U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:17 PM

342 posts, read 480,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No they are sandbars, unappealing in color, often full of rotting logs...and no they are not beautiful, not in my book and in many others including on this thread...

Yes, how many people you see on the water in that video clip?? Nat please, come on be serious....

Yes youd do...you forget that I live in the same "neighborhood" and I come up quite often.....summer nights are rarely pleasant and balmy temperature wise....it is the exception not the rule.

Yes it is personal preference of the majority of people that do not find the Northwest beaches that great at all, especially the ones not in the open ocean.

You always have this "Vancouver centric" urban approach which you consider your downtown the benchmark to be judged against...sometimes I question if you are really well traveled as you claim to be.

Few people wants to live in downtown Seattle, downtown here is mainly for business not for living...always been like that and always will be....many desirable areas to live in Seattle have easy access to beaches....which they suck exactly as the Vancouver "beaches" suck.

Psst....people skinny dip in Moscow in January........
Natnasci is talking rubbish and she knows it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 PM

10,698 posts, read 15,351,327 times
Just because a place has tropical or subtropical beaches doesn't mean they are inherently better than temperate ones like in Vancouver. When I lived in the south of China (Shenzhen to be exact), while the weather was warm and humid, the beaches were disgusting. There was often garbage and who knows what else was floating in the water and I only went in once and was afraid to open my mouth in case I got some disease lol. The beaches were also crowded and just not as pleasant in general as the beaches here. I'd take a Vancouver beach in the summer any day compared to those subtropical beaches.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:06 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,863,499 times
Quote:
rotting logs? The logs are kept there and arranged in rows by the city. It's a feature of beaches in this part of the world. Many love the beach " furniture ".
Yes, often rotting logs....and not very attractive "furniture".

Quote:
first video clip was a drum circle...people were not there to swim...besides..it showed a very tiny portion of the beach.
The second is autumn or winter.
Nat, again, please be serious....very few gutsy people swim in our Northwest ocean waters...do not be ridiculous.

Quote:
you must be thin blooded. ( this does not surprise me ) lol
No, simply you are used to that weather after years....some people walk in short sleeves in Calgary during the Chinook in winter....it does not mean that is generally considered pleasant....

Quote:
i'd like to see the poll you have done.
Really?? Do you need a poll to figure out if a nice tropical beach is considered much better?? Just ask around....

Quote:
hate to break it to you, but vancouver is considered a model of north american urbanity. That's why city planners around north america have come to vancouver to study " vancouverism "
Nat, lay down the bong and the propaganda leaflets...there is nothing special about "Vancouverism" just the usual pompous self serving PR rivel to sell RE...and please spare me from posting links to Wikipedia or other sites..I read them....so it's your turn to read also the criticism about it.

Quote:
again, personal preferences.
No, different city.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-05-2014 at 04:33 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Just because a place has tropical or subtropical beaches doesn't mean they are inherently better than temperate ones like in Vancouver. When I lived in the south of China (Shenzhen to be exact), while the weather was warm and humid, the beaches were disgusting. There was often garbage and who knows what else was floating in the water and I only went in once and was afraid to open my mouth in case I got some disease lol. The beaches were also crowded and just not as pleasant in general as the beaches here. I'd take a Vancouver beach in the summer any day compared to those subtropical beaches.
Nobody has ever said that every beach tropical or subtropical locales is beautiful...far from it...

Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Natnasci is talking rubbish and she knows it.

Yes he knows...sometimes he just likes to argue for the sake of arguing....

Tomorrow morning I will catch my plane to San Antonio......a stroll on the San Antonio river walk in 22 C weather....such a shame...who wants that when you can have beautiful 9 C and rain here in the Northwest?...

Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 AM

10,698 posts, read 15,351,327 times
Quote:
Nobody has ever said that every beach tropical or subtropical locales is beautiful...far from it...
No but you said that temperate locations like Vancouver and Toronto don't have real beaches. I am just pointing out that some tropical and subtropical locations have worse beaches than temperate ones. You can't paint everything with the same brush

Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,267,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good point about U.S productivity vs Canadian - seems to make perfect sense.

As for the Toronto part - well I don't hear or read many pleasant things that many say about it in Canada.. There are few countries in the world where the largest city in the country is so maligned by most of the country as Toronto is in Canada. Most of it is completely nonsensical and irrational but something many of us are aware of and experience.. All I need to do is travel around the country and say where i'm from.. Try it for fun when you travel sometime and say to strangers around Canada you're from Toronto and see the general reaction. Query them why the negative response and i'm sure you'll get what i'm saying
Very true. The Toronto bashing in Canada is stupid. And incredibly rude.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:15 AM

2,831 posts, read 2,915,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It looks like the Australian posters have all but abandoned this thread.. Its now 'some' Americans trying to convince Canadians about how much our weather sucks, how much our beaches suck and how unenlighened we are that we haven't seen 'the way'
... funny thing is posters like saturno_v are not even American... more like wannabe Americans on a perpetual Green Card waiting list. And they have the galls to use our country to bash Canada in a Canada vs. Australia thread.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:55 PM

13,667 posts, read 13,972,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That is pretty much it.
I do think most people would find Australian weather more appealing than Canada - but that isn't the case for everyone and adapting to 4 months of wintery weather isn't all that bad - you can actually make the best it and enjoy it! I don't need to take anti-depressants in the winter and quite enjoy snow over Christmas - if that makes me an alien than i'm an alien and proud of it!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-05-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM

17,495 posts, read 13,244,329 times
Quote:
Yes he knows...sometimes he just likes to argue for the sake of arguing....

Tomorrow morning I will catch my plane to San Antonio......a stroll on the San Antonio river walk in 22 C weather....such a shame...who wants that when you can have beautiful 9 C and rain here in the Northwest?...

The weekend forecast for San Antonio is rain...highs of 18 C though, but still rain.

Part of your argument that I find fault with is exactly what you posted. You seem to be hanging onto the fact that Vancouver and Seattle, are not year round sunbathing places, and that makes them less in your eyes.

My posts have always said that what I like about Vancouver's beaches is the seasons. Doing different things on the beach at different times of the year.

Enjoy your trip and don't fall into the river on the Riverwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World