U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,664,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
So the answer is no. I don't know why you couldnt just say that.

If you havent lived in both types of climates then you have no idea what you are talking about. It's all speculation until then. I dont mean to be offensive but its the truth. Until you have actually lived in both a cold and a warm climate you have no room to say what you prefer and don't. I used to be alot like you: "I prefer it cold Im happy right here"...turns out I didnt know what I was talking about until I actually tried living in a warm climate. Not visiting, living. I hope you get this chance someday to experience living and letting your body adapt to a different climate.
Great points. It's impossible for someone who has lived in only one climate their entire life to accurately talk about what climate they "prefer" to live in. Once upon a time I thought I preferred Canadian weather until I actually lived in it. Turns out what I thought I preferred was dead wrong. But I didn't know until I gave myself a chance to experience it. So I take it with a grain of salt when someone who has only lived in one climate tells me what climate they prefer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM

13,346 posts, read 13,556,229 times
Quote:
You don't know until you have tried it.

Until you live in Cuba or Thailand and your body acclimates you can't talk. And there is a great difference between humid areas like those and places that are warm with little humidity like LA. This is like debating about what its like to play in the snow with a person who has only seen pictures of it. You need to be more open minded my friend. I sincerely hope that in the future you have the pleasure of expanding your horizons and living life outside of your current self imposed boundaries.

P.S. My favorite seasons are fall in Boston and winter in SD. Good try though.
In red - not really Larry... Someone who has seen pictures of snow but hasn't visited or lived in a place with it is not the same as someone who lives in a 4 season climate and has experienced it all.. I've not only visited places with sun but a Toronto summer isn't exactly cold.. Look at Boston - you like the fall as you've admitted - you prolly like the spring and summer is obviously ok for you - so Larry 4 months of bleak weather a year for you is THAT much of a dealbreaker... Your Q.O.L has improved that much because you have adapted to a year San Diego climate.. Perhaps with some there is a greater inclination to developing S.A.D and are prone to depression more than most others. I mean for some to actually move somewhere with year round nice weather, I don't know why but maybe there was something inate that drives people to such. I'm not judging - they made the right decision for themself but they can't presume just because of their own experience that it would be the same for everyone else. For some yes, but for other no... Knowing what I know about myself i'd say probably not..

One thing I can say - if I lived in San Diego - I'd miss alot of things about where I'm from and some of that would be the weather as well..... Now the Sailors in San Diego - that may be what actually helps me to endure such horrid year round weather conditions lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-03-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Great points. It's impossible for someone who has lived in only one climate their entire life to accurately talk about what climate they "prefer" to live in. Once upon a time I thought I preferred Canadian weather until I actually lived in it. Turns out what I thought I preferred was dead wrong. But I didn't know until I gave myself a chance to experience it. So I take it with a grain of salt when someone who has only lived in one climate tells me what climate they prefer.
So why the heck do you live in Maryland.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=maryl...w&ved=0CCYQsAQ

Just move to San Diego already and live with Larry

Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,664,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So why the heck do you live in Maryland.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=maryl...w&ved=0CCYQsAQ

Just move to San Diego already and live with Larry
Because I said I prefer not to live in Canadian weather. The weather in Maryland is much warmer than anywhere in Canada. In fact, Maryland felt practically tropical coming here after Quebec. I didnt say anything about trying to get away from borderline humid subtropical/hot summer continental weather. If I did move for weather I would bypass San Diego and go straight for Honolulu - it's crossed my mind many times.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:23 PM

25,722 posts, read 33,913,027 times
My point isn't that Canadian beaches are every bit as awesome as Australian beaches. My point is that it's incorrect to state that most Canadians can't enjoy time at the beach for a good portion of the year.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 47,495 times
Quote:
Because I said I prefer not to live in Canadian weather. The weather in Maryland is much warmer than anywhere in Canada. In fact, Maryland felt practically tropical coming here after Quebec. I didnt say anything about trying to get away from borderline humid subtropical/hot summer continental weather. If I did move for weather I would bypass San Diego and go straight for Honolulu - it's crossed my mind many times.
Bro don't bother this guy obviously doesn't get it. At least you lived there before deciding you dont like the weather. Our royalist friend here isnt quite as enlightened.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM

25,722 posts, read 33,913,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well going to the beach occasionally is ok... Having one close is a plus but I have a feeling most working people in Sydney go home after work, cook dinner for the kids - help them with the homework and than watch boring TV show's with their boring spouse... Do Australians make it a neverending point to bash everyone in non tropical countries in the world about their lack of 'beach' cred... holy smokes I mean The national flag of Australia should be a picture of a beach... You guys take alot of pride in em... Well some of you do -WOW lol...
Yeah, well. We got a decent dusting of snow today so in theory I could have gone out for a bit of x-country skiing this evening. But I didn't because I had a bunch of practical life things to take care of as usual. I suppose 95% or more of Sydneysiders didn't go to the beach today either, even if the weather might have allowed for it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Bro don't bother this guy obviously doesn't get it. At least you lived there before deciding you dont like the weather. Our royalist friend here isnt quite as enlightened.
Ah so the shoe drops there eh... At first it was just about the weather but than it quickly turns into Anti-Canadianism and cheap shots about Canada... You're soooo funny and lighthearted... just some friendly jest - uhem..

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post37508585

Umm btw... yer in Australia vs Canada - both are commonwealth countries - in the 'royal dominion' and have the Queen as their H.O.S..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-03-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah - convince yourself that the U.S Northeast and Midwest have just wonderful winters... The same arguments against Canada (cold winters relative to real tropical climates, not based on Hobbesdj tropical measurements) could largely be made against the U.S where almost 150 million people live.. Oddly enough, the U.S northeast is the most densely populated and culturally diverse part of the U.S..

Anyway, Mr Carver doesn't want to hear back from you until you've done your time in Honolulu..

Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, well. We got a decent dusting of snow today so in theory I could have gone out for a bit of x-country skiing this evening. But I didn't because I had a bunch of practical life things to take care of as usual. I suppose 95% or more of Sydneysiders didn't go to the beach today either, even if the weather might have allowed for it.
The is the reality for those of us who live in the real world having to make a real living ie.. those of us who aren't teenagers or partying away their College years and have graduated to the point in life called 'adulthood'..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World