm ... Too much putti panna I guess ...

Think off it, and be honest to yourself !! NO need to be honest with me.
Each time you *think* somebody else is wrong, and you are ready to *correct* him/her, where do you fit in that Jantelag environment ??

Oh dear ... , see what you Swedish Hunks are doing or have done to the world ???

Last but not least, I apologise for going off topic ...
Oops, *apologise*, that is NOT Jantelag, or ????
Hmmmm... , now maybe I want to move to Montreal also !
Hopefully no Jantelag there !!!
Do not tell me to hold my breath, since that is an unwise thing to do !

Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM

People on this forum do talk a load of rubbish.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM

221 posts, read 656,414 times
I think Montreal is more exiting though ive never been there. It's just a bigger city and it just seems "cooler" to me.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Well the poster has made his mind up so I guess this thread is now irrelevant.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 38,881 times
I studied in Quebec City (2.5 hrs from Montreal) for 4 years and now moved back to Norway due to family.
I visited Montreal every weekend and really love the city. I've been to Stockholm many times.

Everything is cheaper in Montreal than in Stockholm. Montreal has better weather because summers are warmer and similar to those in France and warmer than all of western and northern Europe.
Quebec City was few degrees cooler, but we still needed air condation most of the summer, but Montreal was frequently above 30 Celsius. Winter was cold, not not as much snow on the streets, but parks were snow packed with lots of winter sunshine... but there is also rain and snow free periods too, like in Stockholm. Stockholm get lots of snow too and very cold most of the time.

Stockholm is a beautiful city, but only to visit. Remember winters are depressing in Scandinavia due to lack of sunshine and daylight. Summers are comfortable nice unless it rained.

Montrealers are beautiful, dressed up and diverse with people from all over the world, but mainly Europeans. Stockholms diversity is mainly Middle Easterns, etnic Swedes and lots of Finns.
Houses are bigger in Canada, and much less tax.

To be honest, I move to Montreal and back to Canada anytime! A big plus is that USA is only less than an hour away.

Regards to the jantelagen in Scandinavian country.. I say it's true if you move out of Scandinavia. Scandinavians hate wealthy people and there is lot of jealosly here which I think is sad. Everyone is equal here, and if you drive nice car people are against it and think you're stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World