Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

314 posts, read 817,345 times

Advertisements

I am an American and I admire Brazilians, they are so warm and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
...What are countries/people you admire or respect?
At the end of the day, it is the Brazilians. It has nothing to do with their country's history, but solely to do with the people themselves.

I knew many Brazilians in NYC, and have known, been acquainted with or dealt with many in Europe. It doubtless amounts to many hundreds of people, perhaps more. And I have found them to be very, very friendly and outgoing, very courteous, and extremely warm people...and mercifully free of chest-thumping nationalism. They seem to wear themselves and life with rare ease and grace.

In my opinion, their culture must have something special abou it that the rest of the people of the world could well benefit from.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 AM

63 posts, read 119,862 times
Yes, I'm familiar with Les Banlieue, Clichy sous bois, etc.
However don't you think the UK and every other developed country has areas like that?
Areas in Northern England are littered with depressed and run down towns full of burnt out houses and poverty (Middlesbrough, Burnley, Bradford, Blackburn, Oldham, Rochdale etc.)
Everywhere is the same in this respect.

I don't think you can argue that France has a better climate and more attractive towns and cities though. Most UK big cities are as ugly as crap!
Visit Birmingham, the UK's 2nd largest and Europes ugliest city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ seacreature99 : I see you didn't visit the ethnic ghettoes like Clichy st denis la courneuve or the hub of poverty that are the deep rural departements like Creuse or Corrèze. Your admiration for France confines to the childish. Didn't you see the urban decay in some cities ? the punks with German shepherds crapping on the sidewalks and begging agressively? seems you have rose tainted glasses, if you read French , try this (testimonies of French citizens, not tourists) :
Digne-Les-Bains (04000)

I admire only the populations that built their countries -usually former colonies- beating the odds of an hostile natural and / or human environment, or which are , because of their extreme climate or size, a challenge for pioneers :
- the USA
- CND
- Australia
- South Africa
- Israel
- Russia

Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I don't think you can argue that France has a better climate

Northern (and even central France in winter) has exactly the same grey, depressing climate as Britain. Only the deep south is better.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Vietnam/Vietnamese

Old 10-13-2011, 04:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I admire people, not countries. Every country has great, hard-working, conscientious people who have a heart for their countrymen and women and others, and every country has people who are a drain or a stain on their nation. I say that because while I do admire the achievements of great nations throughout history, every nation has a history of violence (which is just part of being human) and often these great achievements came at a great price to liberty or the cost in human lives. I'm not sure if I can say I wholeheartedly admire America's economic success because it did come at a price, but I do sort of admire it. I'm ashamed of alot of parts of my own country's history, but I'm proud of aspects of our national character.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
South Korea is an amazing comeback story imo.
Nestled between China and Japan having dealt with annexation, devastating wars and a completely Looney regime to its north, It went from one of the poorest nations in the world to an economic global power house in a span of 50 years. Koreans are also extremely hard workers, and for the most part I find very hospitable and friendly.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
Nobody.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,871 times
I also admire South Korea. It's so wired and looks really cool. I watch KBS on my mother's satellite system when I visit her--she really likes their soap operas. Additionally, in high school and during early adulthood (20+ years and many moves ago) I actually had a couple of friends who were from there. It seems like it has made a lot of progress in even that amount of time. I hope to visit someday.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 PM

276 posts, read 774,276 times
Colombia and Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World