Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

As I said, people prefer comfortable temperatures. Even Phoenix is comfortable in winter.

And for most people what feels naturally comfortable is between 15C and 25C. Not -20C, and not +40C either. Then, a significant portion of the human population is relatively OK with temperatures between about -5C and +15C, or between 25C and 35C.

Few places in the world are always between 15C-25C. At least, there aren't so many of them where there is also something economically viable to sustain a large population.

Most of us live in places where we have some level of climactic discomfort during the year. It's a compromise we make.

Not a big deal since climate is only a small part of what makes your life good or bad.

I live in a Dfb continental climate. Cold, snowy winters and warm to hot summers. Of everyone I know even by loose association I don't know anyone who has moved during his or her working age years for reasons of climate. And I know people from all over the world who have settled here. I've known people who have moved away for sure, but in those who have moved to the States for example it's been for jobs, and more have actually moved to the northern and middle states (places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC) than have to the south. As I said, for living most of your life it does not seem to be a factor.

Of course I do know lots of snowbirds who go down to Florida for part of the year, but these are retirees, not working age people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Dude - I posted that earlier when that guy Joe from NZ said that he would choose Australia over Canada because he's afraid of Grizzly Bears haha.. I actually posted the exact same fight and stated that you'd more likely find this than a Grizzly in the middle of Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver..

Anyway that vid is truly one of the best things i've ever seen!! Classic...... One thing is for certain - Kangaroo's are the coolest animal in either Canada or Australia - they are a riot!
Kangaroos are pretty cool it is true... though rarely cute I'd say. (Speaking from experience.)

Also speaking from experience, hysteria over grizzlies aside, there are way more creatures that can kill you in Australia than in Canada. And those dangerous creatures tend to live in closer proximity to you in Australia than in Canada. Unless you have a specific allergy to something, just picnicking in a park or going to the beach in Canada there is zero danger from anything that might bite you with a dangerous poison or attack you. The danger is fairly low in Australia too (I don't want to exaggerate it) but as I said there are always more dangerous creatures in the vicinity there when compared to here.

Last edited by Acajack; 12-02-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You seriously suggest people flock to Las Vegas because of the weather?
Absolutely yes, far more than people going there for gambling....then you heave Phoenix and other hot places.

Quote:
Do you really see granmas and granpas strolling out in 42C weather in Palm Springs? I doubt it.
Definitely, see it for yourself.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM

I think that climate with respect to personal comfort is one thing, and it's very personal. But it's obvious that for most people's tastes Australia usually offers a more comfortable climate than Canada does.

As for things to do, as I said I still think that there isn't really anything you can't do outdoors in Australia that can't be done in Canada in a given year. Every year.

Surfing has been raised but you can also surf in Canada on either coast. Is it as awesome as surfing on the Gold Coast? No, but the surfing in Canada is a lot better than stuff like cross-country skiing is in Australia. Which you can't really do in Australia, though you can sometimes do some downhill in very small areas of two Aussie states only.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Surfing has been raised but you can also surf in Canada on either coast. Is it as awesome as surfing on the Gold Coast? No, but the surfing in Canada is a lot better than stuff like cross-country skiing is in Australia. Which you can't really do in Australia, though you can sometimes do some downhill in very small areas of two Aussie states only.
Cross country skiing is actually reasonably popular here, and certainly something you can do in NSW, Vic and Tas.

Here's just one of many cross country ski schools / clubs: K7 Kosciuszko Adventures :: Cross Country Skiing / Skate Skiing

The down hill ski fields are pretty reliable, with the season usually running from mid June to mid October. This is the link to Perisher, one of the larger one s in NSW and fairly typical of most Australian resorts: http://www.perisher.com.au

Last edited by Richard1098; 12-02-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Cross country skiing is actually reasonably popular here, and certainly something you can do in NSW, Vic and Tas.

Here's just one of many cross country ski schools / clubs: K7 Kosciuszko Adventures :: Cross Country Skiing / Skate Skiing

The down hill ski fields are pretty reliable, with the season usually running from mid June to mid October. This is the link to Perisher, one of the larger one s in NSW and fairly typical of most Australian resorts: Perisher - Home
So then both countries are very similar in what they offer as far as recreational pursuits. Though obviously some specific offerings are more abundant in one or the other.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:

As for things to do, as I said I still think that there isn't really anything you can't do outdoors in Australia that can't be done in Canada in a given year. Every year.
I think we did discuss this already...at least on the west coast no swimming in the ocean for Canadians, no cozy tropical coves in any place in Canada...lakes are not the same thing

Quote:
Surfing has been raised but you can also surf in Canada on either coast. Is it as awesome as surfing on the Gold Coast? No, but the surfing in Canada is a lot better than stuff like cross-country skiing is in Australia. .
I would say, in a very general way, it is about the same...surfing in Canada sucks and cross country skiing in Australia is not that spectacular either...you can do it but is not the same thing.

You can "technically" swim in the ocean in Canada as you can "technically" ski in Australia....two sides of the same coin.

For proper beach life Canadians have to flock south and for serious skiing Australians have to fly to New Zealand.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Kangaroos are pretty cool it is true... though rarely cute I'd say. (Speaking from experience.)

Ok - they look cute but aren't always 'cute' - there's a dif

Old 12-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

For proper beach life Canadians have to flock south and for serious skiing Australians have to fly to New Zealand.
What the heck is 'proper' beach life anyways.... Do people who actually study or work actually have time for a 'beach' life lol....

Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...lakes are not the same thing
They both contain water and you can swim in them.....

Wasaga Beach...

Sand, Sun and water... no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkGJN1tROMc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World