Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Yes, as we said before nobody here is stating that you cannot technically swim in the water in some places in Canada......the same for skiing, you can technically ski in Australia and you do have mountains....but I would not dare to compare the Snowy Mountains of Australia to the Rockies so please do not compare the great lakes beaches with Australia beaches...that's all....
I get your point but skiing is a bit different from a beach though in that the size of the mountain and snowfall make a big difference in the skier's experience. Good beach conditions are much easier to achieve: warm water is warm water, sun is sun, sand is sand.

But a small hill as opposed to a really big mountain is not the same thing at all.

Vertical drop at Whistler is 1500 m. At Tremblant it's maybe about 800 m. At Perisher it's about 350 m. And we aren't even talking about the reliability of snowfall yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get your point but skiing is a bit different from a beach though in that the size of the mountain and snowfall make a big difference in the skier's experience. Good beach conditions are much easier to achieve: warm water is warm water, sun is sun, sand is sand.

You see, probably because you are not born in a warm southern locale you cannot easily see the difference that is so evident to me and Hobbesdj and many others.

No, water is not water, sun is not just sun and sand is not sand.

Sand consistency
Colors of everything (sand, water, seabed, sky)
Marine life.
Current, waves
Sunset colors
Fragrance in the air in many southern locations, even the odor of the ocean is different.
Pass me the term, the "quality" of the heat itself....in certain locales I can comfortable be in my swim trunks after sunset laying on the beach very happily...even in the middle of the summer in coastal BC or in Washington or Oregon at night it gets chilly and at the first whiff of wind you need more clothing....a daily peak of 30+ in Vancouver or Seattle is not a constant 30 in San Diego.....

In summer I go to a nice cove along Lake Washington for a dip (a quick very quick dip)...it is actually a very nice place, beautiful scenery....but it has nothing to do with a proper beach...it's like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Corvette...they have both 4 wheels, they can take you from A to B, they are both Chevrolets and they may even share few components...and actually the Malibu is more comfortable...this is where the analogy stops.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-03-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
You see, probably because you are not born in a warm southern locale you cannot easily see the difference that is so evident to me and Hobbesdj and many others.

No, water is not water, sun is not just sun and sand is not sand.

Sand consistency
Colors of everything (sand, water, seabed, sky)
Marine life.
Current, waves
Sunset colors
Fragrance in the air in many southern locations, even the odor of the ocean is different.
Pass me the term, the "quality" of the heat itself....in certain locales I can comfortable be in my swim trunks after sunset laying on the beach very happily...even in the middle of the summer in coastal BC or in Washington or Oregon at night it gets chilly and at the first whiff of wind you need more clothing....a daily peak of 30+ in Vancouver or Seattle is not a constant 30 in San Diego.....

In summer I go to a nice cove along Lake Washington for a dip (a quick very quick dip)...it is actually a very nice place, beautiful scenery....but it has nothing to do with a proper beach...it's like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Corvette...they have both 4 wheels, they can take you from A to B, they are both Chevrolets and they may even share few components...and actually the Malibu is more comfortable...this is where the analogy stops.
Once again this is mostly personal preference.

Your comments about sand reminded me of how so many of the most famous beaches (such as on the Mediterranean) are actually pebbles (in French we say galets) as opposed to fine sand. I don't find that that provides a great beach experience for me, regardless of how awesome the scenery is in the surroundings.

Thankfully in Australia it's beautiful soft sand generally...

Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Once again this is mostly personal preference.

No it's the personal preference of the vast majority of people that hear the words "beach life".

Ask to 10 people what places comes to mind when you say "beach vacation"...the Great Lakes, Nova Scotia, BC or Australia/Florida, the Caribbean, etc... and wait for the results.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
I've been to Bondi, I've been to Surfers Paradise. They are nice beaches for sure but I still maintain there's nothing that spectacular about Bondi as shown in the video for example compared to Wasaga or Sandbanks. Or Parlee Beach at Shediac or Brackley or Cavendish on PEI.

Now... Cape Tribulation in northern Queensland. Now you're talking.
Eh, Bondi is nothing special.
Yes, Cape Tribulation... there are so many better beaches than Bondi.
My favourite beach, has a national park running alongside. I can be the only person for miles.... one thing we do have is incredible beaches.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Eh, Bondi is nothing special.
Nothing special compared to what?? It's an city beach, you cannot expect to be empty and along a national park
I take Bondi or Cronulla over any beach in Canada...

Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
No it's the personal preference of the vast majority of people that hear the words "beach life".
Can some PLEASE tell me what "beach life" is - sounds like people who have no job or goals in life... It would be the same as living the Ski life... Aside from a professional skier - I don't know anyone who lives the Ski life in Canada... People who teach people to ski possibly.. Do people in Australia go to the beach at lunch time or go to the beach after work/school?... Every weekend do most Australian people live at the beach... ??

Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Can some PLEASE tell me what "beach life" is -
Finish your working day, going for a swim, surfing, or any other sea/beach sport activities, sipping a drink basking in the sun, a fire after sunset in your swim trunks, etc

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Nothing special compared to what?? It's an city beach, you cannot expect to be empty and along a national park
Yes Australia has nicer beaches than Canada and Canada has bigger mountains... Yippie..

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
errr. Yeah I know that. Its nothing special compared to other beaches in Australia.

Its an average beach. Its a city beach, its over-crowded. Bondi - Bronte walk is the best thing about it.

And, Canada has things we do not have. Its a very naturally beautiful country. I think its pointless to compare, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World