U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,701,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Ancient Greece and the Romans, just to make a quick example, beg to disagree
I often think of the Romans in these weather discussions. They considered Britannia the 'land of eternal winter' and named Ireland 'Hibernia' (Winterland). In their depictions of Romano-Britons they show us not people wearing togas and sandals but people wearing 'winter attire' such as socks, leg bindings, hats, and closed-toed shoes. I wonder what they would think of Toronto!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 PM

13,674 posts, read 13,972,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
.... at the risk of fuelling a stereotype...
they're not always cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRddLDynsCs
Dude - I posted that earlier when that guy Joe from NZ said that he would choose Australia over Canada because he's afraid of Grizzly Bears haha.. I actually posted the exact same fight and stated that you'd more likely find this than a Grizzly in the middle of Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver..

Anyway that vid is truly one of the best things i've ever seen!! Classic...... One thing is for certain - Kangaroo's are the coolest animal in either Canada or Australia - they are a riot!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,701,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

#CANADAownsaustralia
False. America owns both of you.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I often think of the Romans in these weather discussions. They considered Britannia the 'land of eternal winter' and named Ireland 'Hibernia' (Winterland). In their depictions of Romano-Britons they show us not people wearing togas and sandals but people wearing 'winter attire' such as socks, leg bindings, hats, and closed-toed shoes. I wonder what they would think of Toronto!
Oh they'd probably loooove it - especially The villiage - lots of brotherly love and Sauna's.. It would also give em an excuse to dress up...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
zzzzzzz i'm sorry who depends on who for energy bwahahahaha.... We don't need yer energy hun... Actually a good thread - Australia/Canada vs U.S in the world forums... Who'd you think would get PHHHOWNED

Old 12-01-2014, 11:50 PM

11,260 posts, read 15,519,962 times
Quote:

Okay, Biff. lol

Canada:

America:

[IMG][/IMG]

Can V US

Oh......Australia:

Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 16,258,561 times
^^HAHahahaHa

I love that

Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 AM

25,885 posts, read 34,627,756 times
Quote:
C'est vrai.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 AM

24,257 posts, read 23,217,498 times
Quote:
Nobody goes for tourism in Yellowknife or in Whitehorse....but millions flock to Palm Springs and Las Vegas
You seriously suggest people flock to Las Vegas because of the weather?

Quote:
Heating won't help you on a walk outside.....and the thousands of granmas and granpas strolling on the streets of Palm Springs in summer do not have wearable AC backpack either....

You still have not replied to Hobbesdj question...why we do have snowbirds from Canada or the northern part of the US and not people from the US going the other way??
Do you really see granmas and granpas strolling out in 42C weather in Palm Springs? I doubt it.

As I said, people prefer comfortable temperatures. Even Phoenix is comfortable in winter.

Quote:
Each of these are interlinked, and humans have been able to create all of these conditions except for climate. Until we learn how control the weather and sun we will not be able to build that city in central Nunavut. So Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as cities like Helsinki, Stockholm, and Oslo (and Vancouver, Quebec City, and Edmonton) meet what appear to be the minimum requirements of what is necessary for significant human settlement. But north of these cities there are no significant population centers, and it is due to climate more than anything.
No, it is not. The main reason why Scandinavia is sparsely populated is that during the last ice age people had to live in the most southern parts of Europe, which itself was tundralike. When the ice sheet retreated, people started to move northwards, but migration was dangerous and small scale. If France had 100,000 people in 5000 BC and Finland 8000, it's quite natural that France became the larger country. Meanwhile, in early medieval times people couldn't move, and when France started to get overpopulated, people died of famine. If those people would've been able to move to sparsely populated Finland, most of them would've survived.

Quote:
Not much wood in an arctic cold desert either...
Neither one has trees, not cold or hot deserts.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 AM

25,885 posts, read 34,627,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Neither one has trees, not cold or hot deserts.
And that's the problem I also have with saturno's argument that extremely hot desert areas are not necessarily "less bad" than extremely cold Arctic desert areas.

Last edited by Acajack; 12-02-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World