Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 38,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I must say that I have never encountered the jantelag....
Have you lived outside of Sweden? You live in and with jantelag, that is why you never encounter them. "LAGOM" remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk_Gutte View Post
I studied in Quebec City (2.5 hrs from Montreal) for 4 years and now moved back to Norway due to family.
I visited Montreal every weekend and really love the city. I've been to Stockholm many times.

Everything is cheaper in Montreal than in Stockholm. Montreal has better weather because summers are warmer and similar to those in France and warmer than all of western and northern Europe.
Quebec City was few degrees cooler, but we still needed air condation most of the summer, but Montreal was frequently above 30 Celsius. Winter was cold, not not as much snow on the streets, but parks were snow packed with lots of winter sunshine... but there is also rain and snow free periods too, like in Stockholm. Stockholm get lots of snow too and very cold most of the time.

Stockholm is a beautiful city, but only to visit. Remember winters are depressing in Scandinavia due to lack of sunshine and daylight. Summers are comfortable nice unless it rained.

Montrealers are beautiful, dressed up and diverse with people from all over the world, but mainly Europeans. Stockholms diversity is mainly Middle Easterns, etnic Swedes and lots of Finns.
Houses are bigger in Canada, and much less tax.

To be honest, I move to Montreal and back to Canada anytime! A big plus is that USA is only less than an hour away.

Regards to the jantelagen in Scandinavian country.. I say it's true if you move out of Scandinavia. Scandinavians hate wealthy people and there is lot of jealosly here which I think is sad. Everyone is equal here, and if you drive nice car people are against it and think you're stupid.
What? Norway, the wealthiest country in Europe. How can people hate wealthy people in Norway when most people there are very wealthy already? And I know, not everyone is wealthy in Norway, my friend tells me how there are many homeless in Bergen etc.

And is there a problem with Middle Eastern people, or Finns? It's diversity, there's lots of languages and different foods in Stockholm, there are also many Brits and Americans in Stockholm too.

Also I believe countries where most people are equal is better. Obviously most people earn their wealth but in many countries such as here in the UK and the US and France inequality is very high between the very rich and very poor, it is not good. Anyway I doubt everyone in Scandinavia hates people just because they are wealthier then they are, that's very stupid I have to say and a big generalisation.

And yes housing is generally smaller in Europe, there's a hot of historical factors to that too and the fact most European countries are much smaller and even in places like Sweden and Norway 70% of the population live in one small area of the country.

Anyway, I love Sweden, I love Norway, I love Finland, I love Denmark, they are the countries many in the world idolise and dream to be, they are some of the worlds most prosperous and democratic and free and equal countries with the highest life expectancies and greatest health and education. I'd immigrate there in a heartbeat over anywhere in North America, regardless of house or weather.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 38,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What? Norway, the wealthiest country in Europe. How can people hate wealthy people in Norway when most people there are very wealthy already? And I know, not everyone is wealthy in Norway, my friend tells me how there are many homeless in Bergen etc.

And is there a problem with Middle Eastern people, or Finns? It's diversity, there's lots of languages and different foods in Stockholm, there are also many Brits and Americans in Stockholm too.

Also I believe countries where most people are equal is better. Obviously most people earn their wealth but in many countries such as here in the UK and the US and France inequality is very high between the very rich and very poor, it is not good. Anyway I doubt everyone in Scandinavia hates people just because they are wealthier then they are, that's very stupid I have to say and a big generalisation.

And yes housing is generally smaller in Europe, there's a hot of historical factors to that too and the fact most European countries are much smaller and even in places like Sweden and Norway 70% of the population live in one small area of the country.

Anyway, I love Sweden, I love Norway, I love Finland, I love Denmark, they are the countries many in the world idolise and dream to be, they are some of the worlds most prosperous and democratic and free and equal countries with the highest life expectancies and greatest health and education. I'd immigrate there in a heartbeat over anywhere in North America, regardless of house or weather.
Norway is a wealthy country, thanks to the oil (one reason).
However, not everyone is wealthy here... nearly all Norwegians are middle class people.

You don't live in Scandinavian countries and you don't speak Swedish, Norwegian or Danish either or watch their media, tv and news - so you don't know anything about the jantelagen.

Many wealthy and famous Scandinavians leave their countries, and I can't wait to leave it here anyway. I see Norway as uninteresting, cold and gloomy country, despite the good economy.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,357,436 times
It's not true that everybody hates wealthy people.
What people doesn't like is rich people behaving like idiots just because they are rich.
I think most of us think it is ok to own a nice house, a car, a boat, clothes,jewellry and what ever, but an idiot will always be an idiot.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,342 times
Hopefully not too much of a bump here. While I've never lived in Stockholm I've been there more times than I could count, so I'd like to share my thoughts. I will say though that the one thing that will keep me away from Sweden is the weather. Lovely country but only for six months a year.

City size is one of those weird things. You can measure metro area, city limits and so on till the end of time but Stockholm still FEELS like a big city. I the effective city area until the burbs take over is much larger than American counterparts. There's a lot more dense living going on and if you're the kind of person who thinks the best kind of home is an inner-city apartment you'd be spoilt for (epensive) choice here. In any case it means the city is a place were people live, not just a destination.

Secondly, the subway is great. Goes anywhere and is no more unsafe than the area you're in. Which brings us onto safety. People from Stockholm will tell you about areas that are hell on earth to them, but they're partly seeing this from very much their own perspective. Yeah there's areas which aren't all that fun but they're so far out in the suburbs you'd have to look for them. The inner city, for the most part, feels about as safe as Disneyland. Now it's still a major city so of course you can't act like a complete moron at odd o'clock in the night, but it's SWEDEN for christ's sake.

And Swedes aren't cold or unpleasant (now Finnish people, that's another story). People in Stockholm may run at a slightly higher pace than the rest of the country and viewed by some suspicion by the hicks, but for me it's a non-issue. Probably part of being the only major city in the country. Still, it doesn't hold a candle to Gothenburg when it comes to being warm and open I suppose.

By car it's far to anything interesting but by air you can be anywhere in Europe in no time. And for me personally, that area has way more diversity to show than Cananda/New England. Both are great areas with some fantastic cities, but I'd never choose anything on the American continent because it was "close" to something else. Europe is just on a much tighter scale.

Oh, and depending on what job you have (say being a writer or whatever) you wouldn't even have to learn Swedish. People in the city couldn't care less.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM

311 posts, read 606,153 times
Montreal by far

Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,963,791 times
Both are fantastic cities, but I'd pick Stockholm since it's just a much bigger change from what you're used to in Maryland. I mean, if you're going to leave the country, you might as well go to the one that will give you the most unique experience. And as different as Quebec is from America, it's also incredibly similar. Regardless, I think you'll love whichever place you end up choosing so there is definitely no wrong decision here.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Montreal by far
Basically North America and not Europe, all the time. Right?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,931,377 times
Montreal and Stockholm both have plenty to offer and a high quality of life.

I would choose Stockholm just because I would like living in Europe or Asia soon and already experienced plenty of North America.

I enjoy some familiarity but I also want more of an exotic adventure for at least some of my life.

Montreal does have noticeable differences from the rest of North America but simultaneously still has plenty of similarities.

Stockholm may be smaller than Montreal based on city population size (800,000 people vs. 1.6 million) but Stockholm is still big enough of a city with plenty to see there with a good amount of entertainment options.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM

142 posts, read 443,136 times
It amuses me that climate could be a considerable factor for some people when choosing to live in either Stockholm or Montreal as it's dreadful in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World