Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Besides houses and cars are one thing, there are many day to day items that one needs to buy.. I'm not sure how it is in Australia - it seems many have said it is very expensive..
A lot of those comparison are exchange rate driven, not only in term of consumer costs but also in term of salaries that people earn. The AUD has been at record highs against the Euro, USD and Sterling and others in recent years, but is now trending back to more a more "normal" range. So Australia was a high cost, high salary country and Sydney was more expensive than London or NYC because of exchange rates. Now most indicators have it significantly cheaper than either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
A lot of those comparison are exchange rate driven, not only in term of consumer costs but also in term of salaries that people earn. The AUD has been at record highs against the Euro, USD and Sterling and others in recent years, but is now trending back to more a more "normal" range. So Australia was a high cost, high salary country and Sydney was more expensive than London or NYC because of exchange rates. Now most indicators have it significantly cheaper than either.
Fair enough and I think you'd find a similar story with the CAD so alas we still need to sort out the COL between Australia and Canada. The general consensus seems to be that Canada is generally cheaper.. On the flip - the minimum wage and average wage is higher in Australia so that would blunt some of the blow in terms of higher prices... In the end, I think when taking into account PPP standard of living is about the same... Sure its cheaper for a can of coke in Toronto than Sydney - but you make a bit more in Sydney..

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times
Quote:
If you simply travel to Australia and then travel to Canada, it is obvious that Canadians own bigger homes, have newer cars, better computers, and so on. They are simply a richer group of people than Australians, while Australia is a more peripheral country. Whether you want to call that a "higher quality of life" is a matter of opinion and entirely depends on what you factor in to determine "QOL". In terms of owning more stuff, newer stuff, and the most up to date stuff, Canadians trump Australians.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:00 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Fair enough and I think you'd find a similar story with the CAD so alas we still need to sort out the COL between Australia and Canada. The general consensus seems to be that Canada is generally cheaper.. On the flip - the minimum wage and average wage is higher in Australia so that would blunt some of the blow in terms of higher prices... In the end, I think when taking into account PPP standard of living is about the same... Sure its cheaper for a can of coke in Toronto than Sydney - but you make a bit more in Sydney..
I think that's essentially correct. I suspect most of differences in consumer behaviour between the the countries are not due to economics. Stats like these certainly seem more cultural than economic:

The 15 Countries With the Highest Smartphone Pentration

Old 11-29-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I think that's essentially correct. I suspect most of differences in consumer behaviour between the the countries are not due to economics. Stats like these certainly seem more cultural than economic:

The 15 Countries With the Highest Smartphone Pentration
Well since you must post this link that shows Australia has a higher Smartphone penetration than Canada I must counter with this :P

List of countries by number of Internet users - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada has a higher penetration of internet users lol... I know I know - its colder here so we need to find something to do during the winter..

Old 11-30-2014, 04:56 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

Cost of Living: Australia. Australia is hands down much more expensive than Canada.

A brief comparison of Sydney and Toronto, and Brisbane and Montreal on Numbeo.com:

Consumer Prices in Toronto are 21.40% lower than in Sydney
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Toronto are 26.89% lower than in Sydney
Rent Prices in Toronto are 35.31% lower than in Sydney
Restaurant Prices in Toronto are 14.93% lower than in Sydney
Groceries Prices in Toronto are 17.36% lower than in Sydney

Consumer Prices in Montreal are 20.99% lower than in Brisbane
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Montreal are 28.41% lower than in Brisbane
Rent Prices in Montreal are 44.15% lower than in Brisbane
Restaurant Prices in Montreal are 21.58% lower than in Brisbane
Groceries Prices in Montreal are 9.69% lower than in Brisbane
Local Purchasing Power in Montreal is 8.00% higher than in Brisbane

How can you claim to prefer to the cost of living in Australia over Canada?
From your source

Local Purchasing Power in Toronto is 0.23% higher than in Sydney

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedCost of Living Comparison Between Sydney, Australia And Toronto, Canada

and why not compare the two second cities?

Local Purchasing Power in Montreal is 10.75% lower than in Melbourne

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedCost of Living Comparison Between Melbourne, Australia And Montreal, Canada

and the two third largest Cities

Local Purchasing Power in Vancouver is 0.14% lower than in Brisbane

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedCost of Living Comparison Between Brisbane, Australia And Vancouver, Canada

Australia is more expensive, but higher wages seem to make up the difference.

Edit:
I have no idea about the accuracy of that data either, according to Numbeo a person in Melbourne Earns about 25% more than a person in Brisbane, yet the Australian Census (completed by 90% of the population) Indicated that both personal and family incomes are higher in Brisbane than in Melbourne, makes you wonder numbeo can be relied upon at all.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 07:27 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,823,200 times
Friendliness: both
Lifestyle: australia
Weather: australia
Nightlife: neither one
Tourist attractions: both
Economic diversity: both
Cultural contribution: neither one (I am not including australian aborigines and first peoples of canada)
Urban living: neither one (both too suburban and car dependent)
History: neither one (not including aborigines and first nations)
Architecture: both
Transportation: both are bad (too car dependent like the US)
Education: both
Natural scenery: both
Cost of Living: canada
Political Stability: both
Economical Stability: both

Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 AM

9,980 posts, read 12,320,597 times
Quote:
Some of these answers really make me scratch my head.

Political stability: Canada. Seriously? Is the breakup of Australia a standard feature of politics? Less than two decades ago, Canada's largest and second most populous province only voted by a margin of only 1% (!) to stay part of Canada.

Cost of Living: Australia. Australia is hands down much more expensive than Canada.

A brief comparison of Sydney and Toronto, and Brisbane and Montreal on Numbeo.com:

Consumer Prices in Toronto are 21.40% lower than in Sydney
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Toronto are 26.89% lower than in Sydney
Rent Prices in Toronto are 35.31% lower than in Sydney
Restaurant Prices in Toronto are 14.93% lower than in Sydney
Groceries Prices in Toronto are 17.36% lower than in Sydney

Consumer Prices in Montreal are 20.99% lower than in Brisbane
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Montreal are 28.41% lower than in Brisbane
Rent Prices in Montreal are 44.15% lower than in Brisbane
Restaurant Prices in Montreal are 21.58% lower than in Brisbane
Groceries Prices in Montreal are 9.69% lower than in Brisbane
Local Purchasing Power in Montreal is 8.00% higher than in Brisbane

How can you claim to prefer to the cost of living in Australia over Canada?

Weather: Canada. Really? So where all you people who love shoveling snow in the dark in real life? Let me know when people flock to Edmonton in February just to lay out under the dark and experience some good ol' below freezing temperatures.

Here are the average monthly temperatures at the warmest time of day for a Canadian city on the border of the US:

Jan: −13
Feb: -8
March: -1
April: 10
May: 18
June: 23
Jul: 26
Aug: 25
Sep: 19
Oct: 10
Nov: -0.5
Dec: -10

vs.

History: Australia. Yeah, because being a remote colony of the British is much more interesting than being the French Empire, and then British Empire, having wars between them, being part of the American Revolution, the various First Nations peoples from Eskimos to Huron, Catholics vs. Protestants, Francophones vs. Anglophones, westward expansion, and so on. By the time Australia even received it's first settler Canada had already been around for nearly 200 years!

In 1838-39 Canadians even fought the British Empire for independence, but lost:
I prefer 4 season climates that get snow so I'd actually prefer to live in Edmonton other Brisbane or Sydney.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I prefer 4 season climates that get snow so I'd actually prefer to live in Edmonton other Brisbane or Sydney.
Thats what people from places like England always claim, without having any clue what it is like to freeze your butt off for most of your waking life. It is easy to make these claims when the temperatures are just numbers on a screen. Four seasons, maybe in Toronto and Montreal, Edmonton is just winter, crazy winter, light winter and spring.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thats what people from places like England always claim, without having any clue what it is like to freeze your butt off for most of your waking life. It is easy to make these claims when the temperatures are just numbers on a screen. Four seasons, maybe in Toronto and Montreal, Edmonton is just winter, crazy winter, light winter and spring.
You'd need to experience a Canadian winter before making such a claim.. Even Montreal and Toronto are not exactly pleasant in winter - Edmonton is well umm yeah here is the forecast (at time of writing -35 c on Nov 30th)

Edmonton, Alberta - 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network

Having said all that, a little melodramatic with the freeze your butt off most of your waking life claim lol.. For the majority of Canadians we aren't 'freezing' from April - November so as opposed to freezing our butts off most of our waking life - its more like a third.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-30-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World